Search
Notices
Southern California Regional Rides and Events Southern California

Arroyo Fest 2023

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 12:41 PM
Allegro Doug

Bikes: early 60's Allegro is my main ride, also own a Trek for off-road, and adopted a friends nice 80's era Bottechia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Arroyo Fest 2023

momoman first alerted us to the possibility of this great event: closing down the Pasadena Freeway (route 110) for a few hours on Sunday, October 29. Folks will walk, skateboard, and ride up and down the thoroughfare that was originally designed as a bike path. The logistics of shutting down a freeway must be daunting: Caltrans, City of Pasadena, City of LA, everyone had to be brought on board. Come out and enjoy the morning! More details and specifics at 626goldenstreets dot com.
Old 10-27-23, 11:05 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 92 Posts
It’s happening this Sunday. My guess is that’s it’s going to be a free for all and not much of a ride, unless you get there very early and line up at the front.

Read Item #6

20 yrs ago this is what it looked like. Just imagine more people going in BOTH directions! I’ll be there early with my blue De Rosa SLX and Molteni wool jersey.

This was in 2003. There will be a 10k race first, then walkers in BOTH directions will be in the southbound lane.

There will be cyclists in BOTH directions in the northbound lane this time.

Unlike 2003, cyclists and skaters will be on one side of the freeway, and runners, walkers, strollers will be on the other side. Both sides of the freeway will have bidirectional traffic.
Old 11-02-23, 12:44 PM
facewizard

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 2012 Trek Earl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I took a group of folks here starting around 9 AM. It was unbelievably crowded! I saw several crashes, most involving small children getting tangled up under their parents.

Not sure how I really feel about the decision to put all the bikes on one side of the freeway--or the decision to keep volunteers off the actual riding area. This meant that it was very difficult to enter the route while going south--you had to cross an endless stream of bike traffic without any Ciclavia-style volunteers to do traffic coordination. It was also very difficult to exit the riding area via the freeway exits while going south. Zero volunteers on the road also made it difficult to know where the hubs were located.

I hope they get a chance to do this again--and I hope they choose to put a large number of Ciclavia-style volunteers in place to handle traffic and react to crashes and accidents. I didn't see anyone reacting to the several accidents I saw.

I had a great time but the event did make me think once again about what a masterfully run event Ciclavia is. I've been aware this whole time that Ciclavia is a huge accomplishment and very impressive, but seeing something a bit more slapdash really drove it home, haha. Luckily the folks who ran Arroyofest can learn best practices locally!!
Old 11-08-23, 06:24 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
There will be cyclists in BOTH directions in the northbound lane this time.

Unlike 2003, cyclists and skaters will be on one side of the freeway, and runners, walkers, strollers will be on the other side. Both sides of the freeway will have bidirectional traffic.
tmnguuyen Is that you in this pic on right side in what looks like the Bianchi jersey I sold you?