Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle shops of the past: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 07:07 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

A final posting from me on the final night of 2004. Name some bike shops of the past, for your given area. Talk about good ones, bad ones, or the ones you fondly remember.

Boston area:

Laughing Alley: Actually, a decent shop, located in Allston. I bought a Trek 560 there, in early 1985.
No one seems to know what caused them to vanish. I heard it was just a matter of not paying their bills for too long, and the creditors shutting them down. Anyone know anything?

A Worthy Bicycle: There were two, one in Waltham, another in yuppie newtonville. It should have been called "A worthless Bicycle shop". Sort of like the bike department at K-Mart, Their "trained mechanics" used automotive tools and WD-40, and not much else.

Waltham Bargain Center: Take a walk into the back room, where all the work was done. Smell familiar? Yes indeed, that would be stale booze and cigarette smoke. Gone and forgotten, and that's a good thing.

Hi Roads: Warehouse store marketing applied to bicycle shops. Famous for the "indoor test riding track, where you can test ride your bike in safety and comfort". Their "knowledgable staff" suffered a huge turnover problem. Bad idea.

Lincoln Guide Service: I miss this one. It closed in January of 2000 I think. The owner even welcomed cyclists who just felt like a "stop and talk" time on Sunday afternoons. What I heard: The owner literally owned the building and land it sat on outright. It was worth a lot, and he was given an offer for it that he could not refuse, as he had been thinking about retirement. Alas.
Old 12-31-04, 11:46 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Years ago There used to be a shop down in Sandwich on cape cod. I think it Was just called True Wheels. Does it still exist?
Old 01-03-05, 11:45 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I'm from the Atlanta area but about fifteen years ago when I went to LA on business you could visit Two Wheel Transit (I think that was the name) in Huntington Beach, Performance, Supergo and another big store I can't remember the name of....all in five minute drive. It was way cool. Alas, they did not all survive.
Old 01-03-05, 01:13 PM
tulip

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tumbleweed Cyclery in Chapel Hill, NC was a neat place. I guess small shops are hard to keep afloat.
Old 01-03-05, 01:36 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Covebike - not really local but about as hardcore as you could get. At any time you could walk in and see a pro hanging out. All of the newest bikes hanging on the roof, place was always slightly disheveled and the smell of bike lubes and greases permeated the through the building. The riders all rode, if they talked they could walk it to.

dizzy cycles - likely the polar opposite of cove. The riders all still rode, but this place has the atmosphere of clean. Everything is bright and colourful. The sales people are sales people, you don't have to hunt them down.

John Henry - The wallmart of bikes for bc. They have everything and everything on display. First time I saw a rohollf ripped apart. Big, bright, every kind of bike under the sun.

Really I don't shop locally, to expensive, but if I do go to a lbs it is 3 hours away in vancouver and above are 3 of them.
Old 01-03-05, 02:01 PM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 20 years ago or so I lived just outside Montclair NJ for a while. I remember a couple of old style shops in that area that were really cool. I can't recall their names, but their images will always pop into my mind whenever someone mentions bike shops. They were small, with wooden floors and glass cases under the cash register where the shiny Campy parts (that I could never afford) were displayed. Packed with bikes on either side of the store and smelling of rubber, grease & chain lube. They were great.
Old 05-06-18, 11:12 AM
Drtyn8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
A final posting from me on the final night of 2004. Name some bike shops of the past, for your given area. Talk about good ones, bad ones, or the ones you fondly remember.

Boston area:

Laughing Alley: Actually, a decent shop, located in Allston. I bought a Trek 560 there, in early 1985.
No one seems to know what caused them to vanish. I heard it was just a matter of not paying their bills for too long, and the creditors shutting them down. Anyone know anything?

A Worthy Bicycle: There were two, one in Waltham, another in yuppie newtonville. It should have been called "A worthless Bicycle shop". Sort of like the bike department at K-Mart, Their "trained mechanics" used automotive tools and WD-40, and not much else.

Waltham Bargain Center: Take a walk into the back room, where all the work was done. Smell familiar? Yes indeed, that would be stale booze and cigarette smoke. Gone and forgotten, and that's a good thing.

Hi Roads: Warehouse store marketing applied to bicycle shops. Famous for the "indoor test riding track, where you can test ride your bike in safety and comfort". Their "knowledgable staff" suffered a huge turnover problem. Bad idea.

Lincoln Guide Service: I miss this one. It closed in January of 2000 I think. The owner even welcomed cyclists who just felt like a "stop and talk" time on Sunday afternoons. What I heard: The owner literally owned the building and land it sat on outright. It was worth a lot, and he was given an offer for it that he could not refuse, as he had been thinking about retirement. Alas.
the alley was my uncles shop I loved going there to visit got to ride whatever I could I think I may still have a t shirt somewhere around in the attic. And I know more then a couple of my bikes came from there. It was nice growing up with access like that.
Old 05-06-18, 11:50 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Eddie Bicycle in Québec.
The best in my book.
They don't treat newbie questions likw newbie questions.
They don't sell junk and their prices are practically the same as on the Net.
We get along great.
Old 05-06-18, 02:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Only One here, they do what they can, summer Sales have to carry over the costs of staying open the other 3 seasons.
Old 05-06-18, 04:08 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 97 Posts
Zombie thread.

Il Vecchio, Seattle. I miss George.
Old 05-06-18, 08:47 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
The shop I worked in in high school: Racine Cyclery. Was pretty much a straight Schwinn and Raleigh shop in the 70s. Started by Jerry Oksiuta and his wife Marge. Jerry was a US Marine veteran of the Pacific Theatre in WWII. More wonderful people it would be hard to find. They hired, trained, and positively influence a lot of young men. After their retirement one of their sons ran it with his wife and son for many years, and it did well and survived well into the age of internet shopping, but its hard to compete with tax-free shopping when your customers have to pay a high (Wisconsin) sales tax.

A big regret in my life was not recognizing all of the people in my life who were real gems, and who helped me a lot. I'd give an awful lot to have a ten minute conversation to Marge and Jerry, to thank them.
Old 05-07-18, 12:55 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Bike Surgeon Carbondale IL. Was a must stop at TransAmerica bike route. Cool enough for Billy Gibbons to hang out at when he was in town. The bike shop sold and lives on in another location but...

Old 05-08-18, 05:41 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Two Wheel Travel in Richmond, Virginia. Owners Dee and Kathy Whittington introduced a lot of young men and women to serious mechanicking and did a good job of promoting the sport/hobby/pastime of cycling.
Old 05-08-18, 06:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The Bikesmith in New Orleans. I worked there throughout college. It was a fine shop back in the day and sold a variety of bikes over the years, but was primarily a peugeot shop. It was a bit of a throwback to the 60s.
Old 05-08-18, 06:20 AM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pittsburgh, Pa.

This is a really old post...but oh well, what the hell.

Kraynicks in Pittsburgh, Pa. The old timer sold it and retired last fall but the new owner seems okay. We'll find out. At first look the shop appeared a messy disaster but the old guy new where everything was. And he had everything and anything.
Old 05-08-18, 01:27 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by thumpism
Two Wheel Travel in Richmond, Virginia. Owners Dee and Kathy Whittington introduced a lot of young men and women to serious mechanicking and did a good job of promoting the sport/hobby/pastime of cycling.
Turns out a former co-worker, Dale Peacock, was in possession of one of the store signs and he passed away recently. I was at the funeral and his brother asked me if I wanted it. Hell, yes. Here it is after being dragged home from Dale's place where it had gotten severely weathered and faded after sitting outside, neglected for years. One heavy coat of polyurethane to help forestall further deterioration and more to come, then I'll mount it on the garage wall.
Old 05-08-18, 01:43 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The Bikesmith in New Orleans. I worked there throughout college. It was a fine shop back in the day and sold a variety of bikes over the years, but was primarily a peugeot shop. It was a bit of a throwback to the 60s.
That's good to know. The Bikesmith is still around, though I haven't taken the opportunity to visit yet. I'll have to get over there one of these days.
Old 05-08-18, 01:55 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
That's good to know. The Bikesmith is still around, though I haven't taken the opportunity to visit yet. I'll have to get over there one of these days.
It's a different store. The old bikesmith went bankrupt which is where I picked up a ton of older parts . . . .
Old 05-08-18, 01:55 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It's a different store. The old bikesmith went bankrupt which is where I picked up a ton of older parts . . . .
Oh. Well dang it.
Old 12-23-18, 09:22 AM
breth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somehow I stumbled across this post searching for Tumbleweed Cyclery. I find it highly amusing that I have worked for two of the shops in here - The Bikesmith (somewhere I have a photo of me with the "mobile bike shop" we used to take all over New Orleans doing house calls) and Tumbleweed. While The Bikesmith was able to handle high-end racers' repair needs but I was more proud of being able to fix the locals' bicycles for cheap. Located where it was it was important to have a good relationship with the neighborhood and I like to think we did just that, even though the owner was rather a cheapskate at times (sorry, Bill).

I worked at Tumbleweed at rather a hard time - when Performance had really established itself with not only online ordering but a local outlet where people picked up "seconds" and other marked-down merchandise and brought it to us to install. The owner couldn't really match prices with them so we were sort of stuck in a hard place - there was another shop in Carrboro that seemed to draw most of the students, Performance handled much of the parts, accessories and clothing (essential to sell if you wanted to stay in business with the miserable markups on new bikes) and we catered to the racers and others needing quality repairs.

But I wouldn't trade those experiences for all the money in the world.

Bret
Old 12-23-18, 09:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, breth.

Old 12-23-18, 09:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbur
This is a really old post...but oh well, what the hell.

Kraynicks in Pittsburgh, Pa. The old timer sold it and retired last fall but the new owner seems okay. We'll find out. At first look the shop appeared a messy disaster but the old guy new where everything was. And he had everything and anything.
Just saw this. I used him a couple of times when I attended Pitt Law School. I lived just south of Bloomfield. Your description is accurate, but it was not off putting to me since the father of a neighborhood friend of mine in Philly owned a shop that was the same way.
Old 12-25-18, 09:10 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by breth
I worked at Tumbleweed at rather a hard time - when Performance had really established itself with not only online ordering but a local outlet where people picked up "seconds" and other marked-down merchandise and brought it to us to install. The owner couldn't really match prices with them so we were sort of stuck in a hard place - there was another shop in Carrboro that seemed to draw most of the students, Performance handled much of the parts, accessories and clothing (essential to sell if you wanted to stay in business with the miserable markups on new bikes) and we catered to the racers and others needing quality repairs.
You and I might have met at Tumbleweed. I started repping in the late '80s and called on the shop right up until it closed. Owner Michael was a nice guy and I hope he went on to bigger and better things, but I saw a lot of shops come and others go (and some shops come and go) during my years on the road. I still have some of the oddball things I bought for my stash when the store closed down.

Oh, and I got that Two Wheel Travel sign installed on my garage, as planned.

Old 12-26-18, 03:22 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Al's Bike Shop in Cleveland Heights Ohio. Gone now but it was the first shop I worked in; that was back in 1975. It was just a couple of blocks down the street from my High School.

Al was a real character and knew his stuff too. I think he ran that shop for 30 or 40 years. He had everything, every obscure part, the works. He taught me how to assemble, tune, re-build, straighten frames, build wheels, repair flatted sew-ups, repair lawnmowers and over-haul Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs. Great shop and great memories.

Funny story:
Young fellow comes in and asks if we sell Robergel spokes, Al over-hears the conversation and I tell the young fellow (my age), yes we have Robergel's and pointed him to the unique triangular boxes of spokes. He says to me, "Your Robergels are more expensive than the other shop down the street". By this time Al had sauntered over as the young fellow picks up a box of spokes. Al says, "Well, why didn't you buy them at the other shop?" The young man turns to Al and replies, "Because they are out of the size I am looking for". Al then grabs the box of spokes from his hand and said, "So are we!".

Hahahaha....I think about that today and I still laugh out loud.
Old 12-26-18, 08:17 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
There used to be lots of small bike shops around these parts in the 1980s, almost all have gone now. Like auto accessories shops, also all gone. Sign of the times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.