Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

350-pound road bike frames?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 02:21 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking for road bike frames for 350 pounds.

I cracked my LHT frame and I'm looking for a replacement. I've got another LHT frame coming, but the lesson I've learned from this incident is that I really ought to have two bikes ready to ride at all times.

I'd like the 2nd bike to not be another Trucker. I know the Disc Trucker exists, but I feel like that'll just be boring to have two bikes of the same exact kind.

I see the Surly Midnight Special supports 355 pounds like the Disc Trucker, but there's a lot of complaints about its dropouts and I think as a clydesdale, I'll avoid it. Disc bikes don't work well for me unless I've got a captured through-axle; the discs always go out of alignment really fast.

What are my other options?

I'm 390. Was 450 last year. I'm hoping to lose another 50 pounds this year, putting me around 340. Another 50 next year and I'll be under 300, so maybe bikes in that range are allowable too.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-24, 07:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,700 Posts
It sounds like you are making excellent progress, treat yourself to something custom, have someone build it as you want it. Maybe you want wider tires or slacker head tube or something else like that and a good custom builder can build you that bike and make sure it will fit you well and hold up over time. Keep up that great work.
Old 04-17-24, 06:42 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It sounds like you are making excellent progress, treat yourself to something custom, have someone build it as you want it. Maybe you want wider tires or slacker head tube or something else like that and a good custom builder can build you that bike and make sure it will fit you well and hold up over time. Keep up that great work.
Any suggestions for a frame builder?
Old 04-17-24, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Any suggestions for a frame builder?
Zinn (Lennard specializes in big and tall)
Bilenky
Rodriguez and Ericsson
Firefly
Chapman

There are literally tons of them but these would be a few to chat with that I would happily own a frame from but there are many more I would own a frame from as well. It is a tough choice but I think those would be some good choices in your case.

Here is a list of many more a lot of which I would probably also recommend (at least in the US I cannot speak as much to some of the foreign stuff):
https://theframebuilders.com/list/

I would certainly reach out to a couple of them and if you need help drafting an email feel free to PM me and I can help out. I think you could build a pretty sweet bike up for yourself.
Likes For veganbikes: