Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Simple Cadence measuring question.. garmin

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Simple Cadence measuring question.. garmin

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 07:15 PM
Hot Potato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only use I ever found for cadence was predicting how long I could maintain a certain speed or exertion level. Cadence X Generates speed Y in flat terrain, and I can go for a long time. A faster Cadence A, however, makes me go faster than cadence X, but I Will be out of breath in a short period of time. Generally, cadences below X make me push harder for the same speed, so my legs will tire.

For me, a cadence around 95 provides the highest speed I can maintain, and I will gear up or down to stay there with a pedal force I can maintain. I will go with more force and higher cadence when I want or have to, usually when I know the distance that burst is for is less than my burn out distance.

i can use a slow cadence to build strength, and notice that my optimal cadence goes up and down with fitness, but It have not found any use for average cadence.

give it a try. Hold a cadence, gear up or down to hold an exertion level you can maintain for 30 minutes of riding time. Spin up slowly and easy from stops. Experiment with different exertion levels, cadence, and time/distance. Find what works for a 30 minute ride, use that as a baseline. You will go further and faster knowing how you can maintain an output for the longest time. Then use hills and interval training to make that performanc better.
Old 05-04-16, 06:45 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BenPS
afaik, it's average cadence based on the amount of time the cadence sensor is being triggered. So if you are coasting, that time is not factored in to your average cadence
This
Old 05-04-16, 09:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting info everyone. Thanks. I guess it would interesting if there was a way to get raw data and analyze any way you want (ie. after the ride). For example, take a ride of a certain distance, let's say 60 miles, and then have the raw data of how many revolutions total you spun over that 60 miles, in theory you could calculate a average cadence per yard or whatnot.
  1. Go to Garmin Connect (web site, on your PC, not the mobile app) and go to whatever ride you're interested in.
  2. In the top-right corner (white background) there is an icon that looks like a gear. Click it.
  3. Select Export to TCX or Export to GPX from the menu that pops up.
  4. Open the file in Excel or any other analysis tool.
If you have SQL Server (which is available for free) you can use the query I posted earlier in this thread.

Cadence isn't recorded in a way that lets you do what you're talking about (pedal rotations per yard, etc). You can get close but it won't be exact.
I'll have to check into how I have my Garmin treating 0 rpms. I haven't found a way to change the setting in the Garmin Connect PC analysis or it's export to Zwift -- so am I correct in assuming this can only be adjusted in the actual GPS unit, and not in the software?
Well your Garmin saves a summary to the file based on its settings, and that summary won't change. But you can recalculate it after the fact.
Old 05-04-16, 02:59 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
How is avg cadence over a ride useful ? Real-time cadence is barely even useful for a few people.
Blasphemy.
Cadence is the most important term in the history of bicycling.
I can't even imagine how earlier riders functioned without a computer to measure it so that they could then spend hours crunching the numbers after each ride.
The only thing more important than crunching numbers imo is wearing matching kit.
Old 05-04-16, 03:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Blasphemy.
Cadence is the most important term in the history of bicycling.
I can't even imagine how earlier riders functioned without a computer to measure it so that they could then spend hours crunching the numbers after each ride.
The only thing more important than crunching numbers imo is wearing matching kit.
"Average speed" is the pinnacle of data analysis for cycling. Calculating the perfect pacing and time to arrive at the coffee shop, before the crowds get there.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-04-16, 03:09 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
"Average speed" is the pinnacle of data analysis for cycling. Calculating the perfect pacing and time to arrive at the coffee shop, before the crowds get there.

Coffee shop? I thought the race was to bars or wineries? Am I doing it wrong?

Should I really be racing to chill with Nick the barista at Starbucks who is presently an underemployed English major?
Old 05-04-16, 03:16 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Coffee shop? I thought the race was to bars or wineries? Am I doing it wrong?

Should I really be racing to chill with Nick the barista at Starbucks who is presently an underemployed English major?
Before noon: Coffee shop
Noon - 6 pm: Wineries
After 6 pm: Bars

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-04-16, 05:41 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Before noon: Coffee shop
Noon - 6 pm: Wineries
After 6 pm: Bars
On Tour de Nebraska it is more like:

Before noon: bars (breakfast/lunch)
Midmorning to evening: wineries
Evening: bars

You come on TdN looking for a sissy coffee shop, you're going to be a hurtin for the whole week. I will confess to, in desperation, downing a Srawberrita in a pinch for alcohol before noon, and then hopping back in a paceline.
Old 05-05-16, 06:10 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It's averaged over time. Average cadence = total number of crank turns divided by the time between Start and Stop (excluding pauses or times when cadence is zero for some short period if Zero Averaging is off). Distance doesn't figure in.

Why have Zero Averaging set to off? What's relevant to most is what cadence they use when producing power. If Zero Averaging is on, then the average cadence during a ride will be decreased by the time spent coasting. For example, if your ride is up then down a big hill and you pedal up and coast down, for most what would be important is the avg cadence they maintained while pedaling up.

Last edited by Looigi; 05-05-16 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-05-16, 06:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
As I mentioned previously, I'm trying to consciously make a better effort at pedaling more often and over more of the ride. Eg.. I may have had a tendency to spin up to 100rpm and say 20mph, then coast (0 rpm) down to 16mph, and so on. At the end I might get an 80rpm "average" cadence with an 18mph average.. while I want to strive to pedal more often right at 85-90rpm or so almost all of the time. I'm not exactly sure what I'd need to read consistent results that tell me how well I'm moving in this direction.
You don't need any technology. Keep you chain taut at all times and don't coast. You'll end up a smoother rider but you don't need Garmin or Strava to tell you if you were coasting too often.