Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do road cyclists make better motorcyclists?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do road cyclists make better motorcyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 09:48 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Have you guys ever notice that when a bicycle rider coming from the other direction tends to focus on you that they actually ride toward you almost crossing the middle of the road? Same principle. People ride toward where they look.
It's the same with the flashy blinkie drunk magnets. Call it target fixation or moth effect it's all the same.
Old 05-19-16, 11:47 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I've been mulling this over since the original post a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I should have a good idea, since I rode motorcycles since I was 15, for about 10 years nothing but. Everything from trials bike to 1000cc, a bit of motocross racing. I was inclined to say it makes for a better cyclist, and vice versa, but honestly I don't think so. Riding motorcycles and bicycles are vastly different. I think that there's not a lot of cross-over in skills, judgement or even in handling and balance.
Funny, I've been ruminating over this too and came to somewhat of the opposite conclusion .

I have ridden ~100,000 miles on motorcycles, but only ~15,000 on a bicycle. When I started cycling seriously a few years ago, I noticed that I was tapping my experience from motorcycling in several ways. A few that come to mind are how to choose braking points, how to target an apex, how to "look through" corners, how to survive gravel piled up in corners, and so on; stuff that @Lazyass pointed out. Plus there's the situational awareness that others have mentioned, such as not trusting drivers to stop when and where they are required, and pretty much assuming we're invisible to many motorists ('cagers,' heh).

Last edited by GuitarBob; 05-19-16 at 01:43 PM. Reason: 'braking' not 'breaking' (eye roll)
Old 05-19-16, 01:19 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just remembered this anecdote. After riding motorcycle for a few years and not being on my bike in a long time during that stretch I did something that made me a worse cyclist as a result of riding motorbikes.

I was pedaling along and I needed to stop, it was not an emergency stop but a quick stop. So motorcycling instinct came in and I popped the clutch. Except on the bicycle it was not the clutch but front brake. I almost endod.

I only made that mistake once.
Old 05-19-16, 01:36 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Funny, I've been ruminating over this too and came to somewhat of the opposite conclusion .

I have ridden ~100,000 miles on motorcycles, but only ~15,000 on a bicycle. When I started cycling seriously a few years ago, I noticed that I was tapping my experience from motorcycling in several ways. A few that come to mind are how to choose breaking points, how to target an apex, how to "look through" corners, how to survive gravel piled up in corners, and so on; stuff that @Lazyass pointed out. Plus there's the situational awareness that others have mentioned, such as not trusting drivers to stop when and where they are required, and pretty much assuming we're invisible to many motorists ('cagers,' heh).
+1

Riding motorcycles since 1975 and bicycles since 1982. Motorcycling definitely helps cycling.
Old 05-19-16, 04:19 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Same thing with me. You know how much nerve and talent it takes to race motorcycles and just like you, the thought of getting hurt when a car would appear out of nowhere from a side street...one slip..one inattention and pull out, and in a blink of an eye, a motorcycle rider's life is changed. I lost my nerve for street riding as well..or putting it another way, not nerve in myself, but no doubt like you, belief that car drivers can hurt us beyond any level of our control. I always tried to ride with a level of vigilance that would compensate for other's errors until I realized this wasn't possible. I did't want to donate an arm or a leg or inherent metal plates in the process. I didn't want to be that guy and they are everywhere.
Too bad about the double standard. If cars were as dangerous as motorcycles, we would all be safer because car drivers would be more careful. Reality is, most auto drivers get a do over every time they make a mistake because they are surrounded by a cocoon of metal.
Cheers brother.
I know a lot of people that don't cycle for the same reasons.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-19-16, 04:21 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Not exactly on point, but I believe that when my son first learned to drive, he was a much better driver because of his many years of cycling experience.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-19-16, 05:44 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

I have ridden ~100,000 miles on motorcycles, but only ~15,000 on a bicycle. When I started cycling seriously a few years ago, I noticed that I was tapping my experience from motorcycling in several ways. A few that come to mind are how to choose braking points, how to target an apex, how to "look through" corners, how to survive gravel piled up in corners, and so on; stuff that @Lazyass pointed out. .
To me, all of that is different on a bicycle, a different mechanism. That engine gives us options we can't even think about on a bicycle. Cornering is different, balance is different, acceleration is different.

Plus there's the situational awareness that others have mentioned, such as not trusting drivers to stop when and where they are required, and pretty much assuming we're invisible to many motorists ('cagers,' heh).
I feel even more difference there. Drivers behave differently around bikes and motorcycles, and most of the patterns and reactions I was used to on motorcycles didn't apply very well. Some don't follow traffic laws very well with respect to motorcycles, but more seem to not at all with bicycles.
Old 05-19-16, 05:53 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Not exactly on point, but I believe that when my son first learned to drive, he was a much better driver because of his many years of cycling experience.
Mine drives like he's racing. Not a good thing and why I won't let him have a motorcycle - neither will the USAFA :-)
Old 05-19-16, 06:06 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
To me, all of that is different on a bicycle, a different mechanism. That engine gives us options we can't even think about on a bicycle. Cornering is different, balance is different, acceleration is different.

I feel even more difference there. Drivers behave differently around bikes and motorcycles, and most of the patterns and reactions I was used to on motorcycles didn't apply very well. Some don't follow traffic laws very well with respect to motorcycles, but more seem to not at all with bicycles.
I agree. I mean the basics such as counter-steering, looking through a corner, and picking the right line are the same, but those can be learned on either machine. From there things start getting different. Motorcycles include downshifting while braking, getting your butt off the seat, rolling on the throttle through the corner, etc. None of those apply to bicycles, where it is basically don't brake, and coast while cornering (I know you don't coast on all of them, and some times you do need to brake.) I mean, of course time in one will benefit the other, but I do think that to get better at bicycle cornering, cornering on a bicycle is probably time better spent than on a motorcycle.

As for the street, same thing. The basics such as pay attention to what you're doing and assume drivers will do something dumb apply. Beyond that, not so much. On a motorcycle you are travelling as fast or even faster than a car. On a bicycle, that doesn't happen very often.
Old 05-20-16, 07:45 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bikes, motorcycles, cars...I think if you do one, it can help you with the others. But obviously, there are nuances for one that don't occur in the others.
From time to time I've had the "itch" to at least think about riding a motorcycle. But for the reasons mentioned above, I just won't do it. I know too many people that are missing part of a leg due to being in a motorcycle accident.

In regards to Lazy's video...the clip is sort of out of context, but that guy doesn't even look like he attempted to take ANY line to take that curve. Looks to me like he assumed the road continued straight...also looked like he was having some braking problems when it became apparent to him that the road wasn't straight after all. But like I said - it's only one segment of video. For all we know he could have gotten stung by a bee 5 seconds before that and got distracted.
Old 05-20-16, 07:58 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
The Tour of California finished stage 4 on the Laguna Seca race track, so all of the resident motorcycle experts can fee free to view this video and critique the rider's lines, etc.

Old 05-20-16, 08:20 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratocaster
In regards to Lazy's video...the clip is sort of out of context, but that guy doesn't even look like he attempted to take ANY line to take that curve. Looks to me like he assumed the road continued straight...also looked like he was having some braking problems when it became apparent to him that the road wasn't straight after all. But like I said - it's only one segment of video. For all we know he could have gotten stung by a bee 5 seconds before that and got distracted.
The word is that team cars were passing the riders and blocking the 'racers line,' which is probably why everyone is taking weird lines through the turns.
Old 05-20-16, 11:43 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
The word is that team cars were passing the riders and blocking the 'racers line,' which is probably why everyone is taking weird lines through the turns.

Well, then there you have your knucklehead car drivers. The drivers should have enough sense to get out of the way when the road gets cramped - especially in such a dangerous area of the course. They should have known better.
Old 05-20-16, 02:47 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
The Tour of California finished stage 4 on the Laguna Seca race track, so all of the resident motorcycle experts can fee free to view this video and critique the rider's lines, etc.
Saw that and hadn't realized LS was on the route--what a hoot. Even though I've watched moto races at the track, the ToC gave me a whole new appreciation for the corkscrew. Plus, I kept expecting Rossi to come by on the outside...
Old 05-20-16, 03:13 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Saw that and hadn't realized LS was on the route--what a hoot. Even though I've watched moto races at the track, the ToC gave me a whole new appreciation for the corkscrew. Plus, I kept expecting Rossi to come by on the outside...
I was just talking to a co-worker about this while showing him some Isle of Man TT videos. It's always seemingly impossible to get a full sense of elevation changes when watching an event on TV. For us, seeing bikes at speeds we feel day to day up close in that turn makes it more of a reality. It also makes you realize how bananas that pass Rossi pulled was. Holy cow.
Old 05-20-16, 05:48 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

The hard 'way round.

Old 05-20-16, 09:35 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I haven't made any motorcyclists yet.
Old 05-20-16, 11:57 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I just remembered this anecdote. After riding motorcycle for a few years and not being on my bike in a long time during that stretch I did something that made me a worse cyclist as a result of riding motorbikes.

I was pedaling along and I needed to stop, it was not an emergency stop but a quick stop. So motorcycling instinct came in and I popped the clutch. Except on the bicycle it was not the clutch but front brake. I almost endod.

I only made that mistake once.
All my bicycles have had brakes switched so the right lever operates the front brake - like the motorcycle.
Old 05-21-16, 06:04 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After coming back to cycling after a few years of motorcycling, I was taking a 90 turn on my bike on smooth cement when I leaned the bicycle over so far that I lost traction and slammed to the ground. This was on the local university campus with hundreds of people around. As much as it hurt, I got right up and rode away, sheepishly. I haven't made that mistake again and I ride with my better tires now.

Old 05-21-16, 07:53 AM
Hot Potato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see no correlation between bicycles and motorcycles. Too different. Motorcycles weigh several times the riders weight, go faster, have more powerful brakes, which means riding skills are completely different than a bicycle that weighs a fraction of what the rider does at slower speeds.

most bicycle riders aren't aware of counter steering, since the rider weight overpowers the bike and is an easy and fast way to turn and lean. Totally opposite on motorcycles, you must learn counter steering to be proficient.

i can blast down the twisties on my motorcycle with glee, but wouldn't dare try it on a bicycle with those wimpy brakes, tiny contact patch and iffy traction. Just TRY and drag a knee through a turn on a bicycle!

Last edited by Hot Potato; 05-21-16 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-21-16, 08:20 AM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
After coming back to cycling after a few years of motorcycling, I was taking a 90 turn on my bike on smooth cement when I leaned the bicycle over so far that I lost traction and slammed to the ground. This was on the local university campus with hundreds of people around. As much as it hurt, I got right up and rode away, sheepishly. I haven't made that mistake again and I ride with my better tires now.

I did the same thing. Got cut off by a bicycle that that popped out from behind a parked truck. Reflexes kicked in. It woulda been a perfect counter steering high lean angle zig zag around him on my motorcycle. Instead I low sided damaging my bicycle and my hip. I woulda been better off staying straight up and just max braking to reduce collision speed, but the reflex to avoid was too strong.

numbskull who caused my crash didn't even stop
Old 05-21-16, 04:58 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As the guy who started this thread - I thank everyone for their thoughts and observations.

From what I can glean there is (naturally) a wide degree of opinion, as well as experience. If there is any commonality it seems that the similarities between the two disciplines relate to:

* Looking ahead
* General reflex
* Experience with speed
* Familiarity with vehicular, pedestrian and animals hazards

What I’ll need to do later this year is personally test the differences. More incentive to get my motorcycle sooner than later.

Cheers,

Essex
Old 09-09-16, 05:14 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got myself a new Ducati and have been comparing bike vs. motorcycle traits for the past month.

One thing I know - racers earn their speed. With the motorcycle unlimited power comes way too easy twist of the wrist. Sometimes I feel like I am being lazy on the motorcycle.

I can say years of riding a fast road bike helps with the motorcycling. If I can attribute any trait a road bike develops - it's an inherent awareness of "cagers" and specific hazards (intersections/errant pedestrians) at speed 20-25 mph.

As per bumps, slicks, crud on the road - the Ducati suspension + ABS/traction control eat, or defeat it like nothing. I like this. And the big Pirelli tires are pretty reassuring when I lean into a turn. Most reassuring is that when I take the lane - I take the lane and can outrun most any car out there. So, I don't feel bothered by some cager honking at me, or bum rushing me because they can't wait 2-5 seconds while I pedal clear the center of the lane.

More observations to come....
Old 09-09-16, 06:54 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqqLuaM5rM
Well on motorcycle lines will be completely different, because you go so much faster...
Fun, fast track on motorcycle that's for sure.
Old 09-09-16, 06:56 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Potato
I see no correlation between bicycles and motorcycles. Too different. Motorcycles weigh several times the riders weight, go faster, have more powerful brakes, which means riding skills are completely different than a bicycle that weighs a fraction of what the rider does at slower speeds.

most bicycle riders aren't aware of counter steering, since the rider weight overpowers the bike and is an easy and fast way to turn and lean. Totally opposite on motorcycles, you must learn counter steering to be proficient.

i can blast down the twisties on my motorcycle with glee, but wouldn't dare try it on a bicycle with those wimpy brakes, tiny contact patch and iffy traction. Just TRY and drag a knee through a turn on a bicycle!
You still need to counter steer on a bicycle to make any reasonable sharp turn. It's just the weight of the bike is so light it takes a tiny fraction of what it takes on a motorcycle, and is not really noticeable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.