Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Return of the Son of What Side of the Road?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 08:01 PM
16 Tons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings all! My 1st post - it may as well be a rant.

There seems to be an increasing population of people on bicycles these days riding against traffic. Not cyclists, per se, but the general pop, young and old, sporting 2 wheels. Is this what is being taught in school these days? Did I miss the PSA explaining how much safer it is to ride toward an eighteen wheeler, for instance, instead of with? It HAS to be more exciting, I'm sure, I just don't see much longevity. Anyway, I expect I'll encounter a lot more of it as the weather gets warmer but hope for no head-ons with those who ride against the grain, so-to-speak.

Thanks for listening, and be careful out there.
Old 05-10-16, 08:06 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
It is general consensus of many that they want to see who is going to run them down,,,,,
Old 05-10-16, 08:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I call it salmoning, and it is quite popular among the involuntarily car-free. They will often populate the sidewalks (still riding against traffic flow) for a nice double-whammy.
Old 05-10-16, 08:18 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yesterday saw guy riding the wrong way in a bike lane on a one way street smoking a cigar.
Old 05-10-16, 08:20 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I call it salmoning, and it is quite popular among the involuntarily car-free. They will often populate the sidewalks (still riding against traffic flow) for a nice double-whammy.
And when the driver pulling out of a side road or driveway, turning right, only checks the oncoming traffic from the left, I call them hood ornaments.

It more common for them to be involuntarily license-free, parenthetically. The reason for which can often be found in the plastic bag hanging off the bars.
Old 05-10-16, 09:35 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I tend to be pretty forgiving about cyclists, I don't care what they wear or what they ride but I still have three pet peeves. Wrong way Salmons, Side walk riding for anyone over 12, and Ninja riders. The first ones will even ride the wrong way in a bike lane and I almost refuse to move out into traffic so they can pass. The sidewalk riders disturb me the most when I happen to be walking out of a store or other business onto the side walk and end up having to dodge a bicycle coming at me. The ninja may be as bad as both of the others. You just cannot see someone coming at you at night all dressed in dark cloths, no lights and no reflectors. And it always seems, though it may not happen as often as I think, that they turn in front of me at the last instant showing up in my headlight just in time for me to grab a hand full of brake lever.

So the rant wasn't lost on me.
Old 05-10-16, 10:02 PM
16 Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
And when the driver pulling out of a side road or driveway, turning right, only checks the oncoming traffic from the left, I call them hood ornaments.
That's the other thing...car drivers with their heads down at intersections. Scary stuff! I'm glad I learned to whistle.
Old 05-10-16, 10:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
I encounter them periodically. They're a bit of a pain when one isn't expecting them in coming at you in a bike path.

However, I don't know their whole story either. I have one store that when I exit, it seems easier to go down the left side of the street for a short distance until the traffic clears. For some reason, I think the overall traffic is less 50 yards down the street, and it is easier to get across to the right.
Old 05-10-16, 10:18 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Almost hit one yesterday. Tight four lane road, two lanes in each direction with no center lane, I was following a box truck, and the two of them decide to jump off the sidewalk into the road, swerve out in front of me avoiding a pothole, and continued on their way. No way I didn't hit them if my car was about thirty feet further forward.
Old 05-11-16, 12:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My mom is 77 and grew up in small Texas towns. She swears she and her classmates were taught to walk or ride bikes against the flow of motor vehicle traffic.*** That sort of thing tends to get passed on from generation to generation and is difficult to break once kids have been taught the wrong way.

Not only do I see salmoning among most of the middle aged vehicle-less working poor and down-and-outers riding squeaky rustbuckets, but I see it in upscale neighborhood kids who are wearing helmets, knee pads, bright clothing and reflective gear... and still riding on the wrong side of the road.

It might help if schools taught basic public safety and civics. But it probably wouldn't undo the disinformation. Young kids bring all kinds of home taught lessons with them as baggage, and trying to teach them otherwise comes across as a threat to their family value system.

***(Mom also swears bikes never got flat tires or needed any maintenance whatsoever when she was a kid. I'm pretty sure that in her selective memory she averaged 20 mph on a 50 lb single speed coaster brake bike and rode across Texas every day just to and from school, through blizzards and headwinds both ways, and passed that lazy goodfernuthin Abe Lincoln along the way as he loafed along on his penny farthing, chopping down cherry trees, planting apple trees and discovering America.)
Old 05-11-16, 05:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by 16 Tons
There seems to be an increasing population of people on bicycles these days riding against traffic. Not cyclists, per se, but the general pop, young and old, sporting 2 wheels.
Wut? There are a growing number of people riding bicycles against traffic but they are not cyclists "per se"? If you are riding a bike you are cycling, which makes you a cyclist.
Old 05-11-16, 05:31 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
My mom is 77 and grew up in small Texas towns. She swears she and her classmates were taught to walk or ride bikes against the flow of motor vehicle traffic.*** That sort of thing tends to get passed on from generation to generation and is difficult to break once kids have been taught the wrong way............
Just note that with walking, jogging and running, it is advisable and statue dictated in many locations that they be done facing traffic. It could be that it is simply an extension of this action that is brought over to bicycle riding.
Old 05-11-16, 05:55 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Just note that with walking, jogging and running, it is advisable and statue dictated in many locations that they be done facing traffic.
All of which I find ridiculous and even moire ridiculous, because it puts walkers, joggers, and runners heading head-on into cycling traffic using the same turf.

for half a century I have walked, jogged, run, and cycled With traffic and I find it far superior. I am not blinded by headlights at night, I can hear what's behind me or look if need be. Why there should be separate requirements is ... human government, doing what it does best.
Old 05-11-16, 06:03 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
All of which I find ridiculous and even moire ridiculous, because it puts walkers, joggers, and runners heading head-on into cycling traffic using the same turf.

for half a century I have walked, jogged, run, and cycled With traffic and I find it far superior. I am not blinded by headlights at night, I can hear what's behind me or look if need be. Why there should be separate requirements is ... human government, doing what it does best.
Agree to disagree. My wife and I find it MUCH more comfortable facing traffic when pavement pounding. Matter of fact, when we partake in 5K to marathon events around the country, it feels extremely strange when the event has us proceeding with the flow of traffic side.
Old 05-11-16, 06:50 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I hear the OP. I already mentioned in other post I got broadsided by a wrong way cyclist on an MUP last year coming around a blind corner. My leg still isn't fully healed. Usually on the open streets it's more the cruiser and utility cyclist I see riding against traffic, so at least it's not high speed. Occasionally I have seen tri and road types going the wrong way at a full pace. They scare me. However, I only say things to other riders if I feel like there's going to be an issue.
Old 05-11-16, 07:13 AM
Flinstone

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

I have to disagree there. On foot is a very different situation for a number of reasons. Going the "wrong" way puts my life in my hands. On a bike, it puts my death in my hands. On foot though it really just doesn't matter nearly as much either way.
Old 05-11-16, 07:23 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It more common for them to be involuntarily license-free, parenthetically. The reason for which can often be found in the plastic bag hanging off the bars.
Ironically, they can receive DUI tickets on their bike, which would be considered a parole violation and at the very least prolong their carlessness.
Old 05-11-16, 07:44 AM
16 Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom is 77 and grew up in small Texas towns. She swears she and her classmates were taught to walk or ride bikes against the flow of motor vehicle traffic.*** That sort of thing tends to get passed on from generation to generation and is difficult to break once kids have been taught the wrong way.
Yup. Tell kids they are riding the wrong way and they look at you like you have two heads.
Old 05-11-16, 07:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Left in England (+ ex Colonies and Islands), or Japan. Right, on the Continent & the Americas.

As the critical mass riders said ... Not Blocking Traffic, You Are Traffic !

remember Salmon go up stream, And Then Die, after spawning..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-11-16 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 08:00 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well that would be terrible driving
Old 05-11-16, 08:24 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
My mom is 77 and grew up in small Texas towns. She swears she and her classmates were taught to walk or ride bikes against the flow of motor vehicle traffic.
As others have mentioned, it generally is advised you walk against traffic. In Michigan, if you are on the side of the road, it is the law, as is riding with traffic on a bike in the road. I'd never walk with my back to traffic, although I accept I can't safely bike against traffic I'd far prefer if I could see what's coming.
Old 05-11-16, 10:17 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Had to take a drivers education class a few years ago. Instructor reported that in over half the pedestrian fatal accidents involving cars that the victim was intoxicated.
Old 05-11-16, 11:17 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 16 Tons
That's the other thing...car drivers with their heads down at intersections. Scary stuff! I'm glad I learned to whistle.
How many times do you look to the right for oncoming traffic, when you're making a right turn? Very, very few people do.The last ting you expect is someone on the wrong side of the road. There's a lot to complain about bad drivers for. That isn't one of them. The only reason I do it is because I almost had a salmon ride into me one day.

I'm talking about driveways and side roads, that come to a T.

Last edited by mprelaw; 05-11-16 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 11:19 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Ironically, they can receive DUI tickets on their bike, which would be considered a parole violation and at the very least prolong their carlessness.
Not here. In Massachusetts there are no laws against cycling while under the influence---the OUI laws have a very specific definition of motor vehicle, which excludes bicycles.
Old 05-11-16, 12:59 PM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salmoning got so bad around here I had to modify my road kit in order for them to yield me my right of way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.