Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Finally Gravel Bike ... Here We Come

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 09:29 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

Hah .... just ordered a Merida Silex 400 ..... can't wait!!!!

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/...-400-9361.html

Been into the shop and been measured today, they're supplying it with Panaracer Gravel Kings and happy to change the saddle if I don't like it.

Anybody UK based I bought it from Owens Cycles in Petersfield ... great place, really helpful, measure you properly before ordering and happy to change some bits like tyres if you want to.

Due in Tues / Wed next week .... gosh that's going to seem like ages and feeling like a cat on a hot tin roof already!!!

Last edited by Witterings; 11-22-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 09:48 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Seems like a nice design. Is there anywhere in the UK to actually take proper advantage of a gravel bike?
Old 11-22-18, 09:54 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Seems like a nice design. Is there anywhere in the UK to actually take proper advantage of a gravel bike?
Where I am on a peninsula we have a choice of taking mainly gravel / farm tracks to get on and off the peninsula which is approx 8 miles each way and a lovely ride ... the alternative is main roads so it's kind of a no brainer and not far away is The New Forest which has 100 miles of gravel tracks but will be looking to find some other places as well so I guess certainly for me it is.
Old 11-22-18, 02:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Neat looking frame and nice build.

- no idea if the wheels are quality or cheap, I would hope they are serviceable. I'm guessing they are on the heavy side of things based on the overall weight, but that's pretty common.

- the XL size is huge! Giant stack and reach. Really neat that they have a legitimate large frame.

- how much tire clearance is there? Odd that it isnt mentioned.

- cost?
Old 11-22-18, 04:20 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

- how much tire clearance is there? Odd that it isnt mentioned.

- cost?
I googled it and found some sites / threads saying up to 43/44mm max and one reported as high as Chwalbe Big Apples at 2.35" on 650b's, I'm starting with 38mm but may possibly swap the front to 43mm at some stage if I get much jarring come through the bars.
Old 11-23-18, 04:26 PM
Justinitus

Bikes: Giant Revolt Adv, Surly Straggler Flat Bar, Trek Farley Fat, Brompton M6R Black Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Lovely looking bike there Neville, nice spec with 105 and hydro too! I sure you’ll have plenty of fun on that ��
Old 11-23-18, 06:29 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Justinitus
Lovely looking bike there Neville, nice spec with 105 and hydro too! I sure you’ll have plenty of fun on that ��

Thank you and must admit it was all about the spec and thought it was worth spending the extra as hopefully this'll be a "bike for life" ... not just for Xmas
It's B'day money (from October) and Xmas from all of my family and e-baying some bits from hobbies I'm not so involved in anymore that's funded it.

I'll try and get some pics with it out on gravel over the next few weeks and whilst we have some lovely scenery / tracks around here, I'd love to take it out some other countries (mainly the US) where it looks like it's mile after mile of gravel tracks.

I mentioned in another post but the "Gravel Ride Pics" thread ... irrespective of whether you were "into" cycling or an occasional cyclist .... any person that can even sit on a bike would want to ride a bike in an awful lot of those places and they'd enjoy it .... but for a serious cyclist it'd be heaven !!!!
Old 11-29-18, 08:21 AM
Witterings

Santa's been