Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

In between bikes?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

In between bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 08:33 AM
Pwnt
( 8n(|) DOH!!

Bikes: Scattante R670

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In between bikes?

Was curious which way you choose to go on the days the weather is drastically different from your morning commute to when you go home?

This morning I had a situation where the ground was wet with patchs of ice from a rain/snow storm from the night before. I probably should have switched to either the cyclocross bike or the mtn bike but.....I know that today, for the commute home, it's going to be in the mid 40's.

I love noodles.
Old 11-17-10, 09:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwnt
Was curious which way you choose to go on the days the weather is drastically different from your morning commute to when you go home?

This morning I had a situation where the ground was wet with patches of ice from a rain/snow storm from the night before. I probably should have switched to either the cyclocross bike or the mtn bike but.....I know that today, for the commute home, it's going to be in the mid 40's.
Weather couldn't have gotten any more drastically different then yesterday, huh?

People elsewhere just don't have a clue as to what we deal with. For those of you who don't ride in this schizophrenic town we call home, the weather yesterday hit 60F at noon. By 4 p.m. the temperature had dropped to around 30F and the snow was coming down sideways. Then the clouds cleared, the temperature popped back up to around 40F and the wind shifted from the north to the west and proceeded to blow at about 70 mph. I, luckily, had to go east and I coasted home at around 25 mph. It would have been great if the roads weren't wet and a tad slippery.

As for your question, Pwnt, I pick the bike for the worst conditions I think I'll encounter. If it's icy when I start out, I'll probably chose the mountain bike because it deals with ice better than my cross bike. I'll just live with having to ride slower...not a problem when it's icy...both into and from work.

I did ride the cross bike...with regular road tires and a baldish one on the back...in today but it wasn't icy around my house in northwest Denver. It was worse to the west but the bike was okay.

To praise chipseal: Lakewood chipsealed 26th from Kipling to Youngsfield (about 2 miles). The chipseal made the ice easier to deal with. I still hate riding on it but it does work better in the ice.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-18-10, 01:53 PM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have been driving my winter bike for the last couple of months now. i have been too busy to fix my other bike.
Old 11-28-10, 02:56 PM
BobLoblaw
Dough Mestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as the question arises as to which bike I should ride, I go with the winter bike.

BL