Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Diverge E% Comp OR Argon 18 Grey Matter Rival

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Specialized Diverge E% Comp OR Argon 18 Grey Matter Rival

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 08:58 AM
mneil89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Diverge E5 Comp OR Argon 18 Grey Matter Rival

Hey guys.

To sum it up I'm split between these two bikes for my first gravel bike purchase. Have been a enduro MTB rider for years and looking to finally try out Gravel Riding. Ive put countless hours into what Im looking for in a bike while keeping in mind the price too. I'm looking for a 1X bike that has capability for a wide tire for chunkier rides (but not all the time), pack mounts, and solid groupset for its price.

-The Diverge is 2399, uses An Apex 1 Groupset with 47mm tire clearance on a 700c wheel and 2.1" on a 650b wheel.

-The Argon is 1999 it uses a Rival 1 Groupset with 42c tires on a 700c and 47c on a 650b wheel.

-Both have sufficient pack mounts for what I plan to use it for.

- Diverge does come with a Future shock carbon fork over the Argons Regular carbon fork.

Theres obviously differences but from reviews it seems the Argon has the better Groupset for a lower price but Specialized does seem to have put some good medium level components on the Diverge. Neither price bothers me to spend but Im just looking the best bang for buck and a bike Ill be happy with for more than a year or two.

Appreciate the Help!

Last edited by mneil89; 03-30-24 at 08:58 AM. Reason: miss spell
Old 03-30-24, 10:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11009 Post(s)
Liked 7,537 Times in 4,214 Posts
At this price and spec, ignore the groupset and ignore the suspension.

What are the important geometry differences between the two bikes and which one has geometry that best fits how you want to use a gravel bike?
That has been, and continues to be, what cyclists should care about most when asking 'which bike?' after narrowing down options.
Old 03-30-24, 09:16 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What are the important geometry differences between the two bikes and which one has geometry that best fits how you want to use a gravel bike?
That has been, and continues to be, what cyclists should care about most when asking 'which bike?' after narrowing down options.
Agree with this but I would not ignore the Diverge's suspension features as it directly factors into the intended use of the bike. On paper the Diverge seems more capable of rugged stuff and better fit for true adventure riding, whereas the Grey Matter would be my choice if I'm doing significant paved miles in addition to gravel, or if I wanted to go faster/be more efficient.