Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Geared bikes or single speed?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 11:10 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Plenty of motorists say the same about cyclists… And yet you still ride a bike, I presume?

Seems weird for a person who embraces a more challenging mode of transportation to then criticize others for choosing an even more challenging mode. Are you always this threatened by people who make different decisions than you do?
Threatened ? I can't even imagine how that would manifest itself.

Challenging and masochistic are different concepts last I looked, but of course the sliding scale for that would be variable. And the "noble savage" lost it's official charm more decades ago than I care to remember.

How I perceive the manner in which you live your life is as meaningless as how you live it.

Have a really great day
Charlie
Old 04-21-24, 11:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7030 Post(s)
Liked 11,055 Times in 4,726 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Threatened ? I can't even imagine how that would manifest itself.
​​​​​​It manifests when you use the word "masochists" to describe cyclists who choose to do things that you are apparently unable to do.
Old 04-21-24, 11:43 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I know that some riders around here ride SS or even Fixies, but seriously - my midweek rides that I think of as fairly flat? They still have 1000 feet of climbing in 24 miles, including some pitches over 8%. So, my flirtation with the idea of a single speed bike was really brief.

So, it depends on where you live. Florida? Yeah, get a SS bike. What do you need gears for anyway? Overpasses? But here? Not for MY aging joints!
then there are the guys who do Cino on fixed.....or even SS.

Old 04-21-24, 12:02 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
​​​​​​It manifests when you use the word "masochists" to describe cyclists who choose to do things that you are apparently unable to do.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 04-21-24, 12:06 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Geared bikes and single speed.
Old 04-21-24, 12:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
That's just a multi speed bike with a really inconvenient shifting mechanism.

And all that gas about how making life difficult being somehow enobling ... Well, go for it. It only reminds me of the Monty Python monks bashing themselves on the head with the holy boards.

Have a nice day
No. It is a fix gear with a choice of ratios. Freewheeling is fundamentally different. Go do 5 450 mile Cycle Oregons on a fix gear, bring all the cogs you want and change to your heart's content then come back here and tell me I am wrong. (Well, you missed the chance. The week-long COs are gone for good. So just go out and do a 9,000' of climbing day fixed. Then find 3 more days of 5000' plus. You'll see that never, ever being able to coast is fundamentally different. And you will ever after look at the freewheel life as being the softer, easier way. Or you might not finish that ride or find it is just too hard You can step up and prove me wrong. And after, if you did it all, you can look back and compare, which was more real, that ride on a fix gear or that ride with the freewheeling. Bet you'll be more proud of the fixed version.)
Old 04-21-24, 02:05 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
[QUOTE=downtube42;23219172]I have two geared road bikes, one recumbent, one unicycle, and a fixed gear bike.”

You had me at unicycle.

Mike
Old 04-21-24, 06:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
But single-speed bikes have almost religious significance to some Japanese riders, ...
Yeah, I am in Tokyo now, and I visited their shrine yesterday:

https://brotures.com/en/pages/brotures-harajuku
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-21-24, 06:47 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I know that some riders around here ride SS or even Fixies, but seriously - my midweek rides that I think of as fairly flat? They still have 1000 feet of climbing in 24 miles, including some pitches over 8%. So, my flirtation with the idea of a single speed bike was really brief.

So, it depends on where you live. Florida? Yeah, get a SS bike. What do you need gears for anyway? Overpasses? But here? Not for MY aging joints!
Plus, when FL is under water, SS is likely to be more reliable, especially a fixie.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-21-24, 08:26 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 2,070 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1

You had me at unicycle.

Mike
It's a fixed gear btw.
Old 05-01-24, 04:53 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,689 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
No. It is a fix gear with a choice of ratios. Freewheeling is fundamentally different. Go do 5 450 mile Cycle Oregons on a fix gear, bring all the cogs you want and change to your heart's content then come back here and tell me I am wrong. (Well, you missed the chance. The week-long COs are gone for good. So just go out and do a 9,000' of climbing day fixed. Then find 3 more days of 5000' plus. You'll see that never, ever being able to coast is fundamentally different. And you will ever after look at the freewheel life as being the softer, easier way. Or you might not finish that ride or find it is just too hard You can step up and prove me wrong. And after, if you did it all, you can look back and compare, which was more real, that ride on a fix gear or that ride with the freewheeling. Bet you'll be more proud of the fixed version.)
Steel Charlie said "That's just a multi speed bike with a really inconvenient shifting mechanism." He didn't say anything about freewheel versus fixed. Of course, his reference to convenient gear shifting does imply a freewheel, except for Sturmey Archer's fixed-gear multi-speed hubs.

By the way, I believe paved roads in mountainous terrain on the West Coast are generally graded more sensibly than East Coast roads. Granted, any given climb out West can be tediously long compared to the East. But I don't quite understand the need for multiple cogs. Since I began riding fixed 60 years ago, I've done plenty of rides with 5k feet of climbing, including a few times last year, and I've only ever used a 51/19 or 48/18 gear - roughly 72 inches. (Knees are beginning to complain, so I may soon need to go to 46/18 or so.)

Maybe it's that long, continuous climbs on moderate grades are ultimately tougher than shorter, steeper climbs. Climbs in northern Baltimore County rarely exceed 10 minutes. The only other terrain I've ridden was New Haven County in Connecticut, where I grew up, and that was very similar to Baltimore County - short, sharp climbs everywhere north of the city.
Old 05-01-24, 05:36 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 246 Posts
I'm pushing 65 and at this stage of my cycling life I currently have more Single Speeds vs Geared bikes. More like 2:1
Why? Probably because I'm getting lazy "working" on bikes and/or rather be golfing .......
Old 05-01-24, 09:45 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2672 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 874 Posts
SS will take you you anywhere gears will but its more fun if you're FIXED ..harder is funner
Old 05-01-24, 11:31 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Steel Charlie said "That's just a multi speed bike with a really inconvenient shifting mechanism." He didn't say anything about freewheel versus fixed. Of course, his reference to convenient gear shifting does imply a freewheel, except for Sturmey Archer's fixed-gear multi-speed hubs.

By the way, I believe paved roads in mountainous terrain on the West Coast are generally graded more sensibly than East Coast roads. Granted, any given climb out West can be tediously long compared to the East. But I don't quite understand the need for multiple cogs. Since I began riding fixed 60 years ago, I've done plenty of rides with 5k feet of climbing, including a few times last year, and I've only ever used a 51/19 or 48/18 gear - roughly 72 inches. (Knees are beginning to complain, so I may soon need to go to 46/18 or so.)

Maybe it's that long, continuous climbs on moderate grades are ultimately tougher than shorter, steeper climbs. Climbs in northern Baltimore County rarely exceed 10 minutes. The only other terrain I've ridden was New Haven County in Connecticut, where I grew up, and that was very similar to Baltimore County - short, sharp climbs everywhere north of the city.
Racers were flipping their wheels for mountains long before the derailleur. But more than that, I have to accept that at 59 years old plus (Did my first fix gear Cycle Oregon at 59), my chondromalcia knees were never going to accept a week of 70 miles per day average and 30,000 feet of climbing (and my butt, that much descending) all in one gear. Beyond that, it simply wouldn't be fun.

Instead, I took this on as a need to focus on the dual challenge of setting my bike up as best possible for each day, bringing appropriate cogs and noting best places to stop and change and nursing this not so young body through a very hard week of riding. A real part of this juggling act is - every stop to change gears costs. Every incline, up or down, I ride with the wrong gear costs. Which costs more? And sometimes I am in the groove and don't stop when I should. (My last fixed CO, the approach to camp, both riding into camp and the next day on the option ride, there were miles of downhill. First miles seriously fast, then gradual but very doable in the 46-14 (93") except 3 bumps. Well bump #3 was a killer. I should have changed gears or walked but gutted it out both times. And paid big time! And two days later, TG I had the 36-21 to do the week's final climb. I was completely spent. And this hammered body got to enjoy the final downhill of the week on that big gear.

I make zero apologies for doing those rides cheating and being a wimp. Each one of those 6 fixed weeks was an order of magnitude harder than the 4 I did on road bikes. Even my last at 70 on a pure race bike (set up with 70-year-old appropriate race gearing 52-42-30 13-26 for Oregon's coastal range) was nowhere near as draining as my easiest fix gear ride. Had I tried those rides on one gear I'd no longer have working OEM knees and the butt abuse would have been 1) torture and 2) had me as a regular at medical services for treatment of sores. The nurses would have gotten to know my butt much more intimately than they signed up for. Never mind the fun part would have flown out the window by day three.

And the lesson I learned on the 2016 CO - if the route profile is bumpy - don't ride fix gear! Singe huge climbs and descents - fine, but the Oregon coast highway - torture. Gutting it out in one gear is knee and butt killer. Stopping for each hill bottom and top gets old long before the first rest stop. (Had I studied the route profile, I never would have done it fixed. But, weird I know, the decision to ride that week was made 9:30 am the day before the start. I had a couple of hours to pick a bike, pack and go. Grabbed the fix gear because it was the closest to being ready for a hard week and went. Picked up the ride literature when I got there. "This is going to be interesting! Not fix gear country!" The option day, the ride was down the coast road to lunch and back or you could return by a long, gradual 2000'? climb into the coast range and miles of descent. Yes! The ride to lunch was killer. The ride back, heaven! Well, until that final 10 miles of coastal hell.)

The west coast lends itself to the idea of riding mountains fixed. I started riding fixed out of Boston when I was racing, in my 20s and strong. Muscling up crazy stuff was fun but I never saw 10, 15 mile climbs. When I moved to the Bay Area, I used to ride up to Skyline over Oakland on my 42-17 and back down. Crazy, but that was my post head injury years, those crazy rides were my link to sanity. Later, touring the west coast looking of work, I rode that same bike up Mt Diablo. (Yes, walking the final 20%. I'd been doing zero riding.) The abuse my genitals took riding down in my oldest shorts (who cares if my van gets broken into and them stolen) I'll never forget. But I've gone faster at CO in the 42-12 with the old ear to ear grin!

Trakhak, I simply love riding fix gear. So much that I've fully embraced the idea that changing cogs allows me rides I could not do otherwise or would have to pay an unacceptable price for. Those Cycle Oregons? I may have "cheated" but I have yet to FW one revolution on any of those 6 weeks. (I have toyed with the idea of dropping the chain onto the axle and rolling into a low-lying CO camp just to say I've coasted but it never happened.) And that old rule of thumb - fix gears are 4/3s to 3/2s harder than the same ride geared? Yup, my body tells me every time.
Old 05-03-24, 08:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Racers were flipping their wheels for mountains long before the derailleur. But more than that, I have to accept that at 59 years old plus (Did my first fix gear Cycle Oregon at 59), my chondromalcia knees were never going to accept a week of 70 miles per day average and 30,000 feet of climbing (and my butt, that much descending) all in one gear. Beyond that, it simply wouldn't be fun.

Instead, I took this on as a need to focus on the dual challenge of setting my bike up as best possible for each day, bringing appropriate cogs and noting best places to stop and change and nursing this not so young body through a very hard week of riding. A real part of this juggling act is - every stop to change gears costs. Every incline, up or down, I ride with the wrong gear costs. Which costs more? And sometimes I am in the groove and don't stop when I should. (My last fixed CO, the approach to camp, both riding into camp and the next day on the option ride, there were miles of downhill. First miles seriously fast, then gradual but very doable in the 46-14 (93") except 3 bumps. Well bump #3 was a killer. I should have changed gears or walked but gutted it out both times. And paid big time! And two days later, TG I had the 36-21 to do the week's final climb. I was completely spent. And this hammered body got to enjoy the final downhill of the week on that big gear.

I make zero apologies for doing those rides cheating and being a wimp. Each one of those 6 fixed weeks was an order of magnitude harder than the 4 I did on road bikes. Even my last at 70 on a pure race bike (set up with 70-year-old appropriate race gearing 52-42-30 13-26 for Oregon's coastal range) was nowhere near as draining as my easiest fix gear ride. Had I tried those rides on one gear I'd no longer have working OEM knees and the butt abuse would have been 1) torture and 2) had me as a regular at medical services for treatment of sores. The nurses would have gotten to know my butt much more intimately than they signed up for. Never mind the fun part would have flown out the window by day three.

And the lesson I learned on the 2016 CO - if the route profile is bumpy - don't ride fix gear! Singe huge climbs and descents - fine, but the Oregon coast highway - torture. Gutting it out in one gear is knee and butt killer. Stopping for each hill bottom and top gets old long before the first rest stop. (Had I studied the route profile, I never would have done it fixed. But, weird I know, the decision to ride that week was made 9:30 am the day before the start. I had a couple of hours to pick a bike, pack and go. Grabbed the fix gear because it was the closest to being ready for a hard week and went. Picked up the ride literature when I got there. "This is going to be interesting! Not fix gear country!" The option day, the ride was down the coast road to lunch and back or you could return by a long, gradual 2000'? climb into the coast range and miles of descent. Yes! The ride to lunch was killer. The ride back, heaven! Well, until that final 10 miles of coastal hell.)

The west coast lends itself to the idea of riding mountains fixed. I started riding fixed out of Boston when I was racing, in my 20s and strong. Muscling up crazy stuff was fun but I never saw 10, 15 mile climbs. When I moved to the Bay Area, I used to ride up to Skyline over Oakland on my 42-17 and back down. Crazy, but that was my post head injury years, those crazy rides were my link to sanity. Later, touring the west coast looking of work, I rode that same bike up Mt Diablo. (Yes, walking the final 20%. I'd been doing zero riding.) The abuse my genitals took riding down in my oldest shorts (who cares if my van gets broken into and them stolen) I'll never forget. But I've gone faster at CO in the 42-12 with the old ear to ear grin!

Trakhak, I simply love riding fix gear. So much that I've fully embraced the idea that changing cogs allows me rides I could not do otherwise or would have to pay an unacceptable price for. Those Cycle Oregons? I may have "cheated" but I have yet to FW one revolution on any of those 6 weeks. (I have toyed with the idea of dropping the chain onto the axle and rolling into a low-lying CO camp just to say I've coasted but it never happened.) And that old rule of thumb - fix gears are 4/3s to 3/2s harder than the same ride geared? Yup, my body tells me every time.
I did a 300k brevet with 8k feet last week fixed. Tough. Mostly four bigish climbs. Funny enough, slightly faster that the same route geared in 2019 when I was younger. But brevets have various stop time, so comparisons are iffy.

Next up is 400k at 10k feet. I'm intimidated but Yolo.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/169957722

Fixed is life
Old 05-03-24, 09:20 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by downtube42
I did a 300k brevet with 8k feet last week fixed. Tough. Mostly four bigish climbs. Funny enough, slightly faster that the same route geared in 2019 when I was younger. But brevets have various stop time, so comparisons are iffy.

Next up is 400k at 10k feet. I'm intimidated but Yolo.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/169957722

Fixed is life
I've never ridden fixed, just single speed on flat land when under 10 years old. But my perception is, you might be faster on fixed because you are forced to climb out of the saddle, rather than spin up in a lower gear. The few road bike races I've seen on TV like the TdF, they climb standing. I'm faster on multi-speed that way, typically 2 or 3 gears up when standing, it's simply a question of if I run out of wheaties and need to downshift and spin, or walk up. I've also noticed more chain and cog wear since climbing while standing.
Old 05-03-24, 09:34 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I've never ridden fixed, just single speed on flat land when under 10 years old. But my perception is, you might be faster on fixed because you are forced to climb out of the saddle, rather than spin up in a lower gear. The few road bike races I've seen on TV like the TdF, they climb standing. I'm faster on multi-speed that way, typically 2 or 3 gears up when standing, it's simply a question of if I run out of wheaties and need to downshift and spin, or walk up. I've also noticed more chain and cog wear since climbing while standing.
Fixed can be faster climbing if the grade and duration are in a specific band than allows sustained out of saddle climbing at a higher level of effort than one is willing to do with gears. Fixed is speed limited descending, whereas SS is not. So I feel like technically, SS can be the fastest if the terrain is right.

That was a mouthful. Basically, fixed or SS demands out of saddle climbing just to keep moving, whereas geared you can gear down and spin. But if the grade or duration exceed physical limitation, fixed/ss you either slow to a crawl or walk. BITD, racers would crack, meaning they just flat couldn't push the gear. Massive time would be lost. With today's gearing, a pro who blows up can gear down, spin, recover, and manage the losses. Riding fixed or SS is retro like that.

Just a half-baked idea, but I think the reason fixed gear feels good is that it's natural. Like walking/jogging/running. Speed = cadence. It feels right.
Old 05-04-24, 12:12 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by downtube42
Fixed can be faster climbing if the grade and duration are in a specific band than allows sustained out of saddle climbing at a higher level of effort than one is willing to do with gears. Fixed is speed limited descending, whereas SS is not. So I feel like technically, SS can be the fastest if the terrain is right.

That was a mouthful. Basically, fixed or SS demands out of saddle climbing just to keep moving, whereas geared you can gear down and spin. But if the grade or duration exceed physical limitation, fixed/ss you either slow to a crawl or walk. BITD, racers would crack, meaning they just flat couldn't push the gear. Massive time would be lost. With today's gearing, a pro who blows up can gear down, spin, recover, and manage the losses. Riding fixed or SS is retro like that.

Just a half-baked idea, but I think the reason fixed gear feels good is that it's natural. Like walking/jogging/running. Speed = cadence. It feels right.
I agree with all.

I never used to climb standing, but then I biked mostly on flat land, always spun up small inclines. Moved to mildly hillier terrain, went 2X to 3X on road bike, still spun. Moved to terrain with steep climbs, converted 1X folder to wide 2X, still spun, but not enough on some long climbs. Started standing climbing for the first time. After a while, learned proper cadence, which is:
- too low a gear, too fast, tire out quick
- too high a gear, too slow and pulling on handlebars too hard, tire out quick
- geared just right when I'm using mostly my weight on the pedals, not pulling hard on the handelbars, I'm guessing a cadence of about 50.

Also, added bar ends to my flat bar; The more forward position on the front of them gives better body position when standing, and, hand orientation is better for pulling on the bars.

Standing climbing is easier on my knees than pushing a tall gear sitting.

Also, standing climbing works stomach muscles better than spinning. And I need all the help there that I can, I'm overweight.

All of the above is probably somewhere online if I had bothered to look. Amazing how I've been a serious road biker for 35 years now but didn't know the above until recently.