Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

chain jams; pushes FD up

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

chain jams; pushes FD up

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 03:37 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
chain jams; pushes FD up

Riding the Masi yesterday, bout 40 miles in, everything going great, suddenly FD is jammed. I figured out what happened: when I shift from middle ring to big > chain does not mesh w/ring per usual, instead it sits on top of ring > when chain enters cage of FD, jams, pushes FD up seat tube. This is the 2ND TIME this has happened in the last cpl weeks. FD, SL & rings are alivio; chain is sram. None of the components are anywhere near the end of their life. I have absolutely no idea where this came from- everything has been working fine since day 1. pls help
Old 08-23-22, 06:22 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Photos. Photos. Photos.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-23-22, 06:24 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Had a similar issue with the below shown RD during an 'out of spec' setup. Chainring was larger than intended for. On the mis-shifts, the chain would jam against the tab at the front of the cage (red arrow).

Moved the FD up to prevent it from jamming. Outer cage is 5-6mm above the large ring instead of the usual 1-3mm. Not the best solution, but works well enough for now. Final build will use a different FD.

Old 08-24-22, 03:33 PM
epnnf

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Photos. Photos. Photos.
thought somebody would ask. ..

Last edited by epnnf; 08-24-22 at 03:36 PM. Reason: (sorry idk how/why photos are upside/down) SL is in 1st gear, but FD is in 2nd, sort of
Old 08-24-22, 03:39 PM
epnnf

Originally Posted by KCT1986
Had a similar issue with the below shown RD during an 'out of spec' setup. Chainring was larger than intended for. On the mis-shifts, the chain would jam against the tab at the front of the cage (red arrow).

Moved the FD up to prevent it from jamming. Outer cage is 5-6mm above the large ring instead of the usual 1-3mm. Not the best solution, but works well enough for now. Final build will use a different FD.

I think you meant FD. But, that is an idea I will consider.
For now, Im gonna replace cable & chain. (tmrw)
Old 08-24-22, 03:57 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
I think you meant FD. But, that is an idea I will consider.
For now, Im gonna replace cable & chain. (tmrw)
Yes, big oops there.

Seems that your FD has the tab in the very front of the cage. Looks like its bent upwards, probably from the mis-shifts. Not sure why you're getting the mis-shifts to begin with.

If you're changing the cable, a check of the condition of the cable housing and end caps may be in order.
Old 08-24-22, 04:04 PM
epnnf

Originally Posted by KCT1986
Yes, big oops there.

Seems that your FD has the tab in the very front of the cage. Looks like its bent upwards, probably from the mis-shifts. Not sure why you're getting the mis-shifts to begin with.

If you're changing the cable, a check of the condition of the cable housing and end caps may be in order.
yea, I will check. Also clean, etc...
The only thing I can think of is a bad link running into a bad tooth
Old 08-24-22, 07:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
First is the large amount of tooth wear on the big and small rings (can't see the middle teeth...). These will in time cause more issues so start budgeting for their replacement.

The current (in the photos provided) ft der cage height above the large ring is way way too much. When the cage outer plate is just coplaner/above to the large ring the gap between the teeth tops and cage plate lower edge will be 2-4mms.

It is possible given the wear I see that the ft der cage could have a groove worn/cut into the plate's inside surfaces. This would cause chain jamming during shifting (and Shimano MtB shifters generally don't have a trim feature, so chain rub is more common than on their road stuff).

The der should be able to be tightened around the seat tube well enough to not move or travel up the ST from the stress of poor shifting. Often once a shifting jam has happened the outer cage plate will distort and no longer have that 2-4mm gap above the teeth.

I hope we can assume you never shift the ft under any pedal pressure Andy
Old 08-24-22, 07:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
Andy said it best also that cable is super frayed so I have to imagine the bike is not as well cared for as it could be seeing that. Take care of the bike and it will take care of you, maltreat it and you can easily run into problems.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-25-22, 08:36 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 966 Posts
Oh my is that worn, replacement is the best solution. New rings, chain, and cassette. Andrew has already mentioned the position of the derailleur, and the possibility of shifting techniques may be in play, but those parts are well past.
Old 08-25-22, 03:33 PM
epnnf

ty all for comments.
The above pics are of after the incident- after the FD had been jammed up the seat tube, idk, 1/8" or more. The CS & chain were replaced spring of this year. The chainrings a cpl yrs ago.
So, below are recent pics after chain & cable replaced. The old chain was worn around 1/8" over the entire length. The guy @ lbs said bring the bike in/it could be many things/something is out of adjustment. Well, Im gonna ride it Saturday/Ill find out how it works.

shown in 1st gear.