Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this top tube dent fatal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 10:37 AM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts

Well, I was really excited about this frame, but I just got it stripped down to rebuild and noticed a quarter size dent underneath the top tube. It's Reynolds 501 tubing (84 trek 520).

I'm shocked I didn't notice it before. I've been staring at this bike for.months planning the rebuild so part of me suspects I somehow did this while I was removing the headset today. Then again, it's on an area that's painted over with touch up paint or nail polish, so they could have tried to paint over the damage before, or maybe the paint is covering rust which weakened the tube and being in the stand applied enough pressure to crimp it.

Does anyone have an opinion on if this dent is fatal and/or a safety concern? If I take it to a shop and ask I'm pretty sure they will just tell me not to ride it because they don't want to be held liable. But you, internet patron, do not have that concern, so give it to me straight and tell me if you'd still ride it

Old 06-17-23, 10:45 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Looks like it's been there a while, and it's a steel frame. I wouldn't worry about it. I might clean it up and touch up the paint so it would be easier to tell if any cracks started forming, but it doesn't seem like an existential threat to me.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 06-17-23, 10:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
A small dent like that on the TT is no big deal.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-17-23, 11:43 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
I agree. what kind of frame ? or tubing? it's not a superlight tube (like 531SL)

I think it is non catastrophic. don't worry too much about it

/markp
Old 06-17-23, 11:47 AM
J_Climacus 

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I agree. what kind of frame ? or tubing? it's not a superlight tube (like 531SL)

/markp
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. This is Cliff from CR by the way. I actually looked at some of your old posts in the CR archive before posting here. It's Reynolds 501. I don't really care about it cosmetically, I just don't want my top tube to snap in half while I'm riding down a hill
Old 06-17-23, 11:52 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Climacus
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. This is Cliff from CR by the way. I actually looked at some of your old posts in the CR archive before posting here. It's Reynolds 501. I don't really care about it cosmetically, I just don't want my top tube to snap in half while I'm riding down a hill
Nah, it won't do that. the tube cross section has not been compromised. The top tube is loaded in compression mostly.

somewhere I'd bet there's a finite element simulation where a circular tube is subjected to a load and then the size or radial span (subtended angle) of the dent increases till it fails.

I think we'd both be surprised at how big the dent has to be to seriously compromise the strength.

these things happen. ride and enjoy

/markp
Old 06-17-23, 12:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
It's unlikely to suddenly snap apart. If it does surprise you like that, then it's because you didn't pay it any attention while a crack was developing over some unknown period of time.

As a general thing any time one is cleaning, airing up the tires or otherwise just admiring the bike, one should also look to see if somethings is different than it was before with the bike. Whether it's a dent or a part of the frame that was formerly in pristine condition.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-17-23, 01:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Fatal? To you or to the bike?

Seriously, and discussion of tube damage in bike frames has to start with location. There's a world of difference between a dent near the head tube, and the same dent in the middle or the opposite end. Then depth and shape matter, as does the cause, if known. A buckle or upset or dent with a sharp crease is more serious than a clean dent as might happen if the bike falls against a lamp post.

As best as I can from the photos, the dent isn't in a bad place, and is shallow enough to be ignored, except for rust potential if the paint is coming off. High end race bikes have suffered similar dents from handlebars hitting the frame, and ridden for years with no issues.

If it bothers you, fill it with some body filler, and cover with some kind of decal or trim. Or do as an old riding buddy of mine did ----- put a band aid over it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-17-23, 02:55 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I wonder how it happened. I would look closely @ the rest of the frame.
Old 06-17-23, 03:49 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
On my phone that looks like a rust hole, I’d strip the paint and look
Old 06-17-23, 03:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Reynolds 501: seamed, cold-drawn chrome-moly tubing. Not particularly thin.

Agreed. But here may be rust under the pain that could become a concern.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-17-23, 05:36 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i'd be more worried about the rust that that dent... the rust runs for quite a distance away from the dent, btw... look at the rough paint as a clue to the extent of the rust....
  • 501 - Reynolds 501 was a chromium-molybdenum (CrMo) steel, seamed, butted 3-tubes tubeset that made its debut about 1983 and was available in two different thicknesses.
    • 501ATB - Mountain, All terrain, Off-road
    • 501 Magnum - Same use as ATB
    • 501SB - Single Butted
    • 501SL - Special lightweight (SL) tubeset
the above is from this wiki... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_Technology
here's a chart showing weights and tubing thicknesses from Reynolds....
https://equusbicycle.com/bike/reynold...80brochure.jpg
Likes For maddog34:
Old 06-17-23, 06:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
Visually ugly and should be cleaned and dressed up with some paint but not fatal. Though me personally I probably wouldn't want to ride it unless I made the dent but that is just me being me. I think it probably has been there a while and will continue to be there a while and so long as you keep a good eye on it and maybe take some photos once you remove paint and then one of it painted and then just keep doing that over the months and years and check to see if it changes you will be fine.

The rust would be my biggest concern but I would look over the entire frame and make sure there is nothing else lurking.
Old 06-17-23, 06:37 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
... If I take it to a shop and ask I'm pretty sure they will just tell me not to ride it because they don't want to be held liable. But you, internet patron, do not have that concern, so give it to me straight and tell me if you'd still ride it
I agree with others that rust is not good and would look for local help if possible. Your worry with a shop may be valid but we have a one man shop in Portland who can be relied on to give it to you straight even if he is out the examination time and no repairs. Also In Tucson we have a frame builder who I have seen do that for myself and others. If he thought it safe he would clean that up, fill it and try to match the paint best he can with his stash of paint for a reasonable price.
Old 06-17-23, 08:44 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Yuck. File/sand away all that nastiness between the red marks really well and follow up with naval jelly. Then take another pic.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-18-23, 08:44 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 966 Posts
You can press a lot of that dent with a removable face place stem. If it, the clamp, is the same size as the tube. You could roll it to, but that would strip the paint.

Coincidentaly, here is just that on a trek 520 made of Reynolds 501.

Not bad from dent to ding

Last edited by Mr. 66; 06-18-23 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-18-23, 08:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
I almost never say this, but I would strip the paint from the dented area. It's about to fall off anyway. No more paint than the edges of the dent. Steel does crack from dents, and if any dent in history was going to crack, this one is it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-18-23, 09:05 AM
J_Climacus 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I almost never say this, but I would strip the paint from the dented area. It's about to fall off anyway. No more paint than the edges of the dent. Steel does crack from dents, and if any dent in history was going to crack, this one is it.
Thanks, all. I'm in the process of stripping the gold touch up paint to see what is underneath. So far it's actually not bad, but it's slow going since I'm trying to *only* remove the touch up paint. Not finding much concerning rust underneath at the point, but I will post pictures when that process is done, hopefully later tonight.

This is unrelated, but I'm annoyed because I overpaid for this bike ($400). I knew I was overpaying, but I hate being the craigslist guy who shows up and haggles, so I just paid the money because I knew I really wanted this specific frame with the canti mounts and I'd been looking for awhile without finding one in my size.

However, Im very annoyed with myself that I didn't do a more thorough inspection before handing the cash over. I checked everything to make sure it functioned, pulled the stem and seatpost loose, etc. But somehow missed this.

It's all good in the end and a good learning experience. Just annoying! I'll probably put a saved search back up so that if another in better shape comes along, I can ride that one without the worry and re-home this one for a great price. I bought about $1k worth of non-frame parts to go on the build so it would be a shame to put all that on a bike I always have second thoughts about riding hard, even if those second thoughts are unfounded and the bike is probably fine. Or who knows, maybe I'll get to riding it and it will never give me trouble and I will just forget eventually. Time will tell.

I'll follow up when I've stripped the paint and took more photos.

Last edited by J_Climacus; 06-18-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For J_Climacus:
Old 06-18-23, 04:51 PM
J_Climacus 

Ok, I got the touch up paint mostly scraped off. For whatever reason, they slathered the paint on there even though the damage to the paint wasn't even that bad. The bubbly texture appears to have been just paint, not rust. That or it was a Rust-Oleum type product that was applied to what was at one point rust but did it's job and kept it from spreading.

The dent does have slight creasing. Tough to get a picture of but it makes me think the dent may not roll out that well if I attempt it. I may try the stem trick mentioned above, but due to the shape of the dent I'm not that optimistic about it.

All in all, it is not as bad under the surface as the touch up paint made it appear, but I'm still bummed and may try to source a frame without a dent. This strikes me as a dent, not a ding. In the meantime I will probably build this up like I intended to, though.

Likes For J_Climacus:
Old 06-18-23, 08:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Ok, I got the touch up paint mostly scraped off. For whatever reason, they slathered the paint on there even though the damage to the paint wasn't even that bad. The bubbly texture appears to have been just paint, not rust. That or it was a Rust-Oleum type product that was applied to what was at one point rust but did it's job and kept it from spreading.

The dent does have slight creasing. Tough to get a picture of but it makes me think the dent may not roll out that well if I attempt it. I may try the stem trick mentioned above, but due to the shape of the dent I'm not that optimistic about it.

All in all, it is not as bad under the surface as the touch up paint made it appear, but I'm still bummed and may try to source a frame without a dent. This strikes me as a dent, not a ding. In the meantime I will probably build this up like I intended to, though.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The rust looks superficial, and the dent is far enough from the stressed area (head tube) to not be a serious concern. Steel does not fail catastrophically, and if/when it does fail, you'll have ample warning.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-19-23, 08:10 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
It's Reynolds 501. I don't really care about it cosmetically, I just don't want my top tube to snap in half while I'm riding down a hill
I wouldn't worry about it - 501 isn't likely to crack, the top tube isn't highly stressed, but I would clean off the rust and splash some paint on it.
Old 06-19-23, 12:17 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Speaking as a structural engineer, I've no concern for this. We deal with a similar situation often where forklifts run into building columns.

Between the frame joints, the frame is not working terribly hard. Most of the bending stress in the top tube is located near the joints which is why the strategy of butting increasingly thin tubing together as one moves away from the joints is effective. I'm pretty confident that the dent could just as easily be a hole and it would still make little difference. And that's good because, structurally, the dent may not be a whole lot better than a hole.

Likes For Harold74:
Old 06-19-23, 12:52 PM
J_Climacus 

Originally Posted by Harold74
Speaking as a structural engineer, I've no concern for this. We deal with a similar situation often where forklifts run into building columns.

Between the frame joints, the frame is not working terribly hard. Most of the bending stress in the top tube is located near the joints which is why the strategy of butting increasingly thin tubing together as one moves away from the joints is effective. I'm pretty confident that the dent could just as easily be a hole and it would still make little difference. And that's good because, structurally, the dent may not be a whole lot better than a hole.

This is helpful, thank you!