Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how to stay dry in the "middle" body section

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 08:36 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Heya,

I recently aquired a "proper" rainjacket to keep me dry and allow me to go riding if the weather is sub-par. However, this doesn't keep my pants dry. How do you guys go about this? To me, having a wet bum/crotch area is the worst when cycling.
I haven't really found something in the shorts-section for to keep my dry. And what's the point of bib shorts? Quick drying is fine, once you get out of the rain, but i presume you get soaked thru pretty quickly and have to deal with the aforementioned issue.

BR
P!
Old 07-09-23, 08:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,927 Times in 6,105 Posts
I got an SKS S-blade fender that clamps onto the seatpost. It does an amazing job, since most of what was getting my shorts wet was spray off the back wheel.

But the other thing would be a rain jacket with a long tail.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-09-23, 09:02 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Sorry, i should mention that i already use fenders and the jacket i have has a long tail. But when riding in the rain, i feel quite a lot of it gets accumulated in the middle/crotch section from the front.
Old 07-09-23, 10:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,661 Times in 2,928 Posts
You can buy waterproof rain pants (don’t think waterproof shorts exist) or my old trick was to wear a poncho and drape it over the bars. Or you could buy rain pants and cut them down into shorts.

Old 07-09-23, 11:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
If you are covering up with rain gear, remember that it's harder for your sweat to be carried away and evaporated. So some of your wet down there in the middle might be just sweat with no where else to go. And that includes everywhere above that rolled down your body since it too had nowhere else to go.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-09-23, 11:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are covering up with rain gear, remember that it's harder for your sweat to be carried away and evaporated. So some of your wet down there in the middle might be just sweat with no where else to go. And that includes everywhere above that rolled down your body since it too had nowhere else to go.
+1. Even “breathable” rainwear is quickly overwhelmed. Breathable rainwear is designed mostly for low aerobic activities. I’ve had many rides where I’m just as wet inside as outside including one ride in North Carolina where I had a river of sweat pouring out of my “breathable” jacket’s coat sleeves. I also did 60 miles in the rain 2 years ago in Wisconsin without wearing a rain jacket because it just wasn’t worth the heat being trapped by the jacket and the sweat being generated. I’d never do that here in Colorado…temperatures tend to drop into dangerous levels during rain storms here…but the temperature in Wisconsin was in the upper 60s for the whole ride. It wasn’t “pleasant” but it was endurable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-09-23, 03:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Anything that's advertised as waterproof and breathable is going to make you soaked with your own sweat, even the most expensive Gore-Tex jackets... Personally I don't use any rain specific clothing. In warm weather I don't care about getting wet with rain and if I am riding in cold rain I just try to stay warm by wearing insulating layers and a lightweight wind resistant shell only on my upper body. My lower body doesn't seem to get cold as much so I don't overdress below my waist.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-09-23, 03:49 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
IMHO you cant ride a bicycle & be dry at the same time
YMMV
Likes For epnnf:
Old 07-09-23, 03:55 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
I do not know that there is a way to the whole body dry when riding in rain/wet. I do have water resistant apparel that that does keep one from getting wet for a relatively short amount of time. I have full fenders on the bike I ride when I know it is going to be wet, but that is to keep the road gunk getting on the drivetrain to a minimum more than to protect myself. They do a very good job of that, and, again, help keep me drier for a bit of time. If one is going to ride a bike in the rain or wet conditions, for more than a short ride, one is going to get wet.
Old 07-09-23, 04:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,927 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I do not know that there is a way to the whole body dry when riding in rain/wet. I do have water resistant apparel that that does keep one from getting wet for a relatively short amount of time. I have full fenders on the bike I ride when I know it is going to be wet, but that is to keep the road gunk getting on the drivetrain to a minimum more than to protect myself. They do a very good job of that, and, again, help keep me drier for a bit of time. If one is going to ride a bike in the rain or wet conditions, for more than a short ride, one is going to get wet.
Yeah, after this winter in NorCal, I have to agree. I was pretty happy with the wet weather gear I had, but essentially what it does is slow down the saturation, and it keeps you warm while wet, and I figure that's about the best you can hope for. Mind you, it only rains when it's cold (well, cold-ISH) here, so jackets and tights and booties all make sense. We don't have to worry about warm and rainy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-09-23, 06:26 PM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild;[url=tel:22948433
22948433[/url]]Anything that's advertised as waterproof and breathable is going to make you soaked with your own sweat, even the most expensive Gore-Tex jackets... Personally I don't use any rain specific clothing. In warm weather I don't care about getting wet with rain and if I am riding in cold rain I just try to stay warm by wearing insulating layers and a lightweight wind resistant shell only on my upper body. My lower body doesn't seem to get cold as much so I don't overdress below my waist.
is my method also. I don’t do anything extra for rain till it gets under 50*f. Wind proof outer layer below 50. The worst is down near freezing n rain. I still feel the effects of forgetting the barmitts one day last winter on right hand when gloves got wet.

I commute year round from September to june 6days per week. 30miles per day
Old 07-10-23, 08:58 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
As others have indicated above…unless you’re just riding along at a leisurely snail’s pace, it’s really impossible to stay dry regardless if there’s precipitation or not. The wetness factor comes down to making a choice between being warm or cold. In warm weather…if I really want to ride…I don’t really concern myself with being wet with either sweat or rain. Yes…being wet isn’t the most comfortable situation for riding. But if you really want to ride, you have to deal with it. On cold days…I choose clothing that will keep me warm once I do get wet.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-10-23, 10:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
But if you really want to ride, you have to deal with it. On cold days…I choose clothing that will keep me warm once I do get wet.
That typically means a windproof shell on top if it is chilly or cold. For cold weather I have some tights that are windproof in the front.

Personally I don't mind riding in the rain. Being wet isn't a big deal.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 07-10-23, 08:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,661 Times in 2,928 Posts
When it rains, I wear a base layer under my bibs to keep me warmer. Then I use either pull on legs or knee warmers. I am just resigned I will be wet, but warm wet is preferred.

Old 07-11-23, 12:39 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Full coverage front fender keeps me very dry from road spray.

If you can’t do full coverage, try adding a down tube fender.
Old 07-11-23, 07:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Or you could buy rain pants and cut them down into shorts.
That's what I used to do. Nowadays I ride in the rain so little that I just put up with the wet.

Bib shorts: IMHO they are mostly to keep the shorts from riding down if you have some extra ballast in the middle.
Old 07-11-23, 11:15 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Don't know how much this will help; I'm mostly surprised the page is still up after ten years, and some of the links don't work any more, but check out all the 'clothing' options on the zPacks website ... they have gaiters and even rain kilts.

https://popupbackpacker.com/the-sear...ble-rain-gear/

https://zpacks.com/collections/clothing
Old 07-15-23, 01:01 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
The rain kilt looks great but how do I keep my bagpipes dry??