Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tips on riding longer?

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Tips on riding longer?

Old 05-17-10, 08:53 PM
timstone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tips on riding longer?

I know this is obviously early for me to be posting this...but I got a bike yesterday and rode it today for the first time. I rode 4 miles in just under 20 minutes. I'd like to do long rides and was wondering if it will just come naturally or if I should do some type of training while doing my rides to increase the stamina in my legs? My legs were pretty wore after the ride today but I think I might be able to go even further.
Old 05-17-10, 08:55 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
increase your mileage 10-20% more per ride. Make sure you take rest days if you arn't feeling good - you build muscle during recovery.
Old 05-17-10, 09:07 PM
Plow13

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go downhill longer
Old 05-17-10, 09:11 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
harder, better, faster, stronger, do it faster makes us stronger!

(does that help in ANY way?)
Old 05-17-10, 09:18 PM
ptle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring two water bottles and a snack. Then just do it.

When you first start riding you will be sore. Especially your butt, because you're probably not used to sitting on a bike seat for very long. When I first started riding I didn't have any problems with my legs being sore, but my shoulders were. That's because I wasn't used to riding a road bike or was doing something weird with my arms or shoulders.

If you're kind of in shape you should be able to ride for an hour. It's just like doing a moderate exercise for an hour (depending on your pace). If you keep increasing your distance, soon 10 miles will only seem like a warm up.

You mention that you just started riding your bike, you get used to using "cycling muscles" which will make it easier.
Old 05-17-10, 09:19 PM
Germanicus
Delusional Laserbrain

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross, 1993 Giant Iguana rebuild w/ singlespeed drive train

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that pushing yourself hard on shorter rides can do a lot to improve your overall fitness level. I like to alternate between long rides and shorter high intensity laps around my part of Town. I have a specific 1 mile circuit that has good roads, light traffic and a few hills of varying pitch. I usually spend 1 or 2 evenings per week after work doing this loop hard 4 or 5 times.
Old 05-17-10, 09:26 PM
mrvile
The bus, Gus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle View Post
This. I think you'll be surprised by how long you can actually stay on the bike (though your butt will hurt). Yeah, your legs will get tired, but the great thing about riding a bike is that your legs will recover if you ease the pace a bit. Have fun and don't think about how long/far you've ridden. Just do it.
Old 05-17-10, 09:41 PM
timstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you first start riding you will be sore. Especially your butt, because you're probably not used to sitting on a bike seat for very long. When I first started riding I didn't have any problems with my legs being sore, but my shoulders were. That's because I wasn't used to riding a road bike or was doing something weird with my arms or shoulders.

If you're kind of in shape you should be able to ride for an hour. It's just like doing a moderate exercise for an hour (depending on your pace). If you keep increasing your distance, soon 10 miles will only seem like a warm up.

You mention that you just started riding your bike, you get used to using "cycling muscles" which will make it easier.
Didn't have a bottle cage on the bike yet which is why I didn't ride that extra bit I thought I could ride...my mouth was dry as sand and I dressed a bit too warm...thought it was colder out. But now I have 1 cage and need to get another probably soon but I will stick with just 1 for now.
Old 05-17-10, 09:43 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I rode a 2-mile circuit around our neighborhood a bunch of times before I did my first long ride of 16 miles. It was pretty much "I think I'll ride <there> and back". Setting the destination was the key. Now anything less than 20 miles doesn't seem worth the pre and post ride effort (unless it's hill repeats).

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 05-17-10, 10:18 PM
bike eagle
Forever Is Real

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia with Brooks Saddle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of bike?

Also, lots of new riders push hard in too high a gear. Instead, maintaining a higher cadence in a lower gear will be easier on your legs.
Old 05-17-10, 10:26 PM
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
I find that pushing yourself hard on shorter rides can do a lot to improve your overall fitness level. I like to alternate between long rides and shorter high intensity laps around my part of Town. I have a specific 1 mile circuit that has good roads, light traffic and a few hills of varying pitch. I usually spend 1 or 2 evenings per week after work doing this loop hard 4 or 5 times.
Raise the left; fill the right.
Old 05-17-10, 10:30 PM
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know that point when you usually get off your bike? Don't.
Old 05-17-10, 10:33 PM
timstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike eagle View Post
What kind of bike?

Also, lots of new riders push hard in too high a gear. Instead, maintaining a higher cadence in a lower gear will be easier on your legs.
It's a Schwinn Tourist (my first bike) it has 700C slicks on it...going to do a drop bar conversion soon. As for the gears...there were small hills...so I spent a good amount of time in low gears to climb the hills...any time I was pedaling faster than the bike could keep up with I went to a higher gear.
Old 05-17-10, 10:57 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nahh View Post
harder, better, faster, stronger, do it faster makes us stronger!

(does that help in ANY way?)

That that that that that don't kill me
can only make me stronger
Old 05-17-10, 11:02 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my advice: raise your saddle

No new rider on a road bike without some kind of mentor seems to ever have their seat high enough. You can't put your feet down, right?
Old 05-17-10, 11:07 PM
timstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude View Post
my advice: raise your saddle

No new rider on a road bike without some kind of mentor seems to ever have their seat high enough. You can't put your feet down, right?
Can tip toe and just barely...here is a picture of my bike....seat may have been higher...i took it off to put the pack under the seat right before i took this picture

Old 05-17-10, 11:10 PM
djlarroc

Bikes: '03 Trek Fuel 100, '09 Fuji Cross Comp, '09 Fuji Team Issue/RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This x2.

I've been MTBing for a few yrs, but it's never been really long distances. I recently got into road biking and had done about 30 miles over 10 days, before I did my longest ride of 25 miles a Sat afternoon. I was a bit tired (from the sun & cuz of sports I did earlier that morn), butI felt good still. My triceps were a little sore, but that was it, and the soreness was gone the next day.
Old 05-17-10, 11:25 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point, don't think about distance, time or any other metric.

Just go out for a ride and enjoy the experience. Pick a pretty spot or interesting coffee shop to visit that you feel is within your grasp.

Cycling is fun.
Old 05-17-10, 11:37 PM
timstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap View Post
At this point, don't think about distance, time or any other metric.

Just go out for a ride and enjoy the experience. Pick a pretty spot or interesting coffee shop to visit that you feel is within your grasp.

Cycling is fun.
Indeed it is fun...but I am in it more for the workout than anything else...which is why I'd like to do longer rides....longer rides = more calories burned. I know I can probably burn the same amount going hard for a short distance but that doesn't really interest me that much.
Old 05-17-10, 11:49 PM
djlarroc

Bikes: '03 Trek Fuel 100, '09 Fuji Cross Comp, '09 Fuji Team Issue/RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is the scenery on your bike rides? It's easy for me to ride far because the bike paths in CO are beautiful.
Old 05-17-10, 11:58 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timstone View Post
Can tip toe and just barely...here is a picture of my bike....seat may have been higher...i took it off to put the pack under the seat right before i took this picture

nice bike. if you can tiptoe (both feet) it's too low. If you can almost stand even with one foot while still in the middle of the saddle, it's probably too low. Make sure your tires are aired up to at least 90psi. if you don't have a gauge, they should feel rock solid. no squish. I'm not kidding, and it'll make you faster. Also, you'll find you engage your muscles more efficiently if you pedal with the balls of your feet, not your heels. It may feel a bit weird at first, but it works better

Obviously I haven't seen you ride, but this is the stuff I wish someone had told me when I got my first bike again at 22 after having not ridden since I was a kid.
Old 05-17-10, 11:58 PM
serra
Some guy with a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of it, in my experience, is motivation. My mind tends to want to give out before the rest of my body does. I find that going interesting places helps a lot. It helps a lot more when you have to go up hill to get there Oh, and book stores/libraries! They make great rest stops.
Old 05-18-10, 12:11 AM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just go....
Old 05-18-10, 01:03 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Ride to a destination 10 miles away. There, you just forced yourself to do a 20 mile ride.
Old 05-18-10, 01:22 AM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
exactly.

You test different saddles and shorts to avoid pressure point pain and abrasions.

Start your rides out relatively slowly, until your bod gets warmed up, and your muscles get loosened up. If people pass you, you can speed up, but be careful, you can burn out. Take a cell and call for a pick up if you get too far from home and your legs or butt give out. For hydration, you can stop at convenience stores if you run out. Nothing wrong with using a hydration pack in hot summer conditions either, for 2-3-4+ hour rides. Long rides are good for weight loss, your body will get used to burning fat for energy, and won't need carbs if you stay in aerobic zones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.