Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie Tire Size Questions

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Newbie Tire Size Questions

Old 05-17-10, 09:29 PM
  #1  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie Tire Size Questions

So for future reference in replacing my tires,

im guessing my wheelset is a 700c, as that's the most common and the tires that are coming on them are 700x23c's

so i'm looking into buying some Gatorskins, and im finding multiple different sizes.

now i know from searching that 700x23c and 700x23 are the same, but whats the difference between 700x23 and, say, 700x25? Will they both fit my frameset?
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 09:35 PM
  #2  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it will fit your frame.
700x25 is basically 2mm wider than 23.
I have a 700x23 Gatorskin, but I measured it and it is actually 700x24, but that 1mm does not matter that much.
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 09:36 PM
  #3  
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,197

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nat3r View Post

now i know from searching that 700x23c and 700x23 are the same, but whats the difference between 700x23 and, say, 700x25? Will they both fit my frameset?
some people put the c, some don't. The c is for the rim, 700c. We can't tell you if your frame can fit 25mm tires until you tell us what it is, but I'm guessing you most likely can.
hairnet is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 09:38 PM
  #4  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a 52cm Fuji Obey.

im a bit on the heavier side (~200lbs) so im looking for a tire thats a bit more durable for my weight, and will last a while

Last edited by nat3r; 05-17-10 at 09:42 PM. Reason: frame size
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 09:51 PM
  #5  
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,680

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
28mm should be a good size for your weight.
Leukybear is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:01 PM
  #6  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happypills View Post
28mm should be a good size for your weight.
how can i find out if those fit in there though?

also, im not going to be skidding alot at all, so my tire will wear naturally.
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:16 PM
  #7  
lz4005
coasterbrakelockup
 
lz4005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 824

Bikes: surly steamroller w/coaster brake, electra single speed cruiser, specialized rockhopper commuter, no-name single speed folder, 700c ultimate wheel, 24" unicycle, specialized bmx lsd, single seat single speed huffy tandem, pink upsidedown parade bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nat3r View Post
im a bit on the heavier side (~200lbs) so im looking for a tire thats a bit more durable for my weight, and will last a while
How long the tire will last is more related to thickness of the tread part of the tire than the size. Bigger tires will be more resistant to pinch flats and soak up some of the bumpyness of the road.

I'm about the same weight as you and I ride 28's.
lz4005 is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:27 PM
  #8  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lz4005 View Post
How long the tire will last is more related to thickness of the tread part of the tire than the size. Bigger tires will be more resistant to pinch flats and soak up some of the bumpyness of the road.

I'm about the same weight as you and I ride 28's.

but how do i find out if it will fit in my frame?
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:28 PM
  #9  
destikon
FNG
 
destikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Quarry Stone
Posts: 877

Bikes: Raleigh Special * Nishiki MTN Winter Commuter * Trek Soho 3 * Specialized Langster Seattle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
38s here, at least on one of my rides. Go for comfort, but I doubt the obey will fit those... :-(
__________________
Originally Posted by powers2b View Post
time's up
destikon is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:35 PM
  #10  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by destikon View Post
38s here, at least on one of my rides. Go for comfort, but I doubt the obey will fit those... :-(
comforts good, but im mainly going for speed and durability, so i think i might go just under 28

as long as my fork will allow it.
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:36 PM
  #11  
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie
 
JacoKierkegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 1,048

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nat3r View Post
but how do i find out if it will fit in my frame?
That one, actually, is more of a trial and error type thing. A lot of the time it will have to do with your brakes more than your frame, and even then the actual size of the tire assigned to a given number can vary from one manufacturer to another. Just in general, I'd say most bikes will at least be able to clear a 28 or so. You should be fine with anything at or below that. As a rule, thinner = higher pressure = less rolling resistance but harsher ride, whereas wider = lower pressure = more rolling resistance, but more cushy. I prefer 23's, and they're more or less the standard for racing, but plenty of folks opt for the comfort of a slightly bigger tire. It's all a matter of personal preference.
JacoKierkegaard is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:42 PM
  #12  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JacoKierkegaard View Post
That one, actually, is more of a trial and error type thing. A lot of the time it will have to do with your brakes more than your frame, and even then the actual size of the tire assigned to a given number can vary from one manufacturer to another. Just in general, I'd say most bikes will at least be able to clear a 28 or so. You should be fine with anything at or below that. As a rule, thinner = higher pressure = less rolling resistance but harsher ride, whereas wider = lower pressure = more rolling resistance, but more cushy. I prefer 23's, and they're more or less the standard for racing, but plenty of folks opt for the comfort of a slightly bigger tire. It's all a matter of personal preference.
Thanks Jaco,
the Obey is a track bike, so it isn't drilled for a brake, so i wouldnt have to worry about that, but basically im wondering what is the maximum and minimum width that i can fit on my frameset.

I'm going to go with a middle of the road width, most likely 23's-25's.

From all the reviews of the Gatorskins i've been reading, i think it will be durable enough, im just preparing for the future.

any other input would, of course, be very helpful
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:51 PM
  #13  
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,680

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nat3r View Post
how can i find out if those fit in there though?

also, im not going to be skidding alot at all, so my tire will wear naturally.
It should fit tightly; if you're not sure just go to your LBS and ask for their opinion.... I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use 38 tho...
Leukybear is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:57 PM
  #14  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happypills View Post
It should fit tightly; if you're not sure just go to your LBS and ask for their opinion.... I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use 38 tho...
Tight? as in rubbing against the fork?
I also highly doubt ill be able to fit a 38 in there, but again, im not too concerned with which size i should be riding, i just want to know what the max width that my actual wheelset can accept. Or are 700c wheelsets pretty much universial
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 10:59 PM
  #15  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happypills View Post
It should fit tightly; if you're not sure just go to your LBS and ask for their opinion.... I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use 38 tho...
+1
Some people here seem to be afraid of going to the LBS for opinions and advices.
I love my LBS/communal workshop, $5/h for tools+stand+advice. Best place ever!
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 11:15 PM
  #16  
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,680

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nat3r View Post
Tight? as in rubbing against the fork?
I also highly doubt ill be able to fit a 38 in there, but again, im not too concerned with which size i should be riding, i just want to know what the max width that my actual wheelset can accept. Or are 700c wheelsets pretty much universial
Of course not silly; the tire should fit but appear to the eye with little clearance left (there's no repercussions to this; in fact many true track bikes out there are like this). A 38mm tire will not fit for sure... its meant for tarck bikes and conversions that have massive clearance due to them being converted from size 27in wheels to 700C.....

Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
+1
Some people here seem to be afraid of going to the LBS for opinions and advices.
I love my LBS/communal workshop, $5/h for tools+stand+advice. Best place ever!
My mechanic does it for free (even tires!) for me with purchase and sometimes not even.
Leukybear is offline  
Old 05-17-10, 11:51 PM
  #17  
nat3r
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happypills View Post
Of course not silly; the tire should fit but appear to the eye with little clearance left (there's no repercussions to this; in fact many true track bikes out there are like this). A 38mm tire will not fit for sure... its meant for tarck bikes and conversions that have massive clearance due to them being converted from size 27in wheels to 700C.....



My mechanic does it for free (even tires!) for me with purchase and sometimes not even.
But what about the wheelset, im not asking about the fork, im asking about the maximum tire that can fit on the avg 700c rim
nat3r is offline  
Old 05-18-10, 12:01 AM
  #18  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nat3r View Post
But what about the wheelset, im not asking about the fork, im asking about the maximum tire that can fit on the avg 700c rim
It depends on the inside width of the rim, if it has 23 tires already, the maximum is probably about a 32. I'd worry about the fork more if you looking for wider tires.
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-18-10, 12:04 AM
  #19  
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,197

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nat3r View Post
But what about the wheelset, im not asking about the fork, im asking about the maximum tire that can fit on the avg 700c rim
depends on rim width.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

scroll down near the bottom
hairnet is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Chicagomarkk
Hybrid Bicycles
2
07-06-15 07:05 AM
srestrepo
Commuting
13
07-27-14 08:07 PM
isuckatbiking
Road Cycling
18
06-03-14 01:40 PM
Reeses
Road Cycling
7
12-23-11 07:43 PM
mickey85
Classic & Vintage
7
06-19-10 04:45 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.