Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headshok Hack- Convert to Rigid

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 02:59 PM
BMWK75s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have an ancient cannondale F500 with a super fatty from another bike. The damper is leaking and needs to be replaced.
But, the bike is just going to be used as a campus beater. I am wondering if anyone has converted a headshok to a rigid fork just by removing the damper, and putting in a wooden dowel or metal rod that would replace the internals? Basically, changing the fork so that there is no air chamber/damper inside the fork.
Otherwise, the bike goes in the dumpster.
No, I don't want to spend $30 on a reducer cups and $50 on a cheap replacement fork, but thanks for thinking about it.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 02-20-19, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
give your idea a try yet?
Old 02-20-19, 12:29 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
You are going to need a really solid top cap to keep impacts from shoving the reenforcing rod up through the top of the steerer.

That $80 retrofit you mentioned doesn't sound like a bad investment
Old 02-20-19, 03:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You are going to need a really solid top cap to keep impacts from shoving the reenforcing rod up through the top of the steerer.

That $80 retrofit you mentioned doesn't sound like a bad investment
Yeah, but he ruled that out right off the top. I have a 20 year old F model Cannondale that I did exactly that with. Tossed the Headshok and put in a rigid fork with reducers.
Old 02-20-19, 03:59 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by BMWK75s
Otherwise, the bike goes in the dumpster.
Rob, that bike probably has a lot of otherwise high quality parts on it. At the very least, if your conversion project doesn't work out, please donate it to a co-op or post your location here and someone would gladly come pick that bike up from you. If you're in northwestern VA, I certainly would!
Old 02-20-19, 04:24 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I would just mention that you will probably be destroying the fork if you ride it like that. Even just riding around all the time with the lockout engaged will destroy most forks in short order. The bushing, or needle bearings in the case of a headshock won't get lubricated from moving up and down. Eventually it just eats through the sliding surfaces and the whole fork is trash.
Old 02-20-19, 08:39 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Yeah, but he ruled that out right off the top. I have a 20 year old F model Cannondale that I did exactly that with. Tossed the Headshok and put in a rigid fork with reducers.
Yeah, he ruled it out perhaps thinking there was a much cheaper kludge that would work. I don't think it will and suggested the retrofit is the next best thing.
Old 02-24-19, 09:45 PM
BMWK75s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Rob, that bike probably has a lot of otherwise high quality parts on it. At the very least, if your conversion project doesn't work out, please donate it to a co-op or post your location here and someone would gladly come pick that bike up from you. If you're in northwestern VA, I certainly would!
Actually, all the parts are pretty well junk, it was built from a frame and thrashed.
I guess I could go to the local bicycle junkyard and find a scrap 1 1/8" rigid fork somewhere.