Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California - no more?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California - no more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 02:45 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
It appears we have our choice: We can either complain about the ride or we can complain about the complainers. Alas, now we have nothing to complain about.
Rich? Hell yes! I own 12 bicycles.
Spoiled? Also yes. Cino spoiled me.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-09-24, 02:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I would say that it's probably because it's a show, not an organized ride.

With that in mind, it sure would be nice if someone could put together a list of US and Canada vintage rides similar to what non-fixie does for European rides. I'd do it except for the fact that I don't know of any other than Cino (and now CR-West). Are there any?
By all accounts, the "organized" ride known as Eroica CA sucks. Riding around the greater Auburn area is quite lovely, so using that excuse does not hold any weight whatsoever.

And here's your list.
CBA
CR West
Cino
Forgot, Rosebowl
Likes For iab:
Old 01-09-24, 03:57 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
By all accounts, the "organized" ride known as Eroica CA sucks. Riding around the greater Auburn area is quite lovely, so using that excuse does not hold any weight whatsoever.

And here's your list.
CBA
CR West
Cino
Forgot, Rosebowl
Brian Baylis San Diego Vintage ride- has a number of title variations.
there is a Nor Cal periodic vintage ride as chronicled in the Classic and Vintage forum here.
I am conservative with acronyms - CBA stands for?
Old 01-09-24, 04:54 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Brian Baylis San Diego Vintage ride- has a number of title variations.
there is a Nor Cal periodic vintage ride as chronicled in the Classic and Vintage forum here.
I am conservative with acronyms - CBA stands for?
See post 10.

And in reality, only Cino. The rest are unsupported.
Old 01-09-24, 04:57 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Acronym decoded

Classic Bikes Auburn

obviously showing my West Coast Bias-
WCB
Old 01-09-24, 05:03 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Nice to know about the Auburn show. As a car kid, I thought Auburns were some of the most beautiful ever. Be great to get a ride going over there. Ridden some in Indiana, but not that far East.
Old 01-09-24, 05:15 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
...I have noticed that folks back east sometimes, really, have no idea just how far things are apart west of the Mississippi

😜
Old 01-09-24, 05:47 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
Hi to all,

There is a thread on the Auburn show. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rn-2024-a.html

And there is a post there by "iab" that shares some informal ride routes that seem to be pretty good. "Plenty of unofficial rides. Nothing stopping you and a good coffee joint at the end of your ride,"
Here's a little loop I did - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40481257
Coffee shop - https://www.9thstreetbrew.com/
"And since I know the roads a bit better, I intend to ride this route, has a rest stop in Kendallville."
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45228527

- Guy
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 01-09-24, 06:10 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
So, my hats off to those organizers and hope they can make it happen.
Agreed! As a retired event director I can unequivocally say that most people do not understand how much effort it takes to put on a supported cycling event properly. It's so much more than just finding a nice route and inviting people to ride. There are permits, insurance, toilets, volunteers, support vehicles, promotional expenses and local government entities impose their own additional requirements. You've got to have money up front for expenses that you may or may not get back! Many events bring on a charity and operate under their umbrella to avoid taxes and excessive local fees that are imposed on "for profit" events. California is the worst for these issues and that has driven many events away. Yes there are still some successful events in CA but they are the exception to the trend. Being an event director is a crappy job, one that does not compensate adequately for the required effort. Those who have had the responsibility will know!
Old 01-09-24, 06:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The biggest thing I ever organized was a Halloween charity party for a hundred people where we wanted to have a band and sell beers. We got about seventy including the band who didn't pay to come in or pay for their beers. We made about $12. That showed me I am NOT cut out for it. Cheers to anyone who does and extra cheers to anyone who does it well.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-09-24, 09:38 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Im an Avid Vintage Cyclist/Collector , It's my passion and has been for many decades now. We have Very few Vintage Events and I try my hardest to support anything and everything Vintage cycling related , and I appreciate the hard work that goes into organizing Vintage Events . What I do not appreciate is people that have Not attended or have Zero interest in attending, Riding, or supporting a Vintage Event ,come on the Internet and Thoroughly Trash ,Besmirch and Sabotage an Event/Ride for whatever reason they might have. The constant Eroica whining and crying has been going on for over 3 years already, get over it. Its like a sewing circle around here, Whats the point of it ???

If you are disgruntled /little feelings hurt/or feel slighted concerning the Ride and are not going to attend L'Eroica its OK, dont go . But whats the point of coming Online and Constantly Crapping on a Ride that You have no interest in attending and turning away potential riders. . A few of us that attended the latest L'Eroica discussed the fact that all the constant Online Negativity turned away a lot of people ,Im certain it did. But when its gone its gone, Why ruin L'Eroica California for everyone else .. The other options, Japan or Italy ??

We spoke with The L'Eroica promoters and they reassured Us it was going to happen, and that there were changes going to be made. The Nova attendance was successful, The Vintage ride was Not . But I'll wait and see before I start pounding nails in the coffin .
Old 01-09-24, 09:42 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Eroica CA got pages of grief EVERY effing YEAR from a large number of posters here on BF. Many from “cyclists” who never participated. TBH, I wasn’t looking forward to another round of that.

I don’t know who operates this https but if there was interest in a vintage ride in the area…all we need is a date.
https://www.cyclecentralcoast.com/

The BWR in San Marcos CA is April 28 and this year there will be a Road Bike division for bikes that predate gravel: drop bars, double chainrings and 28mm maximum tires. It a great course for a C&V bike with indexed shifting and SPDs. I’ll be there on my RS with 9 speed bar ends and 25s.

I concur 100% .

And thanks for the heads up on the Belgian Waffle Ride April event ,San Marcos is a great area . Ive been eyeing it for a few years now . It looks doable .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 01-09-24, 09:56 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

And here's your list.
CBA
CR West
Cino
Forgot, Rosebowl
100% by your account. And not much vintage on the Rosebowl Ride — Maybe you mean the Velo Retro Ride. I remember living in Bloomington Indiana, in January, talking with friends out here, and I was jealous too. 😉

Last edited by Classtime; 01-10-24 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-09-24, 10:01 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
I concur 100% .

And thanks for the heads up on the Belgian Waffle Ride April event ,San Marcos is a great area . Ive been eyeing it for a few years now . It looks doable .
C&V crash the BWR👍👍
Old 01-09-24, 10:23 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
By all accounts, the "organized" ride known as Eroica CA sucks.
Why do you say that. Have you ever ridden it? The Eroica CA ride has been great every time I have ridden it and I think most people agree. There is the issue of the two post-Covid rides having very spotty on route support, but the ride was still great.

Originally Posted by iab
And here's your list.
CBA
CR West
Cino
Forgot, Rosebowl
I already named two of those (Cino and CR West) and noted that CBA does not appear to be a ride. What is Rosebowl? Are you referring to the very small informal monthly ride? Hardly qualifies as something to travel to. Perhaps there are no other US vintage rides, though it seems that I've heard of some through the gravevine.
Likes For davester:
Old 01-09-24, 10:34 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
I have enjoyed all Eroica Cal. Events I have attended . I have only missed one but was still signed up and I would’ve been there if I could’ve . I would go if there were suddenly an announcement of it happening. I am disappointed that it looks like it may not happen .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-10-24, 12:15 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 191 Posts
Are a few directs into Sacramento, too

Originally Posted by bibliobob
I'll do my best, but it will be 50/50. I'll have to navigate leaving the toddler solo with the wife, as well as the cost. The biggest challenge for CBA is the location. I can catch a direct flight from Sacramento to Chicago, but have to add the cost of renting a car when I get there, and the additional 3.5 hours to drive to Auburn. I'd love to get there, as I'm certain that a Mike Kone's event is as good as it's gets....

One advantage of CR West is that Davis is pretty close to both SF and Oakland, and most parts of the country can get there on a direct flight.

Bob and I are current Sacramentans so we have a well earned right to slag on our local airport, but in fairness, the airport has modernized in leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. There are a few direct flights from the East Coast directly into Sacramento International so there are options other than flying into the Bay Area airports. Jet Blue and United are two I can think of off of the top of my head. Just so people know, Davis (Where the CR event will be held) is basically a commuter town for Sacramento. About 11 miles from city hall to city hall.

If you are driving in and plan on spending the weekend, Sacramento is a good option for hotels. As I’ve mentioned in some other posts, our local vintage cycling club will be scheduling Friday and Sunday rides, in addition to the Saturday ride announced, to give attendees more riding options.
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 01-10-24, 12:27 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 191 Posts
I think Auburn sounds like a great event. I am considering it but the travel is a challenge. I expect that a fair number of people far away from ÇA will have the same reaction to the CR event and that’s ok. I don’t want to hijack this post too much since it was a demise of CA Eroica post. For the record, I went in 2023 and had a great time and I enjoyed the challenging course. Made some good parts scores, too at the swap. I hope it comes back in some form, even if it is not connected with the “official” Eroica group in Italy.
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 01-10-24, 02:00 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
Bob and I are current Sacramentans so we have a well earned right to slag on our local airport, but in fairness, the airport has modernized in leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. There are a few direct flights from the East Coast directly into Sacramento International so there are options other than flying into the Bay Area airports. Jet Blue and United are two I can think of off of the top of my head. Just so people know, Davis (Where the CR event will be held) is basically a commuter town for Sacramento. About 11 miles from city hall to city hall.

If you are driving in and plan on spending the weekend, Sacramento is a good option for hotels. As I’ve mentioned in some other posts, our local vintage cycling club will be scheduling Friday and Sunday rides, in addition to the Saturday ride announced, to give attendees more riding options.
Thanks for clarifying regarding Sacramento airport (SMF), Albert! As someone who has spent way too much time in airports, I can confidently proclaim that SMF is one of the best airports that I've traveled through. Super easy to navigate, small, efficient, and easy to get in and out of!

I definitely intended to offer OAK and SFO as additional options. SMF is far and away the best choice to fly into of the three, all things being equal.

It's shaping up to be a fun weekend...
Old 01-10-24, 08:47 AM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Thanks for clarifying regarding Sacramento airport (SMF), Albert! As someone who has spent way too much time in airports, I can confidently proclaim that SMF is one of the best airports that I've traveled through. Super easy to navigate, small, efficient, and easy to get in and out of!

I definitely intended to offer OAK and SFO as additional options. SMF is far and away the best choice to fly into of the three, all things being equal.

It's shaping up to be a fun weekend...
For folks staying in Sacramento or the Bay Area who would like to attend car-less you can use Amtrak trains to get to Davis. Hopefully there will be bike valet (maybe Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates SABA).
Likes For djkashuba:
Old 01-10-24, 10:00 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
I concur 100% .

Tell my more about the BWR. I might be able to get to that one and drag my boys into it, as well. Will has an early 1980s Centurion, and David has my old 1980 Peugeot PKN-10.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-10-24, 10:19 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
I'm curious is anyone has reached out to the organizers to clarify whether the event has been cancelled or not? A Classic Eroica CA on 9/15 was printed in the L'Eroica newspaper that was distributed at the Gaiole event last September, as well as a Nova. However, the website only initially listed the Nova, before it disappeared.

That being said, despite the support of the C&V tribe, Cambria is a bad location for an event like this. It is more than 2 hours from any airport of size, a 3 hour drive from any population center, heavily trafficked roads, and generally expensive lodging. All of this makes it difficult to attract participants. So I can see how the organizers may feel that the event would never scale up to a reasonable number of partcipants and cancel it.

If it is indeed cancelled, the local events and gathering like Cino, Auburn and the Davis event become much more important and I will plan my year accordingly.

From Gaiole 23 newspaper
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 01-10-24, 10:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by djkashuba
For folks staying in Sacramento or the Bay Area who would like to attend car-less you can use Amtrak trains to get to Davis. Hopefully there will be bike valet (maybe Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates SABA).
In Sac you would need to get a bus downtown from the airport. That's about half the journey with the train being the other half. Or you could stick with buses.

You can also do this by bike! The Google-suggested route from the airport to downtown is mostly residential. Then there is a bike trail along I-80. Is there a route across the rice paddies? The river is lacking in bridges. I don't know, but someone here will.

There is a notional airport-downtown light rail line but the last status report in 2022 said "we need money to plan how much it will cost" so don't put it on your calendar yet

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-10-24 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-10-24, 10:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

As a franchise you would think they have a model how to run it with a checklist of what should be provided and how often along the route. Or is it all just obsessed with inspecting the brake levers for pull direction?
Old 01-10-24, 12:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949
I'm curious is anyone has reached out to the organizers to clarify whether the event has been cancelled or not? A Classic Eroica CA on 9/15 was printed in the L'Eroica newspaper that was distributed at the Gaiole event last September, as well as a Nova. However, the website only initially listed the Nova, before it disappeared.

That being said, despite the support of the C&V tribe, Cambria is a bad location for an event like this. It is more than 2 hours from any airport of size, a 3 hour drive from any population center, heavily trafficked roads, and generally expensive lodging. All of this makes it difficult to attract participants. So I can see how the organizers may feel that the event would never scale up to a reasonable number of partcipants and cancel it.

If it is indeed cancelled, the local events and gathering like Cino, Auburn and the Davis event become much more important and I will plan my year accordingly.

From Gaiole 23 newspaper
Several people have reached out, so far radio silence, guess we'll see.

I found Cambria to be just fine for this, lodging was not expensive that I found, can't imagine traffic being any worse than most other similar Cal. locations.

I drove from Portland OR the last two years and had a great time at both of them.

We were told by the lead guy late Sunday after it was all over that it would be on again and while I assume it really wasn't up to him, he must have had good reason to say so.
Likes For merziac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.