Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Blue anodized cantilevers. What are these?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 07:00 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

Any idea?

Old 03-03-24, 07:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
We need to see the straddle and backside too.
Old 03-03-24, 08:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
We need to see the straddle and backside too.
You have multiple candidates?! With that cable angle I'm not hoping the straddle survived, if it was anything special

This definitely has a 1990's vibe but may be pretty obscure. BMX?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-04-24, 01:33 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You have multiple candidates?! With that cable angle I'm not hoping the straddle survived, if it was anything special

This definitely has a 1990's vibe but may be pretty obscure. BMX?
Nah, just hoping for more pics.

I have these on my 94 MB-1 and they're pretty cool Control Techs, it came to me with them and many other cool parts, especially the Ritchey designed fork crown that he never used or put into production.

He went with the unibrow, cheaper, stronger, fuglier, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.

Old 03-04-24, 05:09 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts

I have these on my 94 MB-1 and they're pretty cool Control Techs, it came to me with them and many other cool parts, especially the Ritchey designed fork crown that he never used or put into production.

He went with the unibrow, cheaper, stronger, fuglier, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.

Before Ritchey went all in with the unicrown fork, his mountain bikes were fit with an earlier version of a bi-plane fork crown…1981 Everest (photo borrowed from the Vintage Mountain Bike Workshop):
Old 03-04-24, 07:05 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts

What brakes or those and is that straddle wire free to float or is it fixed by those yoke screws? Reminds me of my Odyssey Straddle rods I have on Pedersen SE brakes.
Old 03-04-24, 08:53 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
Any idea?

In the early-mid ‘90’s there were a number of Taiwan-made knockoffs of US-built CNC products.
Here’s what I see: rust spots in the mounting bolts, so they’re chrome-plated, not stainless. The surface on the arms doesn’t look machined, more like it was cut from plate. I bet the brake pads are hard as rock…

Put new pads on ‘em, grease the pivots, replace the cables… they might be OK.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-04-24, 09:24 AM
Lbxpdx

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
In the early-mid ‘90’s there were a number of Taiwan-made knockoffs of US-built CNC products.
Here’s what I see: rust spots in the mounting bolts, so they’re chrome-plated, not stainless. The surface on the arms doesn’t look machined, more like it was cut from plate. I bet the brake pads are hard as rock…

Cool. The brakes were on a $30 bike at a thrift store and didn’t seem nice enough to justify the purchase. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-04-24, 03:32 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills

It looks to me like the pad slots are bevel machined for tilt/toe from here, granted the rest is off the hook hack production work.
Old 03-04-24, 03:50 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Before Ritchey went all in with the unicrown fork, his mountain bikes were fit with an earlier version of a bi-plane fork crown…1981 Everest (photo borrowed from the Vintage Mountain Bike Workshop):
Yeah, apples and oranges IMO.

I think he saw the handwriting, his bi-plane was being copied by most others with many going to a cast version.

He tried to get them to cast his fancy version but the cost was untenable so he spun the unibrow up and the rest is fugly history.

I'm glad Grant was able to get them done on these, they compare to few others and that is sad.

Not sure how Andy got it done but am also very glad he did.

He got Long Shen to cast them and had an at the time wiz kid helping with the design and production of them, I believe that is who Tom tried to get as well.

Grant probably had clout with them later on where as Tom did not, early on when he needed it.

Old 03-04-24, 04:52 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
<<voice="Majel Barrett">>Forum log supplemental note: This thread has been hijacked.<</voice>>
Likes For madpogue:
Old 03-04-24, 05:23 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
What brakes or those and is that straddle wire free to float or is it fixed by those yoke screws? Reminds me of my Odyssey Straddle rods I have on Pedersen SE brakes.
They are Control Techs and the yoke screws hold the wire that pivots on them.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-06-24, 12:21 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Yeah, apples and oranges IMO.

I think he saw the handwriting, his bi-plane was being copied by most others with many going to a cast version.

He tried to get them to cast his fancy version but the cost was untenable so he spun the unibrow up and the rest is fugly history.

I'm glad Grant was able to get them done on these, they compare to few others and that is sad.

Not sure how Andy got it done but am also very glad he did.

He got Long Shen to cast them and had an at the time wiz kid helping with the design and production of them, I believe that is who Tom tried to get as well.

Grant probably had clout with them later on where as Tom did not, early on when he needed it.

Just for ducks and to carry on the fork crown discussion on this cantilever brake thread, here is the fork crown of a late 1983/early 1984 “Montare Mountain Bike” which is when the split between Ritchey and Fisher was occurring (i.e., when Montare was a separate line before becoming a model in the Fisher Mountain Bike lineup in 1985). Note Ritchey sticker on fork blade. It appears to be an evolution of Ritchey’s earlier bi-plane model, on its way to the model adopted by Bridgestone (BTW my wife and I are original owners of 1992 XO-1s that Grant claimed carried the “Most Expensive Fork Crown in the World”).
Old 03-06-24, 12:54 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Just for ducks and to carry on the fork crown discussion on this cantilever brake thread, here is the fork crown of a late 1983/early 1984 “Montare Mountain Bike” which is when the split between Ritchey and Fisher was occurring (i.e., when Montare was a separate line before becoming a model in the Fisher Mountain Bike lineup in 1985). Note Ritchey sticker on fork blade. It appears to be an evolution of Ritchey’s earlier bi-plane model, on its way to the model adopted by Bridgestone (BTW my wife and I are original owners of 1992 XO-1s that Grant claimed carried the “Most Expensive Fork Crown in the World”).
Yep, well aware, that cast crown was/is not really a step up in the evolution IMO, I have a Takara with the same if not very similar that while certainly being a better aesthetic than a unibrow, its not a very good look to me, again, IMO. Tom must have decided it was time to get on with it, streamline and simplify.

And I believe the 92 X-01's crown is the same as the 94 MB-1's.

And not for nothing but MTB fork crowns and canti's are inextricably linked so......