Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Anybody know the difference between the Truvativ Howitzer XR and Team?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 11:01 PM
mrrhtuner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm in need of a Howitzer BB and have come across the Truvativ Howitzer XR and the Truvativ Howitzer Team bottom bracket.

Both seem to be marketed as a freeride/DH BB with a slight price difference between the two.
Both seem to have decent reviews.

Does anybody have any idea what could be difference? better bearings?

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/produc...iv-howitzer-xr

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/produc...witzer-team-bb

Thank you
Old 07-21-16, 03:01 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Steel cups on the Team; alloy cups on the XR.

Just be aware that, unless things have changed, Howitzers use the same damnable bearings that FSA and Race Face use in their external BBs - - 6804 (20x32x7) - - with the plastic 'top hat' dust cover/spindle interface. Which means you will be replacing those down the road with a proper Enduro bearing kit which has their proprietary 19x32x7 bearings.

Better bearings/cups if you have a spindle already are the Shimano Hollowtech - - they use an unbushed 19mm ID bearing.

Last edited by dminor; 07-21-16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 07:43 AM
mrrhtuner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor

Just be aware that, unless things have changed, Howitzers use the same damnable bearings that FSA and Race Face use in their external BBs - - 6804 (20x32x7) - - with the plastic 'top hat' dust cover/spindle interface. Which means you will be replacing those down the road with a proper Enduro bearing kit which has their proprietary 19x32x7 bearings.

Better bearings/cups if you have a spindle already are the Shimano Hollowtech - - they use an unbushed 19mm ID bearing.

Thanks for that. I made the purchase for the XR as it came in stock and the TEAM BB was out of stock at the time.

Good to know the information,

Thank you
Old 08-02-16, 03:00 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Very good. When you install it, I'll be curious to know what type of spindle interface it has.
Old 01-14-19, 11:22 AM
Wheelmotor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which Shimano BB cups fit the Howitzer spindle?
I bought Howitzer, on a recommendation, for my fat bike, because I am very hard on cranks and BBs.
Less than a year in, little use, and the bearings took a dump during a snow ride. I don't want to have to buy new constantly.
Thanks
Old 01-14-19, 12:35 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelmotor
Which Shimano BB cups fit the Howitzer spindle?
I bought Howitzer, on a recommendation, for my fat bike, because I am very hard on cranks and BBs.
Less than a year in, little use, and the bearings took a dump during a snow ride. I don't want to have to buy new constantly.
Thanks
My original information was evidently in reference to the old Truvativ ISIS BBs (and their compatibility with original Hollowtech BB cups)

I did some reading up and it appears the Howitzer XR uses the newer GXP (Giga X-Pipe) standard, which uses a stepped spindle: 24mm on the drive side; 22 mm on the non-drive-side. Bearing are thus 24x37 drive; 22x37 non-drive. Shimano Hollowtech II bearings are 24mm both sides, so won't help you. (Reference: https://wheelsmfg.com/crankset-tech)

You are in luck, though, because you can get an Enduro bearing kit for GXP BB - - Real World Cycling carries one: https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...OBKGXPCSB.html
Hope that helps.
Old 01-14-19, 07:07 PM
Wheelmotor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My original information was evidently in reference to the old Truvativ ISIS BBs (and their compatibility with original Hollowtech BB cups)

I did some reading up and it appears the Howitzer XR uses the newer GXP (Giga X-Pipe) standard, which uses a stepped spindle: 24mm on the drive side; 22 mm on the non-drive-side. Bearing are thus 24x37 drive; 22x37 non-drive. Shimano Hollowtech II bearings are 24mm both sides, so won't help you. (Reference:

You are in luck, though, because you can get an Enduro bearing kit for GXP BB - - Real World Cycling carries one:
Hope that helps.
Thanks.
I originally bought the Howitzer Team BB, since it was supposed to be better than XR. (Steel vs. aluminum cups)
Since the bearings are the weak link, I guess it didn't matter which.

I'll confirm spindle diameters on each side with calipers before I pull the trigger.
My fatty is out of commission until I get new cups or bearings, so I have to try to float my 240 lbs on the 27.5+ while we have some snow.
Old 01-20-19, 09:21 PM
Wheelmotor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pulled everything today.
LH bearing basically fell apart.
Cup was chewed up, so no putting in better bearings
Spindle diameter measured 21 mm both sides