Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your jerseys

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 01:14 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts

My Montrose Cycle Club jerseys. All except the middle one are made by Lambertini. I can still squeeze into the first two, but one of these days I'm going to bust a seam, so I reserve them for "special days."

1979 National 25 Mile Time Trial Championships, Nishiki ONP.

2016 Eroica California, Nishiki Professional.
Old 01-29-24, 03:42 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts

It occurred to me I have never worn it. I should sell
Old 01-29-24, 04:19 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
Since we're showing un-official jerseys as well, here's a Gimondi tribute jersey I've had since I was in my teens I think. Sadly, it's has needed darning a few times.

Definitely a keeper.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 01-29-24, 06:24 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
Not a jersey, but how about a Colnago rain jacket? It folds into it's own pocket (see pic 2). Has a hood that rolls up and zippers into the collar. And that green thing under the right arm is a butt shield. It rolls out and attaches to the back with velcro. As you can see by the wrinkles, it's been folded into it's pocket for years. I had this since the early '80s.

Likes For gearbasher:
Old 01-29-24, 07:52 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Like the gym post above and here is part of my garage bike shop showing a couple fondo jerseys that I like because of the Colnago and Derosa sponsors. I now have a few more banners and jerseys added to the garage displays.

Likes For joesch:
Old 01-29-24, 08:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock

My Montrose Cycle Club jerseys. All except the middle one are made by Lambertini. I can still squeeze into the first two, but one of these days I'm going to bust a seam, so I reserve them for "special days."

1979 National 25 Mile Time Trial Championships, Nishiki ONP.

2016 Eroica California, Nishiki Professional.
You need to "block" these, carefully, hand wash in hot, blot dry with a couple oh big good towels, carefully, then stretch and spread out on more dry towels, very carefully.

You want to end up with them spread out and stuck to the towel so they dry in the stretched, spread out state so they hold the bigger shape.

It used to be a regular part of laundry service, days gone by.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-30-24, 06:07 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Steve,

As I remember it, Levi's went Pinarello in 1986. TI licensed the USA Raleigh brand to Huffy in 1982, based near me and who I rode for. We got Raleigh 531 and 753 frames (red and black) that I think were made in Japan and our jerseys and shorts were branded Huffy/Raleigh. In 1987 the license for USA Raleigh brand to Huffy expired and our team kits and licenses no longer said "Raleigh". Also in 1987, TI sold USA Raleigh to Derby International Corporation and I'm not really sure when that ended or who bought Derby down the line. This is me in 1987 in a crit race on a black Cannondale. The Raleigh name on the shorts leg was gone and we were free to ride any frame we wanted as we were DCC/Huffy then.

When we first started the bike patrol at work, we used Raleigh Technium MTBs that were quite fragile, I broke three of them, one catastrophically, and I wasn't the only one to do so. The Technium frames would usually come unglued at the downtube/headtube lug and made a squeaking sound before failing. Without warning, one of them sheared the top tube and down tube on me; that's the fastest I've ever hit the deck on a bike in my life. I got hurt pretty bad and was off for probably less time than I should have. Derby was fast about replacing the broken frames and wanted them ASAP. Probably for fear of lawasuits, which never happened for me or anyone else on the patrol. The third photo is of the bike that really hurt me. The chief had me replace all the Raleighs with steel Specialized Stumpjumpers immediately.

There was one other big pro team that had a clothing sponsor, Carrera Jeans, who Stephan Roche and Claudio Chiappucci rode for. For at least one year, their shorts looked like blue jeans. Sorry for the thread drift.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
the Levi's/Pinarello jersey caught my attention... mostly because of the Levi's/Raleigh team that existed in the mid(?) 80's. Did Levi's just switch from Raleigh to Pinarello, or was there some other complexity in how things evolved? It always seemed odd to have a manufacturer of "normal" clothing sponsor bike teams, but it's no stranger than a lot of sponsorships.
... and there used to be some bike shorts that had been colored to look like jeans, so perhaps there was more connection that might be obvious?

In any case, this is a good excuse to show the Levi's/Raleigh/SRC jersey that I've got. It's one of the early lycra-ish jerseys, and the material is quite heavy and somewhat rubbery.
It's a good looking jersey, but I've always been surprised that the team logo isn't printed on the back. I've wondered if my jersey was a printing flaw, but a magazine article (below) shows a similar Raleigh jersey.

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by nomadmax; 01-31-24 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-30-24, 02:35 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Steve,

As I remember it, Levi's went Pinarello in 1986. TI licensed the USA Raleigh brand to Huffy in 1982, based near me and who I rode for. We got Raleigh 531 and 753 frames (red and black) that I think were made in Japan and our jerseys and shorts were branded Huffy/Raleigh. In 1987 the license for USA Raleigh brand to Huffy expired and our team kits and licenses no longer said "Raleigh". Also in 1987, TI sold USA Raleigh to Derby International Corporation and I'm not really sure when that ended or who bought Derby down the line. This is me in 1987 in a crit race on a black Cannondale. The Raleigh name on the shorts leg was gone and we were free to ride any frame we wanted as we were DCC/Huffy then.

first, cool photo!
second... it's easy to forget how tumultuous those years were for the Raleigh brand, at least here in the USA. I guess the end of the bike boom years were hard to adapt to? Or did they just miss the mountain bike trend? And who would have guessed that the Huffy name would end up on some of the best bikes? It was a strange, unsettling period!

Originally Posted by nomadmax
When we first started the bike patrol at work, we used Raleigh Technium MTBs that were quite fragile, I broke three of them, one catastrophically, and I wasn't the only one to do so. The Technium frames would usually come unglued at the downtube/headtube lug and made a squeaking sound before failing. Without warning, one of them sheared the top tube and down tube on me; that's the fastest I've ever hit the deck on a bike in my life. I got hurt pretty bad and was off for probably less time than I should have. Derby was fast about replacing the broken frames and wanted them ASAP. Probably for fear of lawasuits, which never happened for me or anyone else on the patrol. The third photo is of the bike that really hurt me. The chief had me replace the all Raleighs with steel Specialized Stumpjumpers immediately.

There was one other big pro team that had a clothing sponsor, Carrera Jeans, who Stephan Roche and Claudio Chiappucci rode for. For at least one year, their shorts looked like blue jeans. Sorry for the thread drift.
Boy, was that just another step on Raleigh's path to the bottom? It does seem that some new technology is developed and debugged, and then adopted by manufacturers who figure that they don't really have to be that careful with it. I could make comparisons to stuff like lithium batteries, but that's a bit off topic

Ah yes... the Carrera jeans! Those were the faux denim shorts that I was thinking of. One of the local guys was wearing them for many years afterwards, and I just couldn't stand looking at them. Fashion takes some strange turns but seems to return to black shorts, and I am grateful.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-30-24, 03:50 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
My 1972 Velo Club Tamalpais jersey accompanied Joe Breeze's "Breezer #1" to the Smithsonian.

Here I am in 1974 with other club members Joe Breeze, Otis Guy and Victor Pritzker, after our club took first and third in a tandem event.

Old 01-30-24, 06:31 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
They also had Guido Bontempi and Marco Pantani.

One of my guilty pleasures: watching youtube of grand tours and monuments from to late 80s, 90s, and late 70s.
Old 01-30-24, 08:15 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I have multiple drawers full of jerseys, so many I am afraid to count. If I have fewer than 40 I'd be surprised. It's also embarrassing how few of them actually get worn. I have probably a dozen or more that I have not worn in decades. Maybe four or five I have never worn. Many that I have only worn once or twice. It's really kind of stupid.

Because of where I live, my merino wool jerseys get the most wear (that's me in the Salvarani jersey in post #14 with Matt and Joe). The non-wool ones mostly come out in summertime/hot weather, and then I prefer the long-zipper ones. Otherwise, I'm in one, two or three layers of wool, depending on the temperature.

I have three of the ones pictured already: a wool red Cinelli, a green wool Weil's/Groene Leeuw, and a classic non-wool Raleigh. Among my other wool ones are a Peugeot, a Bianchi/Campagnolo, a Brooklyn, a repro 1972 TdF Molteni maillot janue, and a Molteni. In the non-wool pile is a La Vie Claire, a Renault-Elf, an RG Hamburg (German amateur team that an exchange student we hosted belonged to), and an SCIC. These are by no means all that I have. As I said, it's really kind of stupid.
Old 01-30-24, 08:29 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
My 1972 Velo Club Tamalpais jersey accompanied Joe Breeze's "Breezer #1" to the Smithsonian.
That is simply too cool for words.

Originally Posted by Repack Rider
Here I am in 1974 with other club members Joe Breeze, Otis Guy and Victor Pritzker, after our club took first and third in a tandem event.

And lurking in the photo behind you Paramount is the (in)famous Guy-Breeze Eisentraut tandem with which they terrorized the Davis Double Century in the 1970s. They whizzed by me one year like I was standing still (compared to them, I was), they cut in front of me with veeeeery little room to spare, and jumped like crazy to scrape off the leach singles on their wheel. Guy-Breeze took off crazy fast, a gaggle of singles were scrambling to get back on their wheel, and I was looking for a place to change my shorts. They had started at least 2 hours after I had and this happened before lunch. I'm guessing I was not the only one they used for barnacle-scraping as they seemed very practiced at the move; the stoker (Breeze, I believe), looked back over his right shoulder, yelled "now" or some such as soon as their rear wheel had cleared my front wheel by what seemed to me to be about a millimeter, and were instantly out of the saddle and sprinting like nobody's business. Very impressive (and scary) to witness.
Old 01-31-24, 01:27 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Lots of great Jerseys here . Great to see the Classics displayed.
Old 01-31-24, 01:59 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts

I almost forgot about this old Raleigh jersey
I have two of these team Raleigh jersey's . They are pretty old but still in great shape and one of them has a tag down on the bottom inner seam that has who it was made for , someone in Zurich!
Old 02-01-24, 07:44 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 37 Posts
I'm a collector 6-Day jerseys but this old jersey has been with me for about 35 years or longer. I don't know anything about it except that it's too small for me so it sits at the bottom of the drawer!

Likes For 1oldtrackie:
Old 02-01-24, 09:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Here's another one. This one's a track jersey -- no pockets -- and so doesn't get worn much.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-01-24, 10:26 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
To go with my Team Panasonic Merckx I've got a rare Eddy Merckx branded Team Panasoc jersey.from.the 1 year they sponsored the team.

I've got a pink Tommasini bike so have this wool jersey for that bike.

I've got a Denti bike so roll around on that in my WC striped Denti jersey.

For my 1989 Team ADR Bottecchia I'e got 2 Mario Schifano designed jerseys he did for the 1989 Tour de France, a yellow one and this KOM one, with the red dots featuring famous climbs from the tour. I'm still on the look out.for Mario's green jersey version.

And not bike manufacturer branded, but tubing and component branding I have this nice.old.Reynolds 753 Jersey.

This Vittoria tubular jersey with a Bianch crest. Idon't own a Bisnchi....to date anyway

Also got this cool old Cinelli wool.jersey.

I've got this which is apparently a West Germany track cycling top made of viscose, it proper.figure hugging and would.be great for.showing off a 6 pack, but after not.much riding since Xmas the only one of them I've got is in the fridge.

And I'm still.on the hunt for a nice wool Eddy Merckx jersey in XL, a Somec wool jersey in XL for.my.Somec bike, and I.own a Simoncini bike.but have never seen any old wool Simoncini jerseys but would like one of them too if they exist.

Last edited by botty kayer; 02-01-24 at 10:30 AM.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 02-01-24, 04:41 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
1980’s Jerseys

Likes For semroc:
Old 02-02-24, 07:21 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Not really classic but since this year is

Countdown to RAGBRAI LI https://ragbrai.com/

The Great Six-Day Bicycle Ride (1973) is a classic ride in this respect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAGBRAI

Here is my Ragbrau XXXII jersey

Old 02-02-24, 10:31 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Posted on a tshirt thread but these were my jerseys circa 1985-1990 (hats and gloves too). All owned since new (had a Montare as well as this Comp at the time too, it was my tourer but sold off long ago):

Likes For Markeologist:
Old 02-02-24, 11:48 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
One more.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 02-02-24, 02:27 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
And I'm still.on the hunt for a nice wool Eddy Merckx jersey in XL, a Somec wool jersey in XL for.my.Somec bike, and I.own a Simoncini bike.but have never seen any old wool Simoncini jerseys but would like one of them too if they exist.
They’ve been mentioned already but I’d recommend New Zealand brand Soigneur (soigneur.co.nz) who produce excellent merino wool replica and tribute jerseys as well as customs to order. Very reasonably priced given their quality. I have no affiliation beyond owning a Legnano jersey of theirs.
Old 02-03-24, 03:07 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by seagrade
They’ve been mentioned already but I’d recommend New Zealand brand Soigneur (soigneur.co.nz) who produce excellent merino wool replica and tribute jerseys as well as customs to order. Very reasonably priced given their quality. I have no affiliation beyond owning a Legnano jersey of theirs.
Ah OK thanks for this I will investigate. And ordering a few will make shipping from.NZ to UK more worthwhile
Old 02-03-24, 04:35 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Still one of my favorites and still fits I'm proud to say

Old 02-03-24, 01:50 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Searched unsuccessfully for a Ritchey wool jersey for years so I finally just had one made.

Last edited by Markeologist; 02-03-24 at 02:41 PM.
Likes For Markeologist:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.