Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Enduro/All Mountain vs Downhill

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 12:43 PM
namemcnameface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there I am picking up a new bike and I was wondering what I should get, a DH or Enduro. I mainly ride lift serviced trails, with occasional local more enduro style trail riding, I could get the Norco Aurum which I actually liked pedalling and The Transistion Patrol, I know the aurum is better for true DH, but the Patrol is probably better for jump laps and definitely better for pedaling, what bike type would be better?
Old 08-27-17, 01:43 PM
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.

Bikes: 2003 norco fluid 3.0, 2016 Intense Tracer 275C Expert

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are both such different bikes intended for different types of riding. Pick whichever one suits your needs best. Do your needs dictate you get a true full on DH sled, or do you want that one bike to do it all?
Old 08-28-17, 09:08 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Current Enduro bikes are close to what DH was not that long ago...
Old 08-28-17, 09:20 AM
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.

Bikes: 2003 norco fluid 3.0, 2016 Intense Tracer 275C Expert

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s
Current Enduro bikes are close to what DH was not that long ago...
In terms of travel and downhill capability, sure, they're pretty damn close. Point the rig uphill though and the two bikes differ quite a bit.
Old 08-28-17, 11:36 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rasheed
In terms of travel and downhill capability, sure, they're pretty damn close. Point the rig uphill though and the two bikes differ quite a bit.
Right, current enduro bike down hills pretty good, but a current DH bike not so good up hills.
Old 08-28-17, 02:52 PM
FrozenK

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to do anything other than lift-assisted riding then get the Patrol. The Norco is a single-purpose downhill rig. It will be useless for anything other than downhill runs at the bike park.

The Patrol will not be as capable for downhill runs at the bike park, but it will be usable outside the chairlift.
Old 08-29-17, 09:43 AM
hig4s

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chemtrailsnifer
A true DH bike, of any vintage, does not climb well.

Have you ever seen, let alone ridden, a DH bike?

One, and it made me go too fast, eventually I would have hurt myself.
Old 08-29-17, 05:45 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Depends on what percentage you do of either. if you mostly ride park, you will not be happy with a long-travel trailbike, unless you intend on sticking to the blue flow trails all the time. Yes, enduro mounts are capable descenders but they still aren't even mini-DHs.

Iff you find yourself wanting to ride trails outside the park more than, say, 25% of the time, get the Patrol or you're going to be doing a lot of pushing.
Old 08-30-17, 10:15 AM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I ride an Enduro bike right now and I take it to the bike park. My Process 153 is surprisingly capable. The Patrol in this case I have heard is awesome. If you were going to have one bike, I would buy the one that does it all first. Then later buy the full DH rig. Riding the Patrol on tough trails will help make you a better rider for when you get a big soft couch. For anther option, have you looked at the Slayer? Geoff Gulevich rides that beast anywhere and everywhere.
Old 08-30-17, 11:00 AM
hig4s

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by namemcnameface
Hey there I am picking up a new bike and I was wondering what I should get, a DH or Enduro. I mainly ride lift serviced trails, with occasional local more enduro style trail riding, I could get the Norco Aurum which I actually liked pedalling and The Transistion Patrol, I know the aurum is better for true DH, but the Patrol is probably better for jump laps and definitely better for pedaling, what bike type would be better?

What is your price point. If you were looking new for $5k or so,, you might think demo and get one of each. Envelo has several one season demo bikes for sale. That first DH looks very sweet. He said they were one season demos, never raced. https://www.pinkbike.com/u/envelo/buysell/