Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Carry pepper spray

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Carry pepper spray

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 09:26 AM
jloco

Bikes: Commuter, triathlon bike, full suspension bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Carry pepper spray

https://www.abc4.com/news/wasatch-front/a-road-rage-incident-in-american-fork-left-a-cyclist-shaken-its-part-of-a-bigger-issue-of-safety-on-utah-roads/

Yet another road rage incident that could have resulted in the cyclist getting seriously injured. When the driver gets out of the vehicle to confront the rider after intentionally running them off the road, I am thinking pepper spray is warranted.

If someone is getting out of their truck to confront me, I am viewing that as an act of aggression.

I am now going to now carry pepper spray for these situations.

Last edited by jloco; 02-25-24 at 09:31 AM.
Likes For jloco:
Old 02-25-24, 09:45 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
"A hostile person lives in a hostile world.
A loving person lives in a loving world,
Everyone you meet is your mirror," -Ken Keyes
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-25-24, 09:56 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Bowman called 911. According to records from American Fork police, the responding officer found no one was injured and no evidence that the bicycle and truck collided.

Per the report, the driver, identified as a 55-year-old American Fork man, got into a heated argument with the Bowman and admitted to shoving him.

The officer cited the driver for disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor. Court records show the driver paid a $160 fine.

Bowman questions why the driver wasn’t charged with assault. He described the experience as “terrifying,” especially considering the difference between a road bike and a “massive lifted truck.”
I'm surprised the police did anything, let alone issued a citation. My guess as to why the motorist wasn't charged with assault was because the incident was one guy's word against another, and without better evidence an assault charge wouldn't stick. This is the point where I play my broken record and stress the importance of riding with a helmet camera.

If you are going to carry pepper spray, go with the gel instead (if it's legal to buy in your location). The atomized spray can blow back depending on the wind direction.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 02-25-24, 10:47 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Just riding away in a different direction seems way less fuss than potentially escalating to that level or beyond. The above poster is correct - even blowback from pepper spray is no fun sometimes.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-25-24, 12:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I noticed they have a bill to require planning for bicycle safety when planning for transportation infrastructure. However the better thing IMO, might be educating the drivers that bicycles are allowed on roads and that they need to be respected as any other vehicle is. In some areas, even law enforcement needs such education.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-25-24, 12:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts

Pepper Spray... Ha...

Around here thats a way to really piss someone off...

Just Saying...

Old 02-25-24, 01:54 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Just riding away in a different direction seems way less fuss than potentially escalating to that level or beyond. The above poster is correct - even blowback from pepper spray is no fun sometimes.
Way less fuss really! The timing of this particular situation negate's your wishful thinking. Things like fight or flight and sensory deprivation can take over. The man never dismounted his bicycle. If possible you get off of your bicycle and stand upright with one hand on the seat and the other grasping the handlebar. I have watched YouTube videos and seen people who are mounted on the bicycle thrown to the ground at the delight of the aggressor. In the videos were the bicyclist dismounts the bicycle and stands upright not so much. I have seen two videos were the motorist slams on the brakes coming to a stop then gets out of the truck and rips the bicycle from the downed bicyclist and throws the bicycle into the bed of the truck and drives away. Chemical sprays are more effective on animals because they aren't aware of the danger. The only chemical spray I carry is the most effective and long distance one. Bear spray 14oz can with the sleeve that fits a water bottle cage.

I read the story and it was quite apparent to me that the motorist was angry before he encountered the bicyclist. The bicyclist escalated the situation with the Hawaiian peace sign. I won't escalate any situation unless they make it necessary.
Old 02-25-24, 01:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Pepper Spray... Ha...

Around here thats a way to really piss someone off...

Just Saying...

Just like responding with an upraised middle finger to a stranger who honked the vehicle horn.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-25-24, 02:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
a gopro or similar would be a nice add-on with the pep gel...

If only cyclists received the legal support as other peds (walkers & runners) . We cyclists get the shortened chain level of respect. as if the 'system' wants us all gone.
Old 02-25-24, 03:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I noticed they have a bill to require planning for bicycle safety when planning for transportation infrastructure. However the better thing IMO, might be educating the drivers that bicycles are allowed on roads and that they need to be respected as any other vehicle is. In some areas, even law enforcement needs such education.
I have always thought that a strongly worded flyer included with your registration renewal explaining PA’s 4’ passing law couldn’t hurt and might even help.

Several years ago, the sheriff of the wealthiest county in the state and home to a very large club didn’t know about the law, which has been on the books since 2012. His office then made up hundreds of lawn signs to be placed along popular cycling roads.
Old 02-26-24, 12:01 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Can't wait to hear how the escallation strategy works out.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-26-24, 01:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Reminds me of the dialogue in West Side Story: rocks, belts, pipes, cans, bricks, bats, clubs, chains, bottles, knives, guns.
Old 02-26-24, 03:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Go *** or run home

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Reminds me of the dialogue in West Side Story: rocks, belts, pipes, cans, bricks, bats, clubs, chains, bottles, knives, ****.
Don't quite know where Pepper Spray slots in with the rest of all that, but it seems to me that if quite a large chunk of the people that are armed on America's roads have already made **** their weapon of popular choice ... I don't know ... Pepper Spray ... eef ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-26-24, 05:16 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Don't quite know where Pepper Spray slots in with the rest of all that, but it seems to me that if quite a large chunk of the people that are armed on America's roads have already made **** their weapon of popular choice ... I don't know ... Pepper Spray ... eef ...
Yeah, my point was that carrying pepper spray is not the end all of escalation and someone who carries it should keep in mind that the driver might be packing something a bit stronger.
Old 02-26-24, 05:57 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Yeah, my point was that carrying pepper spray is not the end all of escalation and someone who carries it should keep in mind that the driver might be packing something a bit stronger.
Carolina reaper spray?
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 02-26-24, 05:59 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
He never should have escalated it by flipping the driver off. He owns a piece of this.

Shoulda ignored the horn and kept focused on completing his lane take as quickly as possible and there’s likely no event or anything to report here.

At that moment cycling was serious business and he let himself get sucked into a stupid tough guy game.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 02-26-24, 06:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
If you get a horn or people yelling, just disarm them completely and say "thank you I love you" or "thank you have a great day" or something silly like that. What is does it takes away the anger and they are confused. They want your anger if you don't give it to them you win and they are the losers. If someone is getting out of their car or truck they are potentially armed and dangerous and pepper spray is probably not going to help necessarily.

To quote myself in the another thread:
If you are planning on using something like OC/Pepper spray make sure you know how to use it well as well as under stress. Beyond that it is pretty useless, as you could easily do more harm to yourself than any good towards the human you think you are stopping. However keep in mind in some of those situations where you think pepper spray might be the right use case could end up with a heavy escalation with someone who has actual firearms and that can be quite deadly. The best method is to deescalate or exfil from the area quickly.
Old 02-26-24, 08:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
in the event someone honks at you, just lean back a little & rub your nips while saying you love them. Works not just during cycling. Just be sure it's directed at the offending driver.
Old 02-26-24, 08:17 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Almost everyone I know carries today. I just assume that everyone out there is packing something and unless you're trained or prepared to deal with that, simply smile and try to keep moving (preferably away from the idiot)
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 02-27-24, 01:38 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Yeah my takeaway was, don't antagonize a pissed-off driver. Just keep doing what you're doing, and when you get around the snow and out of his way he'll stop honking and roar past you, and you both go about your day.
Old 02-27-24, 12:01 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Thanks to the poor role models with our politicians it is now considered OK to attack anyone for any reason by any means. Many immature (and often mentally unstable) men and women are now carrying handguns on a regular basis and this should be the greater worry.

With the ongoing transfer of wealth from the working class to the elites where 1% now have more than half the wealth, people are being worn down and not sure as to how to fight back. That frustration often feeds the anger that when complimented with a motor vehicle or a firearm results in the deaths of their fellow workers and never the elites that are the root cause of their troubles.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 02-27-24, 12:31 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
[QUOTEThanks to the poor role models with our politicians it is now considered OK to attack anyone for any reason by any means. Many immature (and often mentally unstable) men and women are now carrying handguns on a regular basis and this should be the greater worry.

With the ongoing transfer of wealth from the working class to the elites where 1% now have more than half the wealth, people are being worn down and not sure as to how to fight back. That frustration often feeds the anger that when complimented with a motor vehicle or a firearm results in the deaths of their fellow workers and never the elites that are the root cause of their troubles.][/QUOTE]

I was in the military in the 1970s and 80s and people already felt the same way and attacked each other, - the firearms. I usd the front wheel of my road bike or the whole bike to defend myself and breakup fights in the barracks.
Old 02-28-24, 05:32 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Thanks to the poor role models with our politicians it is now considered OK to attack anyone for any reason by any means. Many immature (and often mentally unstable) men and women are now carrying handguns on a regular basis and this should be the greater worry.

With the ongoing transfer of wealth from the working class to the elites where 1% now have more than half the wealth, people are being worn down and not sure as to how to fight back. That frustration often feeds the anger that when complimented with a motor vehicle or a firearm results in the deaths of their fellow workers and never the elites that are the root cause of their troubles.
Cars (I watched a guy speeding along a pavement on a bike in the middle of a town past shop doors, going full pelt) Vehicles should be seen as dangerous as guns (not arguing for guns, here in the UK we don’t have the right to bear arms, jeez most of the people here I would not trust with a catapult let alone an assault rifle, I guess in the US everyone is more balanced…).

From a crap web page called How the car you drive impacts your image.

Last, but certainly not least, there’s a correlation between a cool car and a cool attitude. If you have a car that you’re excited to drive every day, due to its unmistakable style and luxury, you will exude confidence and capability. Cars can influence your character and identity in a positive way, especially if you visit pre-owned luxury car dealers to find a vehicle that’s your perfect match”.

So the opposite must be true. I have seen a rise in old drivers speeding around, acting as stupidly as an 18yo new driver. I believe it is age compensation, the car makes them augmented and they feel able to compete with a younger person, they do not want to get old, but unfortunately the reflex times are slower.

I agree re the politicians, the rhetoric is shocking (often illegal) and people (at least in the UK in my experience) are getting more aggressive over smaller issues.

The distribution of wealth and resources is only going to get more polarised as the human population grows and global warming bites. More people=less resources=more aggression.

Marx predicted that capitalism would lead to “poverty in the midst of plenty,” a scenario that’s depressingly familiar today and that contemporary society is characterized by a sense of alienation among workers distanced from the output of their labor, and the fetishization of commodities. He also predicted that competition among capitalists would grow so fierce that, eventually, most capitalists would go bankrupt, leaving only a handful of monopolists controlling nearly all production.

Yes I am a socialist, (actually a “Melon”, green on the outside and red inside, lol) does it have all the answers and are people completely ready for it? No, but it is important to recognise neither does a capitalist system. BTW, Don’t confuse socialism with Russia it is not the same.

It does not bode well for a slow human powered device on a road full of angry, self interested with a bad attitude, slow reflexed, augmented in mini tanks drivers.
Old 02-28-24, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
So now we have someone wanted to pepper spray cars because they are deadly? <grin>
Old 02-28-24, 10:50 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
He never should have escalated it by flipping the driver off. He owns a piece of this.

Shoulda ignored the horn and kept focused on completing his lane take as quickly as possible and there’s likely no event or anything to report here.

At that moment cycling was serious business and he let himself get sucked into a stupid tough guy game.
agree - dumb move

there is one type of motorist worse than the truck driver in this incident: the motorist that does not see the cyclist - distracted or under the influence or whatever - and hits the cyclist

this is one good reason a cyclist should not flip off an impatient / aggressive driver - the driver may be a jerk but at least they saw you and did not run you over

( motorists that beeps at you can actually be a good thing )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.