Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride with bone conduction headphones?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 04-12-18, 10:30 AM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts

Here is a link if you're not sure what I'm talking about.
Just wondering about thoughts on safety.

https://aftershokz.com/collections/w...SAAEgIJTfD_BwE
Old 04-12-18, 10:51 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I have been using these for a few years. Just upgraded to the "Air" version. I don't use these for group rides. Only during solo night/ early morning rides. No problem with safety issues. sounds like have a speaker in the room with me. I can hear traffic and people coming up from behind.
Old 04-13-18, 05:06 AM
Ai_Hia

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 disc 2018

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a cheaper brand for a while now. Even with the music cranked up, my ears are open and I can still hear everything around me that matters, cars, bells, people, etc. The only safe kind of 'headphones' to use that I know of, besides none.
Old 04-13-18, 08:49 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You'll know right away whether you like them or not-- the 2 hours I rode with the Aftershokz were an exceptionally long two hours. I found them to be remarkably uncomfortable and returned them to the place of purchase less than 24 hours after buying them. Obviously, YMMV. Also, an $8 pair of JVC Gumy earbuds sound significantly better and don't block out a whole lot more road noise, really.
Old 04-13-18, 12:11 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Ive been riding with them for a couple of years. I have the "air" version now and it works fine. I typically, though, use a single Apple AirPod in my right ear.

I can see where the Aftershokz could be uncomfortable for some (just like any headset). They do provide good situational awareness though and are helmet compatible.

J.
Old 04-14-18, 04:00 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I ride with a set of Trekz Titaniumz (Aftershokz). They are very comfortable and fit well with my helmet and Oakley Flak 2.0 sunglases. I've ridden in excess of 3 hours with no fatigue or other issues at all.

The fidelity is decent enough - not as much low-end as good quality 'buds but pretty clean and clear. The bluetooth connection is very convenient and I can answer calls if I choose to (which is rarely when I'm on the bike) - it just pauses the music automatically when a call arrives and restarts when I hang up. The battery life is ok - I charge them after 3 rides typically.

I have full awareness of external sounds around me and can carry on conversations with the music at pretty decent volume. No way to do that with ear buds - plus buds are very uncomfortable on mountain trails or gravel - lots of vibration noise. I use the Trekz phones on gravel and trail rides every week and they sound great. I don't ride my road bikes as much as I used to but when I do, I use my Trekz...

Last edited by dbf909; 04-23-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 07:49 AM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Never used them. I have $10 Panasonic earbuds and I only put one in my right ear and don't turn up the volume very high. My left ear hears well enough for traffic and whatever else. In 12 years of riding though, I just started doing this last year. Prior to that I never once listened to anything from any kind of headphones while riding.
Old 04-23-18, 06:29 AM
washed up

Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Rode this weekend with them and was surprised at how well I can still hear traffic. I can see how they may get uncomfortable for a long ride with that constant pressure on your temple. For a couple hour ride then seem just fine.