Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Southern Ohio - Trek 990

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Southern Ohio - Trek 990

Old 08-15-19, 12:24 AM
MrArrow
Long Time Lurker

Bikes: 1990 Trek 990 among some BSO's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Southern Ohio - Trek 990

Hello All,

I've been lurking here via google search for some time now so I figured it is time for an introduction. My name is Gregg and I'm from a small town just south of Dayton, OH (Which is the small city just north of Cincinnati if you still have no idea). My experience with cycling is super limited. I have lived my entire life between Kettering and Xenia, Ohio on a major set of bike routes and after 27 years have just started to join the game.

My real passions come from my home. I live with my family next to a 600+ acre nature reserve with some of the best running trails around. In pursuit of running I have discovered a passion for bikes and a particular (and evolving) riding style. I have recently had some major life changing events and I've been bonding with my daughter (5 years old) over bicycles, art, and adventures.

So that brings us to the "zip tie bike".

As all perpetual lurkers I spent hours reading the forums trying to pick a bike that was perfect. In the end I realized that I'm more likely to ride often if I can afford it, make it a part of my daily life, and leave room to grow. So I decided to look at "Vintage" bikes. I ended up completely taken by 80's bikes by way of univega, trek, gary fisher, klein, ect. So I started researching.

After several attempts to purchase other bikes I kept finding myself standing in front of Trek model 7xx, 8xx, and 9xx. The search ensued for a nice example and for just $200 I found what I thought was a pristine Trek 990. Mind you, the Trek 990 was black with white splatter and white on ivory logo's. It was all stock with an added rear rack, perfect for my bikepacking adventures in the near future.

When I arrived I found one side of the rack held on by a zip tie. The bike was caked in dirt and the components had never been gone through.... at least not recently. But the bike fit and due to my major life changing events that landed me injured and as a stay at home dad I could use the extra cash. So I paid significantly less than $200 and took home a 1990 Trek 990.

The purpose of the bike will be as a daily commuter, a fitness bike, and a pack mule for a 30 mile road and gravel trip to Ohio's deepest lake for a weekend stay.

Thank you for having me and if you want to see photos, laugh at the new guy, hear about adventures in the nature reserve/around the campground, or picking/flipping adventures keep an eye out for a thread titled "The Zip Tie Bike".
Old 08-15-19, 08:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.
Old 08-16-19, 06:37 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Welcome!
Old 08-17-19, 10:45 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Wow nice intro!! Welcome to Bike Forums!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-18-19, 05:53 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, I'm from Germantown as well.
Old 08-18-19, 05:54 AM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Welcome! I am in central Kentucky so I guess we are sort of neighbors! I need to get up to the Little Miami trail sometime soon. Check out the Classic and Vintage forum. There are many knowledgeable sages on that site who will help you get that 990 sorted. There is also a classic and vintage sales page where you can pick up bits and pieces for decent prices from nice people. Get your 10 posts in so you can get some pics up. Have fun with the bike!
Old 08-18-19, 05:06 PM
MrArrow
Long Time Lurker

Bikes: 1990 Trek 990 among some BSO's

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Welcome to Bike Forums, I'm from Germantown as well.
I lived off Heinke in Miamisburg for several years. I know a bunch of people from Germantown. Love that area. Tried to buy a house there before I moved. I ended up in Bellbrook.... Where I grew up initially anyways. Couldn't be happier with the area.

Still miss the 'burg... mostly the hamburger wagon and TJ Chumps.
Likes For MrArrow:
Old 08-24-19, 04:25 PM
strossos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome! I've been up and down the Little Miami bike trail many times that happens to go right through Xenia. Nice place to ride. Enjoy your adventures!