Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New to bike repair- brake caliper selection question.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 04:26 PM
jumpin_jumpin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

xposting this to a few forums as I truly don't know where to start!

Link to current setup **JK can't post links yet**

I come from a car repair background and am trying to learn more about bikes. I have a bianchi I use to commute, and an ol' fuji single speed I'm using as a learner.

Just toyed around on the brakes a minute and one part broke (old). Yay! New parts! But how do I know which calipers to get? The options are overwhelming and endless.

I tried to link to some options I'm seeing on dreaded amazon but I can't post links yet.
Old 09-02-19, 06:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Start here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakes.html
Old 09-02-19, 09:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by jumpin_jumpin

Link to current setup **JK can't post links yet**

I come from a car repair background and am trying to learn more about bikes. I have a bianchi I use to commute, and an ol' fuji single speed I'm using as a learner.

Just toyed around on the brakes a minute and one part broke (old). Yay! New parts! But how do I know which calipers to get? The options are overwhelming and endless.

I tried to link to some options I'm seeing on dreaded amazon but I can't post links yet.
...assuming you're just gonna go with calipers again, you mostly need to know the reach you need. Sometimes, if there are fenders or fatter tyres involved, you need to allow for clearance. For pure function these days, most people go with a dual pivot caliper. Unless you can come upon some special sale deal from another brand, Tektro dual pivot sidepulls are usually the most bang for your buck, and they come in a variety of reaches.

The only caveat is that they are all set up for a recessed brake nut, so if your bikes are old enough, you might either need to drill it ( which is to be avoided if you can help it...drilling out an older fork for the larger opening required for a recessed nut can often go wrong), or look for nutted brakes (the nut is exterior to the fork/rear brake bridge.)
Old 09-02-19, 09:23 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by jumpin_jumpin

You have 2 different bikes. Which one were you tinkering with? You may not be able to post links yet, but you can certainly write detailed descriptions of the bike you are having problems with. You toyed with the brakes and some unknown part broke. You claim to have a background in auto repair. If someone asked about an automotive problem with such vague information, how would you react?