Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Video: CF failure

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Video: CF failure

Old 09-20-19, 12:38 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Well, you definitely shouldn't ride a bike somebody is sabotaging. That's the take home message from this thread.
Really? I thought the message was STEEL IS BETT'AH.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 09-20-19, 01:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The thing that worries me about reel bikes is that Iron Man was turned to steel in the great magnetic field when he traveled time for the future of mankind, now the time is here for Iron Man to spread fear, vengeance from the grave; kills the people he once saved. Nobody wants him, they just turn their heads, nobody helps him, now he has his revenge.

Sure seems like a lot of potential to get caught in that great magnetic field on a steel bike and then killed by an angry superhero. That's just not a risk I'm willing to take.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-20-19, 01:15 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The thing that worries me about reel bikes is that Iron Man was turned to steel in the great magnetic field when he traveled time for the future of mankind, now the time is here for Iron Man to spread fear, vengeance from the grave; kills the people he once saved. Nobody wants him, they just turn their heads, nobody helps him, now he has his revenge.

Sure seems like a lot of potential to get caught in that great magnetic field on a steel bike and then killed by an angry superhero. That's just not a risk I'm willing to take.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-21-19, 09:46 PM
gurk700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I've done my share of weight weenie choices but there's I just refuse to f*ck with to save grams and one of them is steerer tube. If I have a bike that ships with those tiny single digit grams compression plugs, it goes to trash and gets replaced with something much more substantial (cover stem area AT LEAST).
Other than that, torque wrench. A quality one. Even if it's $150 it's still much cheaper than an ambulance ride or surgery.

*above is not a speculation about what happened to that pro rider. It could be a number of things and we'll never know. But it's a good reminder for us to do the minimal care to minimize risk.*
Old 09-22-19, 10:04 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Best outro of any song, ever (on the studio version).
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 09-23-19, 01:04 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
You can talk all day about design : what is better? The materials, again, what is better? or did you use a torque wrench? etc, but really: The question should be: when was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated? So you know its reading the proper ft. lbs. or Nm ?
( BTW: anyone know where the hell can I have my wrenchs calibrated in the greater NYC area? )

Old 09-24-19, 06:12 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by gurk700
I've done my share of weight weenie choices but there's I just refuse to f*ck with to save grams and one of them is steerer tube. If I have a bike that ships with those tiny single digit grams compression plugs, it goes to trash and gets replaced with something much more substantial (cover stem area AT LEAST).
Other than that, torque wrench. A quality one. Even if it's $150 it's still much cheaper than an ambulance ride or surgery.

*above is not a speculation about what happened to that pro rider. It could be a number of things and we'll never know. But it's a good reminder for us to do the minimal care to minimize risk.*
Why would you need a torque wrench if you have a compression plug that covers the whole stem from the inside? Crush that thing to at least 20-25nm so it doesn't move! lol
Old 09-24-19, 02:10 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
What bothers me about all of these carbon-steerer issues is that we are getting next to no data about which parts are causing these problems and which parts are preventing these problems.

Other than the inclusion (or not) of a generously-long and uniformly-supporting compression plug, how about the variability of how different stem mfgr's might be designing their stems so that the ears do or don't tend to dig into the steerer and thus initiate a failure that ultimately progresses circumferentially around the steerer?
And what of different fork mfgr's testing and redesigning their steer tubes until they show best resistance to assault from stem clamp compression?

The manufacturers of forks and stems have testing standards for their products, but we don't have access to knowing which companies are more conscientious with respect to their testing standards.

My answer to people who make comments on visible and material differences among product designs is that, in the end, it all comes down to testing and quality control, rather than on what material and dimensions are visible and known. But the whole matter is complicated by the combining of parts from different mfgr's, combinations which may not have been tested individually.
I'm thinking also that there are standards in place which most of us here know nothing about, but which may or may not be adequate depending on the standards of assembly.

All that said, I am a fan of Cervelo's glued-in alloy tube/sleeve into which a simple star-fangled nut can be inserted, provided that the sleeve is well-bonded into the steerer and that it extends from the end of the steerer down below the top haedset bearing. It's light, simple and seemingly more fool-proof than most of the other designs imo. But might it be as good to simply increase the steerer thickness over the same length to the tune of the same weight increase as any reinforcing sleeve (creating in effect a double-butted steerer)?
Old 09-26-19, 12:51 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by dddd
What bothers me about all of these carbon-steerer issues is that we are getting next to no data about which parts are causing these problems and which parts are preventing these problems.

Other than the inclusion (or not) of a generously-long and uniformly-supporting compression plug, how about the variability of how different stem mfgr's might be designing their stems so that the ears do or don't tend to dig into the steerer and thus initiate a failure that ultimately progresses circumferentially around the steerer?
And what of different fork mfgr's testing and redesigning their steer tubes until they show best resistance to assault from stem clamp compression?

The manufacturers of forks and stems have testing standards for their products, but we don't have access to knowing which companies are more conscientious with respect to their testing standards.

My answer to people who make comments on visible and material differences among product designs is that, in the end, it all comes down to testing and quality control, rather than on what material and dimensions are visible and known. But the whole matter is complicated by the combining of parts from different mfgr's, combinations which may not have been tested individually.
I'm thinking also that there are standards in place which most of us here know nothing about, but which may or may not be adequate depending on the standards of assembly.

All that said, I am a fan of Cervelo's glued-in alloy tube/sleeve into which a simple star-fangled nut can be inserted, provided that the sleeve is well-bonded into the steerer and that it extends from the end of the steerer down below the top haedset bearing. It's light, simple and seemingly more fool-proof than most of the other designs imo. But might it be as good to simply increase the steerer thickness over the same length to the tune of the same weight increase as any reinforcing sleeve (creating in effect a double-butted steerer)?
As I said a few pages ago in this thread, I trust the manufacturer. Their engineers/designers know what they're doing. If the 5000$ bike you buy is equipped with a compression plug, it's because that specific plug is meant to endure the stress & keep the integrity of the material (under normal usage of course). I think people are simply overthinking this.

Did anyone here ever had a CF fork tube failed under their hands while riding? If so, are they 100% sure that the stem bolts were tighten to the proper specs & there was no other damage? So many factors to consider prior to jumping to a conclusion.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-26-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-26-19, 07:08 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
This is how mass hysteria begins.
Old 09-27-19, 04:22 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
This is how mass hysteria begins.
I'm already on the bandwagon... 🙄.

Although it makes me feel better that in the video, the steering tube didn't fail immediately, it gave the rider time to slow down and avoid a crash.

He probably thought he could make it across the finish line before it failed and said "f**k it" though.
Old 09-27-19, 06:42 AM
eduskator

You want to win a race? Tighten the other contestant's stem bolts with an impact driver. There ya go!