Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

No more SatRDay?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

No more SatRDay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 04:48 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
No more SatRDay?

Another BROL exclusive. Can't say I'm surprised, esp. when you can build one like Seasame's for thousands less:

No More SRD
Bryan | 10 May, 2007 22:40
Getting word that Bike Friday has officially discontinued the Sat'R'Day folding recumbent. Thankfully there are new alternatives on the way from Challenge and ICE.

Last edited by spambait11; 05-10-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-10-07, 10:05 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Someone on this forum made a folding bike recumbent using the CruzBike components. A much better and far less expensive alternative to the $2K Sat'R'Day. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but it's way over priced. I doubt they sold a dozen bikes.
Old 05-10-07, 11:05 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recognition!

My Downtube/Cruzbike conversion cost under $1,000, not counting the upgraded Velocity wheels. Since then, there have been several other people who have utilized the Cruzbike kit on a variety of folder platforms:

- a Downtube VIIIH with the internal hub (a great job!), https://alysion.org/peba/index.php?topic=5.0
- an Downtube IXNS, https://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gr...os/browse/7e71
- a Downtube Front Suspension model with a 26" wheel and mtb forks in front, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzU4mWCZwz0
- a Dahon Helios https://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gr...os/browse/6fce.

Maybe this combination doesn't have the bling factor of a Bike Friday product, but it's very pleasing and affordable. I think it looks great too.

Last edited by SesameCrunch; 05-10-07 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 12:11 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
^ Definitely the nail in the coffin.
Old 05-11-07, 09:06 AM
Javier

Bikes: None at this moment...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi SesameCrunch,

Your Cruzbike/Downtube recumbent conversion is really pretty. Is there any chance you may provide pictures (e.g., closeups) of how you attached the Cruzbike seat to the Downtube seatpost AND the top tube of the frame? I bet that is one of the difficult parts of the conversion.

Thanks!

Javier

P.S. Thanks for providing the links. Two of those links can only be accessed by becoming a member of said Yahoo group.
Old 05-11-07, 01:02 PM
defjack

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio 2.1 T50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The IXNS in the link is mine if you really want to do a build join the yahoo group.I put my seat on with one hose clap and a small section of a Cruzbike seat bracket there is a picture of it on the link. I have done a few upgrades added a Shimano Deore rear drive train and rapid fire shifters and a Shimano 105 double crank mostly from Ebay. Only have about 900 in it. Right now this bike is my main ride and I like it better than the other 2 bents that I have owned. Jack