Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Recommended pro road shop in Sunrise FL ?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-17, 11:28 AM
jeff3069

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

Could you please recommend pro road shops in Sunrise FL ?

Could be nice if I could also rent a bike for a couple of days

Thanks!
Old 06-25-17, 08:09 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
There's a Bike America on University Dr. 1/2 blk north of Sunrise Blvd on the east side of the street. Big Wheel Cycle is just to the north about 3/4 of a mile before Oakland Park Blvd., also on the east side. There is a Trek store out west by the Sawgrass Mall - I think it is on Sunrise Blvd as well.

Lots of other Bike shops in Plantation and other adjacent cities. Quite a few to the east in Ft. Lauderdale as well.
Old 06-25-17, 08:11 PM
jeff3069

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbf909
There's a Bike America on University Dr. 1/2 blk north of Sunrise Blvd on the east side of the street. Big Wheel Cycle is just to the north about 3/4 of a mile before Oakland Park Blvd., also on the east side. There is a Trek store out west by the Sawgrass Mall - I think it is on Sunrise Blvd as well.

Lots of other Bike shops in Plantation and other adjacent cities. Quite a few to the east in Ft. Lauderdale as well.

Thank you dbf909 ! Thus far I was only told about Alex's Cycles. will check these too
Old 06-25-17, 09:07 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
No problem.

If you take Sunrise Blvd. east all the way to US 1 (Ft. Lauderdale) heading north (its a strange intersection where both roads are together for about 1/2 mile, check a map for details...), about 1/4 mile north on the west side is a Performance Bike - I was just there today...

Alex's is in Plantation just south of Sunrise. It's a bit higher market position than Bike America and Big Wheel. Great shop and great folks there - they have some really nice bikes and gear. There is also an Alex's in Parkland to the north and west.

You will likely find far more rentals on the east side of town (Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano, Deerfield, Boca Raton, etc.) simply due to the fact that there are many more tourists there. The ride along the beach on A1A is awesome. I have some friends that do it every weekend - some go as far as 70-80 miles up to Palm Beach and back.

Have fun...
Old 06-25-17, 10:12 PM
jeff3069

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No problem.

If you take Sunrise Blvd. east all the way to US 1 (Ft. Lauderdale) heading north (its a strange intersection where both roads are together for about 1/2 mile, check a map for details...), about 1/4 mile north on the west side is a Performance Bike - I was just there today...

Alex's is in Plantation just south of Sunrise. It's a bit higher market position than Bike America and Big Wheel. Great shop and great folks there - they have some really nice bikes and gear. There is also an Alex's in Parkland to the north and west.

You will likely find far more rentals on the east side of town (Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano, Deerfield, Boca Raton, etc.) simply due to the fact that there are many more tourists there. The ride along the beach on A1A is awesome. I have some friends that do it every weekend - some go as far as 70-80 miles up to Palm Beach and back.

Have fun...
Thanks a lot dbf909 !!
Old 06-26-17, 01:06 PM
dbf909

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I know that you are thinking road biking here but another possibility to consider is to ride the levy roads out in the Everglades to the west of the county (Broward). A cyclecross or gravel bike is a bit more appropriate since it is largely 2 track and un-maintained gravel.

It is a very cool place to ride with no vehicle traffic (South Florida is largely rather bike un-friendly as far as roads go with a few exceptions, A1A being one). Its a very unique experience - I ride out there all the time. You would probably enjoy it - the scenery and wildlife is great, especially late afternoon/evening...

You can access the levies from Markham Park in west Plantation, the west end of Atlantic Blvd in Coral Springs, and/or the west end of Loxahachee Road in Parkland. The roads run north-south with a few running west as well.
Old 06-26-17, 01:12 PM
jeff3069

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know that you are thinking road biking here but another possibility to consider is to ride the levy roads out in the Everglades to the west of the county (Broward). A cyclecross or gravel bike is a bit more appropriate since it is largely 2 track and un-maintained gravel.

It is a very cool place to ride with no vehicle traffic (South Florida is largely rather bike un-friendly as far as roads go with a few exceptions, A1A being one). Its a very unique experience - I ride out there all the time. You would probably enjoy it - the scenery and wildlife is great, especially late afternoon/evening...

You can access the levies from Markham Park in west Plantation, the west end of Atlantic Blvd in Coral Springs, and/or the west end of Loxahachee Road in Parkland.

Hi dbf909, Thanks!
I am planned to spend a work week (meetings..) and I only hope to get one or two 2-hrs ride on any sort of bike.
I actually wrote to one of the shops that I'd prefer just a reasonable hardtail. Won't have time for long rides this trips. Will sure keep your recommendations for a future longer or less busy trip
Old 06-26-17, 02:57 PM
dbf909

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff3069
Hi dbf909, Thanks!
I am planned to spend a work week (meetings..) and I only hope to get one or two 2-hrs ride on any sort of bike.
I actually wrote to one of the shops that I'd prefer just a reasonable hardtail. Won't have time for long rides this trips. Will sure keep your recommendations for a future longer or less busy trip

Understood. There are still lots of possibilities. If you are limited on time then I would definitely recommend the A1A ride starting in Ft. Lauderdale and riding north as far as you want and then back. It will, however, be best to throw the bike in a car and drive east to the beach rather than try to ride there from Sunrise. It is a fair distance (8-12 miles) and there are some rather sketchy areas that you would have to ride through.

Riding around downtown Ft. Lauderdale is also decent, especially around Las Olas Blvd. If you don't have a car then these are probably out of range.

Or, ride west and south (depending on where you are staying in Sunrise) and head out toward Markham Park. It is a very nice large park with lots of paved paths and roads to explore. On the way you will likely pass the BBT Center (where the FL Panthers play) and the Sawgrass Mall. As a note for the future, Markham has one of the best Mountain Bike trails in all of South Florida although it is fairly technical and not so appropriate for much short of a full-on Mountain Bike.

There are quite a few nice areas around Sunrise/Plantation to ride as well and many ways to avoid the busier streets. I used to live in the older (eastern) part of Sunrise off of Sunset Strip back in the '80s. There are very few explicit bike paths on roads in Sunrise. Ironically, there is one on University Drive which is probably the last road I would recommend...