Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are you drinking?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 04:48 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
40 miles and they eat a meal half way? 40 miles where I live only requires some good carbs beforehand and water on the ride.

No ride REQUIRES food. You could survive a double century without any food if that's what floats your boat. But how would you feel after? The next day? How would having a 1000 calorie deficit for just the 40 mile ride affect training for the next day or day after?
Old 05-21-19, 04:51 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by firebird854
Powdered Gatorade for most rides and races, at $8 for 6 gallons it's the best price per value I've found for sports drink. For longer rides (in excess of 4 hours) I'll normally switch to Hammer Perpetuem.

I looked up that Hammer stuff. It's basically just gatorade with this (and caffeine...) mixed in: https://www.amazon.com/Bulksupplemen...01H4BTWGA?th=1
Old 05-21-19, 04:52 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
No ride REQUIRES food. You could survive a double century without any food if that's what floats your boat. But how would you feel after? The next day? How would having a 1000 calorie deficit for just the 40 mile ride affect training for the next day or day after?
Don’t assume I’m not getting enough nutrition post ride. I usually have a powder protein drink post ride. And a good meal later. I’m not a racer.
Old 05-21-19, 04:56 PM
Abe_Froman

Don’t assume I’m not getting enough nutrition post ride. I usually have a powder protein drink post ride. And a good meal later. I’m not a racer.

I'm not assuming anything...we've been talking specifically about on bike nutrition. Eating after a 40 mile ride is just digging yourself out of a hole.

Believe me...I've done this countless times. Perhaps you have just stronger physiology than me...but there is no question that for me, regardless of what I eat directly after a ride, I feel better when I don't create a 1000-2000 (or more...) calorie deficit during a ride.
Old 05-21-19, 05:00 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I'm not assuming anything...we've been talking specifically about on bike nutrition. Eating after a 40 mile ride is just digging yourself out of a hole.

Believe me...I've done this countless times. Perhaps you have just stronger physiology than me...but there is no question that for me, regardless of what I eat directly after a ride, I feel better when I don't create a 1000-2000 (or more...) calorie deficit during a ride.
I’m sure we have different riding patterns as well. A big week for me is 100 miles and I’m 5’ 10” and 200 pounds. I don’t have problems with crashing after rides.
Old 05-21-19, 05:08 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I looked up that Hammer stuff. It's basically just gatorade with this (and caffeine...) mixed in: https://www.amazon.com/Bulksupplemen...01H4BTWGA?th=1
Nope, the Hammer Perpetum has branched Amino Acids and Protein in addition to electrolytes, carbs, and caffeine. I see no reason to mess with the osmoality of Gatorade by adding more carbs, likely wouldn't digest nicely anyway.
Likes For firebird854:
Old 05-21-19, 05:25 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by firebird854
Nope, the Hammer Perpetum has branched Amino Acids and Protein in addition to electrolytes, carbs, and caffeine. I see no reason to mess with the osmoality of Gatorade by adding more carbs, likely wouldn't digest nicely anyway.
Meh. No need to overthink this stuff too much. Sports drinks of all kinds basically provide 3 things: water, salt, calories.

Anything else is just marginal gains/knifes edge type stuff. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. My personal view is that you're paying a 500% markup on basic pantry goods for the privilege of having a 2% difference compared to what you could do at home for practically free.
Old 05-21-19, 05:27 PM
Abe_Froman

I’m sure we have different riding patterns as well. A big week for me is 100 miles and I’m 5’ 10” and 200 pounds. I don’t have problems with crashing after rides.

That's fair. At low intensity, you'll still have (most of..) the calorie deficit, but you won't be nearly as glycogen depleted, which is where I think most of the crashy feeling comes from.
Old 05-21-19, 06:11 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Water only - I never get cramps, so I don’t worry about electrolytes etc. a couple of breakfast bars in my pocket for energy
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-21-19, 06:31 PM
atjurhs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
the reason i asked is that i'm just getting back into riding and last Saturday i did a 21mi hilly ride at 14mph and bonked with 2mi to go, i had nothing and i had already blown through my water bottle and was sweating salt bullets.

so i figure that sipping on one of those "energy drinks" might have helped. sounds like Nunn is what i might be after or maybe just 1/2 gatorade?
Old 05-21-19, 06:41 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Meh. No need to overthink this stuff too much. Sports drinks of all kinds basically provide 3 things: water, salt, calories.

Anything else is just marginal gains/knifes edge type stuff. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. My personal view is that you're paying a 500% markup on basic pantry goods for the privilege of having a 2% difference compared to what you could do at home for practically free.
True, but Gatorades not the best for longer rides. The sugar is used too quickly and leads to crashes. Maltodextrin is king for good solid performance.

I won't argue in the markup, but what I saw was having to buy bulk maltodextrin + protein isolate + electrolytes and combine them myself wasn't really advantageous as just buying Hammer's "Sustained Energy" (close to but not perpetuem). Maybe I could have saved $20? Meh, I have to make some advanced arrangements to get a 100+ day on the bike so I don't mind.

Now HEED, I'll see if it's worth the price, not so sure. But I'm never going back to Gatorade!

Electrolyte tablets have completely taken away my cramps that have dogged me for years on the bike, so maybe I'll end up with a little bulk Malto + electrolyte tablets.
Old 05-21-19, 06:42 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by atjurhs
the reason i asked is that i'm just getting back into riding and last Saturday i did a 21mi hilly ride at 14mph and bonked with 2mi to go, i had nothing and i had already blown through my water bottle and was sweating salt bullets.

so i figure that sipping on one of those "energy drinks" might have helped. sounds like Nunn is what i might be after or maybe just 1/2 gatorade?

I'm not sure I would sweat it (hah, see what I did there ) too much. 21mi at 14mph is an hour and a half. I think you would be hard pressed to develop an electrolyte imbalance that you can feel within 90 minutes. I'm sort of always a proponent of taking in calories while you ride. But realistically, if you bonked 90 minutes in, I'd look back at what you had to eat, if anything beforehand. And of course, always make sure you have enough water...if you're really gushing it out, you can get dehydrated pretty quick.

1st worry about water. Then calories for longer rides...then longer still electrolytes can play a part IMO.
Old 05-21-19, 06:46 PM
atjurhs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
i think i got dehydrated, so Nunn and Gatorade type products should help that, no?
Old 05-21-19, 06:46 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
True, but Gatorades not the best for longer rides. The sugar is used too quickly and leads to crashes. Maltodextrin is king for good solid performance.

I won't argue in the markup, but what I saw was having to buy bulk maltodextrin + protein isolate + electrolytes and combine them myself wasn't really advantageous as just buying Hammer's "Sustained Energy" (close to but not perpetuem). Maybe I could have saved $20? Meh, I have to make some advanced arrangements to get a 100+ day on the bike so I don't mind.

Now HEED, I'll see if it's worth the price, not so sure. But I'm never going back to Gatorade!

Electrolyte tablets have completely taken away my cramps that have dogged me for years on the bike, so maybe I'll end up with a little bulk Malto + electrolyte tablets.
Well I add maltodextrin to my gatorade....I think I do about 50 gram maltodextrin to 23 gram gatorade. It takes like 30 seconds per bottle.

Agree about the maltodextrin, but I think for different reasons. I don't believe maltodextrin takes significantly longer to break down in the gut. But is 1 step more complex, which is important because it doesn't taste sweet generally. So you can cram a ton of maltodextrin calories into a bottle without making it taste like you dumbed a half pound of sugar in there.
Old 05-21-19, 06:48 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by atjurhs
i think i got dehydrated, so Nunn and Gatorade type products should help that, no?
Water will help that

Don't overthink it too much. Those products have salts in them that, if you go hours and hours, you can start to feel the effects of depleting them in your body. Research also says that that and the addition of sugar allows the fluid to be absorbed more quickly than just water on it's own. But really....I see limited benefit in water being absorbed 5% faster or whatever it is. As long as you don't stop drinking.
Old 05-21-19, 07:35 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I use Emergen-C, in the 250mg dose, mainly because it is readily available in my little backwater.
Old 05-21-19, 10:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've used Powerbar drink powder- basically just sugar,

but have gone to plain water. Tired of black scuzz growing in the bottles.

Also trained to fat more- a handful of nuts and dried fruit & maybe a banana along with the pastry & coffee stop is fine for a 5- 7 hour ride.

Post-ride beer is pretty common. Different formula for longer rides- more calories in.
Old 05-22-19, 01:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
DripDrop or Propel for electrolytes. Both come in handy little Mylar packets, waterproof and easy to stuff into a seat bag.

MiO packets for caffeine and vitamin B, or protein.

Creatine/BCAA powder. I was skeptical about creatine at first but it does seem to help with my muscle recovery *during* rides and workouts. The only drawback is it makes me pee more often, which can be a hassle during a ride. Mostly I use it on my days off the bike when I'm doing other physical therapy to strengthen and stabilize my neck and upper body.
Old 05-22-19, 04:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
40 miles and they eat a meal half way? 40 miles where I live only requires some good carbs beforehand and water on the ride.
Yes. I have been on rides where people do that. Recurring level C ride. Slightly over 40 miles. Not that hilly. Boggles my mind.
Old 05-22-19, 04:40 AM
indyfabz

Do some darn research. Perpetuem is not a sports drink like Gatorade. And for people who think Gatorade has tons of energy, it doesn't a 32 oz. bottle has only 200 calories. A single serve package of Perpetuem, which I mix in a 25 oz. bottle, has 270. 54 grams of carbs in 25 oz. compared to 56 for the 32 oz. Gatorade.

And when you are doing something like this, where there is no access to any food or water, on a fully-loaded bike, in 90 degree temperatures, you don't have the luxury of raiding your pantry:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23254899?beta=false

Life it's not always about saving a few bucks.
Old 05-22-19, 04:53 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Hmm, powdery stuff? I'd have to chose this in that case. On heavy days I throw in different fruits and spin it in the blender for a frothy post-workout delight.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-22-19 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 05-22-19, 05:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. I have been on rides where people do that. Recurring level C ride. Slightly over 40 miles. Not that hilly. Boggles my mind.
These types of rides are generally the social club rides. If a person typically eats breakfast, lunch and dinner, and you go for a ride that spans one of these usual dining timeframes, why not break and have a bit of a meal?
Old 05-22-19, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
2-bottle summer rides --
1st bottle is just a Nuun tab (watermelon ftw)
2nd bottle is half-strength Gatorade powder, plus 1/2 tab Nuun.

I used to sometimes throw in some whey powder (protein) into the 2nd bottle mixture, but don't bother now.
Old 05-22-19, 06:16 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Do some darn research. Perpetuem is not a sports drink like Gatorade. And for people who think Gatorade has tons of energy, it doesn't a 32 oz. bottle has only 200 calories. A single serve package of Perpetuem, which I mix in a 25 oz. bottle, has 270. 54 grams of carbs in 25 oz. compared to 56 for the 32 oz. Gatorade.

And when you are doing something like this, where there is no access to any food or water, on a fully-loaded bike, in 90 degree temperatures, you don't have the luxury of raiding your pantry:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23254899?beta=false

Life it's not always about saving a few bucks.
Other than making the brine palatable, the original rationale for the glucose in Gatorade® when it was developed at UF was only to stimulate insulin release and facilitate potassium uptake into cells. This isn't even necessary, since no who isn't taking strong diuretics, doesn't have kidney disease or vomiting/diarrhea, and eats fruits and vegetables, is in any danger of hypokalemia.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-22-19 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 06:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
These types of rides are generally the social club rides. If a person typically eats breakfast, lunch and dinner, and you go for a ride that spans one of these usual dining timeframes, why not break and have a bit of a meal?
Not really that sort of ride. Started at 9. If there were no food stop it would be done by noon. Who needs pizza or a hoagie half way on that sort of ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.