Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Show me your BLACK bike!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Show me your BLACK bike!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 08:22 AM
crash14me

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know the picture is awful (and so is the bike). The bike was free though and it got me into the sport so I'm not mad about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0170.jpg (86.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-22-12, 02:58 PM
Tyranniux

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-22-12, 06:36 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
^^^ Nice, but a black group-set would be better
Old 08-23-12, 02:25 AM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can never have too many Manocoque posts! The name alone drives me crazy!
Old 08-23-12, 09:25 AM
Crash_N_Carry

Bikes: 2005 Raliegh Grand Prix w/significant upgrades. 2013 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It started life as a completely black bike. When I replaced the wheels, my LBS only had them in white (and they were giving me a sweet deal on them so I jumped on it). When I replaced the brake and shifter housings, I chose white to give it a little more balance with the white wheels.

Why the red handlebar tape then? One word: safety!

Us hoomans tend to notice red objects instinctively. Think of a pack of zebras running around. Collectively it's going to be hard to see individuals in the herd. Now imagine one of them running around with a head wound spewing red blood everywhere. ... yeah, you're gonna notice that one.

From the comments (and looks) I've gotten when I ride, believe me, the red works.
Old 08-23-12, 11:08 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash_N_Carry

From the comments (and looks) I've gotten when I ride, believe me, the red works.

Believe me, I'm trying to be helpful.

Your saddle bag doesn't need to be as big as your gym bag. If you put your lunch and a six pack in there, I bet it rubs against your tire. If you're not carrying that much stuff, it doesn't need to be the XXXXL size. A bike fit likely brings your saddle up, making this somewhat moot.

Rotate your bars down.

I'd recommend a bike fit, even a quick one at the LBS.
Old 08-23-12, 11:22 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-23-12, 11:42 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiKid
Captured a good picture of my new SST as the sun rose a few days ago.. just need a name for her now..
I feel like that bike is just shouting at me. Yelling at the top of it's lungs for attention. I guess it's mostly the rim decals.

Maybe name her 'subtle'?

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 08-23-12, 11:59 AM
FujiKid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
I feel like that bike is just shouting at me. Yelling at the top of it's lungs for attention. I guess it's mostly the rim decals.

Maybe name her 'subtle'?
Good idea.
Old 08-23-12, 12:14 PM
Crash_N_Carry

Bikes: 2005 Raliegh Grand Prix w/significant upgrades. 2013 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Believe me, I'm trying to be helpful.

Your saddle bag doesn't need to be as big as your gym bag. If you put your lunch and a six pack in there, I bet it rubs against your tire. If you're not carrying that much stuff, it doesn't need to be the XXXXL size. A bike fit likely brings your saddle up, making this somewhat moot.

Rotate your bars down.

I'd recommend a bike fit, even a quick one at the LBS.
I bought a bigger bag for a reason: I really do put a lot of stuff in there (cell, wallet, tube patch kit, and some various odds and ends). I'm not a competitive cyclist so I don't care about weight. It doesn't rub against the tire either; I mounted it in such a way that it clears the rear tire even when it's fully loaded.

Oddly enough, my LBS rotated the handlebars UP in that position. I used to have them lower than that but they *****ed at me saying that it was a safety hazard. I'll rotate them downwards more though since I can't ride with my hands in the drops like I used to.

Unfortunately I can't go higher on the seat. My inseam is only 29" (the frame is 50cm). I've tried going higher but it doesn't feel right.
Old 08-23-12, 12:32 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a bigger bag for a reason: I really do put a lot of stuff in there (cell, wallet, tube patch kit, and some various odds and ends). I'm not a competitive cyclist so I don't care about weight. It doesn't rub against the tire either; I mounted it in such a way that it clears the rear tire even when it's fully loaded.
Have any jerseys with rear pockets? I'd need a rolling trunk like yours if I didn't have the pocket space. I suppose it all weighs the same no matter where it's carried though.

How bent (or straight) is your knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke? I agree that the saddle looks low.

Last edited by dtrain; 08-23-12 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 12:39 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oddly enough, my LBS rotated the handlebars UP in that position. I used to have them lower than that but they *****ed at me saying that it was a safety hazard. I'll rotate them downwards more though since I can't ride with my hands in the drops like I used to.

Unfortunately I can't go higher on the seat. My inseam is only 29" (the frame is 50cm). I've tried going higher but it doesn't feel right.
You don't have to change a thing about it. It is your bike and set it up and ride it any ways you want. Congrats on getting back into cycling.
Old 08-23-12, 04:00 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Am I missing something? Is this the hot or not thread? If the only thing you can post about someone's bike is rude how about just keeping it to yourself? It's fine to be helpful but being a jerk just isn't cool.
Old 08-23-12, 04:06 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edited...sorry thought I was in the hot or not thread....

Last edited by bianchi10; 08-23-12 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 04:08 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
UCIMBZ please leave this thread. Thank you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-23-12, 04:09 PM
Crash_N_Carry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technically no. I do have *one* biking specific jersey, but I don't wear it much since it's a little snug after all these years (I look like an overstuffed sausage when I try to wear it. lol). These days I normally wear Under Armor jerseys that are loose fitting (but have no pockets).

At this point I'm not overly concerned with the weight on the bike since I'm the heaviest thing on it by far (although I've lost weight I currently weigh 255lbs (yup, I'm technically a Clydesdale. lol!)). All the same I can maintain 15-20mph on a flat path for an extended amount of time. My legs are very muscular; it's my midsection that's limiting me right now, which is why I have the bike set up the way I do. I've tried raising the seat, but I then put too much weight forward, and my hands go numb. I raised the seat another inch a few minutes ago and I'm going to go for another ride shortly. Let's see if I've improved enough where I can ride in that position.

As it stands my knee is only slightly bent at full extension. Raising the seat brings it up to the uppermost part of my hip bone when I stand beside the bike. If I raise the seat anymore I may have to get a head tube extension to keep me from leaning so far forward. Yeah I know you're SUPPOSED to lean forward for speed, but I'm more concerned with comfort these days. Hey... I'm gettin' old.

A little more insight into why the bag is big. When I'm riding around the neighborhood I don't bring much (if anything) with me besides a cellphone and my house keys. It's when I go on extended distances (say I drive to a bikeway next state over (which I've done)). I could keep things like my wallet, cellphone, etc in my car, but I'd rather not. People are nuts these days and I wouldn't put it past someone to try to break into my vehicle while I ride off down a path. At least if they're on me, they're going to have to stop me first (and have to deal with me face to face) before they can just walk off with it.

I purposely bought a bigger bag for another reason too. Right now I've got two Blackburn Voyager 3.3 lights on my bike. While they make great warning lights, trying to use them to see ahead of you is like trying to drive by the light of a matchstick. My plan in a month or so is to buy a much better head lamp and stash the battery inside the bag. There should be enough space for all my stuff and the battery in there.

Originally Posted by dtrain
Have any jerseys with rear pockets? I'd need a rolling trunk like yours if I didn't have the pocket space. I suppose it all weighs the same no matter where it's carried though.

How bent (or straight) is your knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke? I agree that the saddle looks low.
Old 08-23-12, 04:19 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Technically no. I do have *one* biking specific jersey, but I don't wear it much since it's a little snug after all these years (I look like an overstuffed sausage when I try to wear it. lol). These days I normally wear Under Armor jerseys that are loose fitting (but have no pockets).

At this point I'm not overly concerned with the weight on the bike since I'm the heaviest thing on it by far (although I've lost weight I currently weigh 255lbs (yup, I'm technically a Clydesdale. lol!)). All the same I can maintain 15-20mph on a flat path for an extended amount of time. My legs are very muscular; it's my midsection that's limiting me right now, which is why I have the bike set up the way I do. I've tried raising the seat, but I then put too much weight forward, and my hands go numb. I raised the seat another inch a few minutes ago and I'm going to go for another ride shortly. Let's see if I've improved enough where I can ride in that position.

As it stands my knee is only slightly bent at full extension. Raising the seat brings it up to the uppermost part of my hip bone when I stand beside the bike. If I raise the seat anymore I may have to get a head tube extension to keep me from leaning so far forward. Yeah I know you're SUPPOSED to lean forward for speed, but I'm more concerned with comfort these days. Hey... I'm gettin' old.

A little more insight into why the bag is big. When I'm riding around the neighborhood I don't bring much (if anything) with me besides a cellphone and my house keys. It's when I go on extended distances (say I drive to a bikeway next state over (which I've done)). I could keep things like my wallet, cellphone, etc in my car, but I'd rather not. People are nuts these days and I wouldn't put it past someone to try to break into my vehicle while I ride off down a path. At least if they're on me, they're going to have to stop me first (and have to deal with me face to face) before they can just walk off with it.

I purposely bought a bigger bag for another reason too. Right now I've got two Blackburn Voyager 3.3 lights on my bike. While they make great warning lights, trying to use them to see ahead of you is like trying to drive by the light of a matchstick. My plan in a month or so is to buy a much better head lamp and stash the battery inside the bag. There should be enough space for all my stuff and the battery in there.
Sounds good, man. Congrats on the weight loss and keep cranking out those miles.

Old 08-23-12, 04:19 PM
Crash_N_Carry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awful? Looks great to me! Aside from the color, your bike looks very similar to my 1986 Schwinn Caliente.

Originally Posted by crash14me

I know the picture is awful (and so is the bike). The bike was free though and it got me into the sport so I'm not mad about it.
Old 08-23-12, 04:23 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bianchi10
WTF did you do to that bike. it takes a lot to make an ugly bike even uglier but you succeeded my friend
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Look what bianchi10 did. I am just saying.
Old 08-23-12, 04:27 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
it was rude for this thread. I didn't realize I wasn't in the hot or not thread. my apologies
Old 08-23-12, 04:29 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it was rude for this thread. I didn't realize I wasn't in the hot or not thread. my apologies
Nice build on that CAD though. Sorry no one gave you love over it.
Old 08-23-12, 04:38 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Sweet.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-23-12, 05:05 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
meh, its all good. I still have a couple things to do before I would give it a hot with my standards but the water is starting to boil on this one and getting hot lol

the color is half and half so i dont know which thread to post it in..."Show me your white" or "show me your black" bike!
Old 08-23-12, 05:27 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the color is half and half so i dont know which thread to post it in..."Show me your white" or "show me your black" bike!
BOTH!!!!
Old 08-23-12, 06:25 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cdale Supersix. sold the Ridley and got this last week. Swapped the 105 that came with it, with my ultegra I had on the ridley. Put the 105 on my Ridley and sold it to my friend.
Here are the things I intend on doing in the near future.

-Cutting steering tube tomorrow (Hopefully. picture is photoshopped because it just ruins the photo)
-Thomson masterpeice seat post
-SLK crankset with praxis chainrings

Things I dont feel I need but still looking at future purchase:
-zip vuka sprint bars
-zip stem
-carbon bottle cages (probably sooner than later)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.