Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1952 French bike..please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 10:31 AM
stingray565

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1952 French bike..please help!

First of all I'm new in this forum and I´m from Argentina.
This bike was in my family from 1952 when my father bought it, part by part. He bougth first the frame, here in Argentina, and later the rest of the parts. He never knew the name of the artisan because it never had any type of decals (no tubes decals or frame builder decals) on the other hand as regards the absense of decals, it hadn't nameplate (and their holes) in the front tube too.
Mi problem today is to discover who welded this frame.

The hole 11 tubes are stamped with "DURIFORT C" (as shown in photos N°8-9-10 &11 in the link attached) and according with the chart attached, lugs are NERVEX serie legere : Fork crown pattern N°2, Set lug N°158 and lugs model 48/161.
It has french bottom bracket Metric 35x1, stem tube is Ø22mm (not the standard Ø22,2mm) and seat post is in steel with "Durifort C" clearly stamped. Dropouts are stamped (not forged) but hasn't no name.

As I mentioned before, this frame never had decals (even when it was new) and besides, nobody knows if there are artisans welding frames in 1952 in Buenos Aires. So, my questions is: Who was the french builder in your opinion?
I found several days ago some "Urago Debutante" with similar scheme of tubes and lugs: Do you think my bike is an Urago?
FYI my Bottom bracket has a big "C" stamped and the serial number "6L62"

I want to restaure this frame keeping the spirit of his builder. In this way I have all original components : FB crankset (with only one gear), FB hubs (steel centre with aluminum wings), Ambrosio stem, Ambrosio handblear, Italia Regis 39024 saddle, SuperChampion derailleur, Super Champion gears(x4), a nice and unknown for me english chain (with links chromed plated and blue plated), Stella sprockets, LAM brakes, Ambrosio rims and Stronglight headset.

As regards Dominique Urago was born in Italy, I think he would had contact with the large italian community in Argentina. Perhaps, he did an
special price to an argentinian-italian distributor established here, and the lack of decals are only an indication of cost reduction for Custom taxes of Juan D. Peron's goverment.
Finally, I found an original photo of a new "DURIFORT C" decals in a french blog. Then, the tubing set really existed.

Only one thing: The numbers stamped in the lower front lug was made by the painter 20 years ago in a quick restauration.
The rest of the photos are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stingra...7630565308672/

Thanks in advance for help and sorry for my Tarzan´s english
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8.jpg (95.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (96.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 07-21-12, 04:38 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
It's not that no one is interested in helping, it's just the bike probably precedes 90% of the members birthdates!

Also, my French knowledge is so weak, I found today out I wasn't pronouncing Huret correctly.
Old 07-21-12, 06:25 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
+1

You have a beautiful work of art but I have no idea who made it. Good luck! It's not often I see road bikes like that from the 1950s.
Old 07-22-12, 02:04 PM
stingray565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, oddjob2 , good point!!jajaja
Any web , any blog where to find help...my english is so bad, but my french is worse!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-12, 02:06 PM
stingray565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
+1

You have a beautiful work of art but I have no idea who made it. Good luck! It's not often I see road bikes like that from the 1950s.
Thank you FastJake, Is frustrating no to know who weld this ****ing frame...