Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Knee symptoms besides pain

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 10:09 AM
ABQIan

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Bianchi Vigorelli, Jamis Dragonslayer, Surly Cross Check, EAI Bareknuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

For whatever reason I've had trouble describing a symptom in my right leg. It's been going on for several years, and through several bike fits. Basically, after riding, I feel some sensitivity in my kneecap (right only) and down the outside of my leg, but mainly in the knee. I'd call it 'discomfort,' but I have to stop short of describing it as pain. It's not sharp, it isn't swollen or throbbing, and I notice it whenever putting weight on that leg. So if I walk the dog, I swing my left leg and then my brain goes "and here's the right" and I am more acutely sensitive to the motions of the leg that play off those areas.

I can sometimes produce a pop in only this leg by pulling my leg backwards.

I have foot stability issues and I'm betting that they haven't been adequately solved. Currently wear cycling orthotics and varus wedges (result of a bike fit) and although they improve knee tracking, they have not resolved this particular issue. I have been fit five times by different people and methods and no one has suggested an LLD.
At this point I'm pretty confident in postural/saddle aspects of fit. I have always had an unusual gait (toe walker) and overly flexible feet that pronate widely, so I'm used to thinking of myself as somewhat 'off' in the foot department. That said, I used to walk dogs for a living for 6+ miles a day and I still get at least an hour of walking a day in... and this is where I notice the 'issue' the most.

So the tricky thing in trying to solve this problem is it's not actually pain, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. It also doesn't really affect my cycling to a great degree, although like I said I'm usually aware of my feet as the weak link in the kinetic chain, and this happens while pedaling too. However, I'm the kind of person that notices any odd sensations and thinks of them as indicative of a systemic issue. When I look at cycling-related injuries, though, it's always about sharp pain and I can't find anything that matches what I'm describing.

If it matters, I try to meet a cycling goal of 200 miles per week and I usually take one rest day and alternate lighter and heavier loads. There have been times when I did half that volume and the problem was still around, so I'm not convinced it's just overuse. I've always favored MTB style SPD pedals.

thank you for any input.
Old 05-22-20, 07:54 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Almost sounds like an IT band issue. Have not experienced that on the bike, but definitely in the past with running. As you mentioned the foot stability issues, this very well could factor into a tracking issue with your leg movement. I don't know how to approach the foot issues, that may just end up a continual issue to pay attention to and adjust as needed. I tend to do a lot of foam rolling, thanks to a history of running high mileage. I think GCN had some videos on foam rolling, I know the Run Experience on YouTube has some good ones. I have had good results with various issues (waist down) being able to roll out. I tend to roll out before activity, and stretch after. Sadly, any of the other gimmicky stuff (straps that go below the knee, KT taping for IT) have not done a thing, only paying attention to movement will start the healing process.
Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-20, 09:42 AM
ABQIan

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Bianchi Vigorelli, Jamis Dragonslayer, Surly Cross Check, EAI Bareknuckle

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Almost sounds like an IT band issue. Have not experienced that on the bike, but definitely in the past with running. As you mentioned the foot stability issues, this very well could factor into a tracking issue with your leg movement. I don't know how to approach the foot issues, that may just end up a continual issue to pay attention to and adjust as needed. I tend to do a lot of foam rolling, thanks to a history of running high mileage. I think GCN had some videos on foam rolling, I know the Run Experience on YouTube has some good ones. I have had good results with various issues (waist down) being able to roll out. I tend to roll out before activity, and stretch after. Sadly, any of the other gimmicky stuff (straps that go below the knee, KT taping for IT) have not done a thing, only paying attention to movement will start the healing process.
Hope this helps!

Anything helps . I'm a fan of foam rolling, maybe I'll focus on that more. thanks
Old 05-22-20, 04:53 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Try stretching your calves before and after you ride. Also if you sit at a desk all day try to keep that leg out and not bent.
Old 05-22-20, 04:54 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
If you think your knee problem is related to a foot problem, why not consult a podiatrist?
Old 05-24-20, 04:03 PM
ABQIan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
If you think your knee problem is related to a foot problem, why not consult a podiatrist?
Have in the past, they haven't had much to say about it beyond what I do now orthotically. Second opinions take months here, but I'm looking around.
Old 05-24-20, 05:53 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Go have it looked at seems like the obvious answer. I dealt with knee pain for a couple years in everyday movement but never while riding, not bad but went to get on the bike one morning last spring and instant pain, could barely get on the seat from the knee not wanting to support me. Of course the moment it screwed with riding I had to get it dealt with. Up front costs were a little high and I only sent in the last payment a couple weeks ago which sucked but the lack of pain is really pleasant and I was riding 4 weeks later.
Old 05-24-20, 07:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, could be tight muscles. Could be weather changes.

My knees are 62 (I'm younger -- that's what I keep telling myself) and remarkably healthy considering all of my accidents and stupidity. My neck, back and shoulder are busted up but the knees are okay. So when the knees ache I pay attention.

I planned on a 50-60 mile ride Saturday but around 20 miles the right knee was somewhere between a twinge and an ache and didn't get better after I geared down to spin more, mash less. So I cut it short at 30something miles. Probably just due to the sudden barometric pressure drop from an approaching t-storm. Happens all the time. Usually I get sinus pressure headaches, but occasionally the joints ache too.

BTW, for my legs I use a marble rolling pin rather than foam rollers. I have a foam roller and it's awkward. Sometimes I use it on my back, but I feel like I'm getting more a core workout than any relaxing massage effect.

But a heavy marble rolling pin? It's like magic on the legs, especially the quads and calves. I got it as a gift years ago because I like to bake, and occasionally use it in the kitchen. But I mostly use it on my legs. Feels great. Seems to clear the whatchamacallit body chemicals (lactate?) that supposedly leave our legs feeling sore and dead.

Anyone want some homemade pastry? My pastries are very popular in Dr. Lecter's kitchen.