Old 12-17-19, 06:21 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
San Diego Biking?

I'm looking to do a quick trip to San Diego for biking in January. Any recommendations for bike routes? I just want to escape from NYC for a few days. I fly for free and thought that this would be a good place to go for cycling. I did a similar trip to San Fran a few weeks ago and had a blast, but I know SF a little better. I'll rent a road bike while there for a day for this, the rest of my stay I'll use whatever bike share there is to tool around town.

In a similar vein I'm going to look to do Paris in the spring. Flying for free is the greatest retirement benefit ever.
Old 12-17-19, 09:57 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
three routes:
https://www.strava.com/routes/22984342
https://www.strava.com/routes/22983853
https://www.strava.com/routes/22983814

weather could be daytime highs in the upper 50's or in the low 70's. this year seems like a rain year compared to a drought year.
some great climbs in east county/low mountains 40 mins-1 hr drive away but tends to be pretty windy out there during the winter.
the routes are all from mission bay so if you stay dtown, add 5 miles to mission bay. if you stay in mission valley, add one mile.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-17-19 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-17-19, 10:05 PM
zacster

Thanks. Anything above 50 would be warm enough for me, although 60s would be better. It was 33 here today and rained all day.
Old 12-17-19, 10:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

you'll be fine. unless you're here during the coldest storm of the year, daytime highs will be 55+ at the coldest.
Old 12-19-19, 02:51 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
three routes:
https://www.strava.com/routes/22984342
https://www.strava.com/routes/22983853
https://www.strava.com/routes/22983814

weather could be daytime highs in the upper 50's or in the low 70's. this year seems like a rain year compared to a drought year.
some great climbs in east county/low mountains 40 mins-1 hr drive away but tends to be pretty windy out there during the winter.
the routes are all from mission bay so if you stay dtown, add 5 miles to mission bay. if you stay in mission valley, add one mile.
Those are all good rides, especially that quintessential coastal ride. And if you like climbing, how can you not enjoy those three trips up to Mt. Soledad?
Zacster, if you want something a little more inland, you could also do the 'great western loop'. Just google "strava great western loop" and it comes right up.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-24-20, 11:08 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I'm here for a conference (but used to live here).

I rented a road bike from this place. Stay Classy Bike Rentals - San Diego, CA I brought my own pedals, shoes, and helmet (although they will provide it). They delivered the bike to my hotel with a tool kit, spare tire, and CO2 catridges, and will pick it up tomorrow. They've been great to deal with.

I'm doing this ride tomorrow:

https://thebikerevolution.com/where-...ches-and-bays/
Old 01-24-20, 11:19 PM
zacster

That sounds really nice. I never did finalize plans to go. I have firm plans now to go to Seattle and Vancouver in March and SF and Yosemite in May. Plus I also will be in Santa Fe and the Grand Canyon in August, although that may not be a biking trip. Oh, and Florida too in March. Seattle I'll ride if the weather cooperates, but that isn't a given in Seattle. I'm hoping SF in May is OK as I plan a ride up Mt. Tamalpais.

And I still want to ride Paris...
Old 01-25-20, 03:29 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by pennpaul
I'm here for a conference (but used to live here).

I rented a road bike from this place. Stay Classy Bike Rentals - San Diego, CA I brought my own pedals, shoes, and helmet (although they will provide it). They delivered the bike to my hotel with a tool kit, spare tire, and CO2 catridges, and will pick it up tomorrow. They've been great to deal with.

I'm doing this ride tomorrow:

https://thebikerevolution.com/where-...ches-and-bays/
enjoy! weather looks like it will be pretty nice on saturday.
Old 01-25-20, 07:22 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
enjoy! weather looks like it will be pretty nice on saturday.
Turned out to be a great ride with a bit of fog up to Cabrillo. I extended the ride to almost 50 miles and went up to La Jolla Cove. I rented a full carbon frame and it was awesome!

I rode down Hill Street in Sunset Cliffs. I rode up it in my late 20s and while standing to do the climb, pulled something in my lower back. Hurt like a mother but it was either grin and bear it or stop and fall off.

Funny thing is I always thought climbing to Cabrillo was a real challenge, but after riding in Jerusalem's hills for 2 years, not so bad.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 01-26-20, 03:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by pennpaul
Turned out to be a great ride with a bit of fog up to Cabrillo. I extended the ride to almost 50 miles and went up to La Jolla Cove. I rented a full carbon frame and it was awesome!

I rode down Hill Street in Sunset Cliffs. I rode up it in my late 20s and while standing to do the climb, pulled something in my lower back. Hurt like a mother but it was either grin and bear it or stop and fall off.

Funny thing is I always thought climbing to Cabrillo was a real challenge, but after riding in Jerusalem's hills for 2 years, not so bad.

climbing up to cabrillo natl monument isn’t difficult unless you involve the previously mentioned hill street on the ocean side of things or involve talbot, harbor view or lucinda streets on the bay side. catalina, altho busy, is still the easiest way up to cabrillo. cañon st. is probably next easiest way up.