Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boom Goes the Bicycle...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Boom Goes the Bicycle...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 06:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Boom Goes the Bicycle...

Forbes ran this article a couple of days ago on May 1st about the 1970s "bike boom"...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#4fd17c6b41cf
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-03-20, 06:48 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
It was a big deal at the time but we knew it was doomed, although a few well-positioned dealers made their bundles while it lasted.
Old 05-03-20, 06:51 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
They were great times. But woulda shoulda coulda.
These are the best times ever in choices of bicycle types and gear. Let's all make it better TODAY!

Old 05-04-20, 12:35 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I remember it well! Field of bike racks at college. Fun times.

I feel today you get way more bang for the buck (usually), especially with tires and drivetrains, but riding is far more dangerous due to driver distraction with smartphones, GPS, Infotainment systems, WiFi in cars, huge, high SUVs, etc. back in the early 1970's those distractions did not exist, although you had more cigarette smokers and butt flickers. Add that to most drivers being more stressed now than back then.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-04-20, 11:50 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
I was around back then, and this feels different. Two weeks before the stay at home, but you can still hike or ride orders were issued, things were what it would still be had covid not hit.

When all this covid stuff blows over, cycling is going to return to near pre covid levels. And the biggest boon to regular cyclists will bee a surplus of near new used bikes on Craigslist.

I highly doubt there will be even a 10% increase in new cyclists out of this.
Old 05-04-20, 01:50 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat

When all this covid stuff blows over, cycling is going to return to near pre covid levels. And the biggest boon to regular cyclists will bee a surplus of near new used bikes on Craigslist.
Might take a long time before people thin out what they just bought, but I'm looking forward to that, actually.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-04-20, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
It's awfully hard to buy a bike where I am now; if you're willing to do all your shopping online you can have one delivered, but test rides are right out. Most of the boom I'm seeing is people who bought a bike 1, 3, 5, or 10 years ago, parked it in the garage, and left it. Without anything better to do, they've dusted those garage queens off, taken them to the bike shops for service (that is allowed here), which means oil it, install new tubes, and pump the tires up.

This boom will last, I predict, two weeks after barbershops, hair salons, and restaurants open up. The bikes will be parked in the garages then, and -- alas! -- not put on Craigslist.
Old 05-04-20, 02:41 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I loved the 60s, still do. Wish I bought my 1973 CCM 3 spd at new, but the color was a yucky burgundy.
Mine was a new 1974 5 spd defailleur. Only parts surviving are the so comfy vinyl grips, rack, back fender and the repurposed stem shifter clamp. I never really trusted the cotter cranks, tires and stuff to go out over 25 miles and back.
I rode it until my 1990 Raleigh 3x6 with an awful broom handlebar.
Riding with bell bottoms was HORRIBLE. I didn't do that much. LOL
From 1975 till 1990 or so, it was very lonely on the streets. Yelled at and scorned some. The river valley MUPs here led to the next boom.
A lot more young families out and about now. All ages too, many more regular commuters. Very very FEW disrespectful drivers now. Avg 1 or 2 deaths a year. Very safe IMO. I'm not going out riding on ice or freezing myself.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-04-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 05:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
When I read this title, I thought maybe someone had a mishap with their crabon bike...
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-04-20, 06:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
oil/emissions caused the 70's boom. False 'health' fear is driving todays spike.
Old 05-04-20, 07:51 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
oil/emissions caused the 70's boom. False 'health' fear is driving todays spike.
Not to mention the "discovery/acceptance" of the 10speed "English Racer". Everybody had to have one, from Hollywood stars to the neighborhood kids, who couldn't care less about the price of gas.

Back in the early 70's, you couldn't give a stingray away.
Old 05-05-20, 08:09 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Strangely enough, I've been seeing more high end bikes on Craigslist than I remember seeing in the past. I wonder if layoffs are having an effect on this?
Old 05-09-20, 12:55 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Boom Goes the Bicycle...
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Forbes ran this article a couple of days ago on May 1st about the 1970s "bike boom":

"Bicycling Booms During Lockdown—But There's A Warning From History.."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#4fd17c6b41cf
Originally Posted by thumpism
It was a big deal at the time but we knew it was doomed, although a few well-positioned dealers made their bundles while it lasted.
Thanks for the link, @BobbyG; it certainly was nostalgic since I got my start back then. Actually IMO the article was too heavy on sociopolitics…Mo Udall, Woodward and Bernstein...

Nonetheless it did capture the spirit of the times for one who was there
Built on baby-boomer wealth, burgeoning environmental concerns, and the same health kick that saw the rise of jogging, this bike boom lasted for the best part of four years. (It was many times larger than the mountain-bike boom of the 1980s).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Likely because we were in our vigorous 20’s in the 1970’s, and thankfully kept up this beneficial lifestyle.

See this thread, "Anyone around during the Bike Boom of the 1970s? Tell me about your story!"
… Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife.

We toured in Michigan and Ontario. In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston.
...I can vividly remember that beautiful day of my epiphany in May of 1970, when I borrowed my roommate's Schwinn Varsity to go do a few scattered errands around town.

[He had to explain to me to keep pedaling when I shifted gears, unlike a three-speed.]
Actually though, as noted above that while I may have had a predilection to get involved in cycling, the boom was already in progress, and did not necessarily entice me to become one of the small percentage of those who bought bikes at the time to become a life-long cycling devotee.

Actually perhaps a stronger prompt might have been the Aerobics phenomenon (by Dr. Ken Cooper) which I recall preceded the cycling boom in 1968.
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I was around back then, and this feels different. Two weeks before the stay at home, but you can still hike or ride orders were issued, things were what it would still be had covid not hit.

I highly doubt there will be even a 10% increase in new cyclists out of this.
+1. It was quickly noted on BikeForums how crowded the MUPS were becoming as a result of this anomalous situation, rather than a confluence of trends as noted above.

For me the absence of auto traffic on the roads is a notable boon, but I think it will be rescinded as well as MUP crowding once the situation recedes.

↓↓↓↓

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-20 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 12:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
ɅɅɅɅ

I think the Bike Boom of the70's was a watershed as far as I could tell for bikes and accessories, and lifestyles, especially having grown up in the car culture in America in the 50s and 60s.
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I remember it well! Field of bike racks at college. Fun times.

I feel today you get way more bang for the buck (usually), especially with tires and drivetrains, but riding is far more dangerous due to driver distraction with smartphones, GPS, Infotainment systems, WiFi in cars, huge, high SUVs, etc.

Back in the early 1970's those distractions did not exist, although you had more cigarette smokers and butt flickers. Add that to most drivers being more stressed now than back then.
Originally Posted by hillyman
They were great times. But woulda shoulda coulda.
These are the best times ever in choices of bicycle types and gear. Let's all make it better TODAY!
Previously posted:
Originally Posted by Camilo
I started in around 72 or 73 by buying a used Gitane (I think Gran Sport?) from a friend - $50…Huret derailleurs, steel, knurled rims….Suntour (?XGT?) derailleurs, alloy crank and rims. Bar end shifters.

… mid-70s Raleigh SuperCourse MKII in red…Plastic Simplex RD, STEEL cotterless crank…Gitanes, Peugeots, some Motobecanes and Raleighs…Schwinns and Free Spirit and on down the line…. Mercier, Bottechia, and of course higher end Raleighs, Gitanes and Peugeots. …

To show you the level that most of had, we thought we'd really graduated to high quality stuff if it had an alloy cotterless crank..
Originally Posted by kenzo1979
I was in high school in the 70's- graduated in '74. I raced in a club in Northern NJ, Nutley Bike Club. I did club races and did Somerville and the state championships….

Bike and cycling were not "elitist" so much as enthusiast drivenThese were the days of nail-on cleats and leather "hairnet" helmets. I remember shaving my legs for the first time and getting puzzled suspicious looks from my girlfriend in HS.

The so called "bike boom" was certainly a boom in my mind- I was obsessed with cycling and racing and European racing and Gran Fondos. The "boom" it seems to me, was driven by the growing import of better equipment and teens (like me) or 20 somethings in college (which I was by '75 in New York City) creating a growing and graduated market for imported upscale bikes…

The gasoline shortage of the mid 70's definitely boosted bike sales around my area as more people turned to bikes as an alternative to driving- especially when they sold gas alternating on days according to odd/even plate numbers. I was just starting to drive, and i turned to my bike as a much more reliable means of transport. My bikes became utilitarian as much as for racing and sport riding.

Another bit of a phenom was the growth of the American Youth Hostels (AYH) that held large teen bike tours through New England and all around the country with a network of hostels for extended overnight trips….

I would guess that the cycling "boom" was mostly located on the east and west coasts because the growing distribution of new bikes and components branched out from importer located near major shipping distribution points- NYC, MD, LA, SF, etc.[
Nice post kenzol, and it's a good description of those halcyon days before mountain bikes. Having grown up in Detroit, after about age 14 riding my bike, even to school would have been “nerdy" (had the word existed), especially since I was already a “Brain.”

Nonetheless, Detroit did produce some National Champions, and Olympian cyclists in that era, including Sheila Young who I found out later grew up in my neighborhood. I however, followed the touring path in the 1970's. I recall that the AYH put out a book listing various rides around the country, including cross country, and I spent many hours imagining those rides (and did a cross country tour in 1977).
As others have reported, my sense and memory of the boom was it was driven by teens and college students and more as a utilitarian alternative to cars for campus and in urban locales
My wife and I crossed the country in 1977 from LA to Washington DC. Some of the now-old-fashioned elements as I recall:

Hairnet helmets, woolen bike shorts, jogging suits for colder weather, toe clips, paper maps, phone booths for calls; sent post cards; for cash we used travelers checks and had money orders wired to us at various post offices. We were not into photography, so instead of an SLR film camera, we had a Kodak Instamatic.

To track mileage we had a mechanical odometer with a metallic striker affixed to a spoke. For lights we used those strap on D-cell battery powered lights with a front yellow and rear red lenses.

We rode Merciers, model not recalled, with sew-up tires and fully loaded rear panniers (not recommended)…
Originally Posted by BigAura
I was backpacker in the 60's & 70's. In 1978 I heard about bicycle touring and became intrigued. I saved up and purchased a full Kirkland pannier set for my ParisSport 10-speed.

In May 1979 I quit my job and hit-the-road. For a little more than three months I rode up & down the eastern US.

Originally Posted by edthesped
Lovin the Daisy Dukes!! Ahh the 70's... Please don't ever let the 70's styles return.

81 was my first tour, Bavaria, and if I remember correctly I rode in jeans or maybe even Daisy Dukes myself.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-20 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added my direct reply to Kenzo1979
Old 05-09-20, 06:07 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
When I read this title, I thought maybe someone had a mishap with their crabon bike...
Crabon assplodes.