Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Forks and Head-set fit ?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 10:58 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

My only bike right now has had a small crack in the frame, a steel fixie -conversion, recently I noticed the very old 1/4 crack
has finally grown a bit to about 1/2" with all the angsty-miles I've put on it lately...
The crack hadn't really changed for about 8 years.

"My nice bike is at home" or let's just say: I am not anywhere near where I keep my nice bike r/n so I am stuck with an ever-growing cracked frame for the duration.
..I will probably have it repaired someday, it wont get better on its own. With the thought in mind that it could get worse really quickly,
I picked up a 'vintage' Leader 725 frame (tho w/o forks) The idea is to quickly build it up and get on the road, was a cheap c/list find, only a mile away!
Easy transaction, on a whim, (or a moment of complete clarity or insanity,) It is really not a flavor or shape I am used to.
Which forks fit this frame? Looks like it calls for an integrated 1 5/8" headset (?)...maybe and forks which have a 28mm rake, right? School me.
All the other parts are there or I can transfer over from the flawed frame. Any help is appreciated. Be safe.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 05-10-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 09:07 AM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
what year is it? older 725's take regular 1-1/8" forks but newer models (i think post 2015) have a tapered 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" head tube. Im pretty sure they're designed for 28-35mm rake so you should be ok with most forks in that regard.

quick google search:
1-1/8" to 1-1/8"
https://www.leaderbikesusa.com/colle...28111003648093
1-1/8" to 1-1/2" https://www.leaderbikesusa.com/colle...28074409066589

edit: i think you'll need a zero stack headset as well

Last edited by acoustophile; 05-10-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 08:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Please Please Please do not wind up in the hospital just to run a cracked frame because of whatever reasons you want to give. The hospitals are overwhelmed and the risk of COVID-19 is high. Crack staying the same or not I wouldn't want to trust it especially right now in the middle of a crisis.

Same thing with the new bike. As far a new fork, do you have a straight or tapered steerer tube? If it is straight is it 1 1/8? If so the world is your oyster plenty of great options from full carbon to alloy steerer and carbon blades to steel forks. If it is tapered you still have plenty of options as that is the new standard for things but fewer steel options that are easily available. Maybe send us some info on the bike like model year or measurements and pictures?

If it were me I would look at Whisky Parts Co. they make some excellent full carbon forks at reasonable prices and great quality. Plus they know how to spell Whisky right and don't add a silly "e" which takes longer and prevents one from enjoying good scotch faster.
Old 05-11-20, 10:14 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Ha-thanks: Yes! on retiring the steel frame ASAP, totally don't want to visit the OR r/n.
Ordered NEW forks from Leader, non-tapered 1 1/8" x 1 1/8" , (not super cheap but not super expensive) I would like to KEEP the factory headset cups in place ( they are still there )
Top bearing which was in there reads:
TH Industries 1 -1/8"
ACB 36 x 45 873#

bottom bearing is missing, but was probably the same as this one works on top or bottom.
I believe this is what FSA uses, that is my first guess anyway, that the bike originally came with an FSA headset...
going to be interesting to ride such a weird-looking, purpose-built machine..

I could get the serial number off th bottom bracket-shell, might be able to pin point the build year that way? I am guessing this is from 2014 or onward..

Last edited by kraftwerk; 05-11-20 at 07:02 PM.