Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2019 Allez track bike build help

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 11:33 AM
KENT623

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I just purchased a specialized 2019 Allez sprint track frame, red hook LTD. Single speed set up.
I need help building this bike. I'm not trying to go too crazy with expensive parts. Can I get a few suggestions on bike parts?
I'm still waiting for the frame to be delivered.
I already got the wheel set, bullhorn handle bars, bar tape and seat.

Most important thing is I need to get the bottom bracket and crank set.
What kind of Bottom bracket does this frame use? The specs only say threaded bottom bracket adapter.
Old 05-09-20, 12:48 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
What is the budget on the rest of the build?
Old 05-09-20, 01:22 PM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
What is the budget on the rest of the build?
Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna say less than $500. I don't want to put a cheap/too expensive BB and crank set.
But first I need to know what kind of BB this frame takes. The specs only say "THREADED BB ADAPTER".
Old 05-09-20, 04:56 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Ok, took a look and the frame uses Specialized’s OSBB (oversized bottom bracket), which I am unfamiliar with.
Gonna do a little research.
Maybe, in the interim, someone that is familiar with it will see the thread and chime in.

Beautiful frame and paint btw.
Old 05-09-20, 05:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
The frame uses an adaptor for a standard BSA threaded BB. They are neat bikes, one of my co-workers built up one with Dura Ace Track components and the same PRO Sprint Stem and Cavendish bars, it looks nice. Of course he has different wheels that are hand-built and lovely. Do the bike up right don't be super cheap on it go for the gold.
Old 05-09-20, 06:48 PM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
Ok, took a look and the frame uses Specialized’s OSBB (oversized bottom bracket), which I am unfamiliar with.
Gonna do a little research.
Maybe, in the interim, someone that is familiar with it will see the thread and chime in.

Beautiful frame and paint btw.
Thanks for the info that helps a lot. And yea the paint on the frame looks fire! Hopefully other people will see this thread and help out.
Old 05-09-20, 07:02 PM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! What type of BB should I be looking at? and Do you have any crank set suggestions?

Also, Just read this on google. "Depends what frame you're looking at, OSBB = over size bb, it can be either BB30 or PF30. They both use the same cranks, however the actual bearing shell are slightly different in size."
Any crank set I get will fit either BB's? I'm asking because I want to order the parts ASAP. Due to the pandemic everything takes longer to ship and receive.
Old 05-09-20, 07:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by KENT623
Thanks for the reply! What type of BB should I be looking at? and Do you have any crank set suggestions?

Also, Just read this on google. "Depends what frame you're looking at, OSBB = over size bb, it can be either BB30 or PF30. They both use the same cranks, however the actual bearing shell are slightly different in size."
Any crank set I get will fit either BB's? I'm asking because I want to order the parts ASAP. Due to the pandemic everything takes longer to ship and receive.
The BB is dependent on your crank. The actual shell has an adaptor for BSA bottom brackets as Track cranks have generally been threaded so the normal OSBB wouldn't make much sense. I would go with Dura Ace to match what the team runs but baring that I would probably stick with my favorite the Sugino 75DD. If I was looking at some budget cranks the Andel Deluxe is also external bb so similar to the Sugino DD crank or a Hollowtech II crank, however I would upgrade the chainring to a Sugino Zen or 75 or Dura Ace.
Old 05-12-20, 06:55 PM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The BB is dependent on your crank. The actual shell has an adaptor for BSA bottom brackets as Track cranks have generally been threaded so the normal OSBB wouldn't make much sense. I would go with Dura Ace to match what the team runs but baring that I would probably stick with my favorite the Sugino 75DD. If I was looking at some budget cranks the Andel Deluxe is also external bb so similar to the Sugino DD crank or a Hollowtech II crank, however I would upgrade the chainring to a Sugino Zen or 75 or Dura Ace.
Just a little background, I'm not familiar with all the lingo. I used to ride a lot. Rode fixies for years. I loved it! But that was a while back. What I'm really confused about is the bottom brackets and crank sets and the compatibility. I just need to know what kind of BB I need and cranks that will fit with it.

I was looking at a few crank sets.
Miche pistard 2.0 or the Miche pistard AIR.
Sugino messenger
SRAM Omnium.
The DURA ACE looks sick but out of my price range by a lot.
What do you think?
Old 05-12-20, 08:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Just a little background, I'm not familiar with all the lingo. I used to ride a lot. Rode fixies for years. I loved it! But that was a while back. What I'm really confused about is the bottom brackets and crank sets and the compatibility. I just need to know what kind of BB I need and cranks that will fit with it.

I was looking at a few crank sets.
Miche pistard 2.0 or the Miche pistard AIR.
Sugino messenger
SRAM Omnium.
The DURA ACE looks sick but out of my price range by a lot.
What do you think?

Pick your crank first. That will determine your bottom bracket.
If I had to choose from your list I would probably go with Miche cranks as I already have a B.B. as it is a 24mm spindle so uses an easy to find bottom bracket in high quality. Though I have used the Sugino Messenger and have had zero issues. The SRAM crank is ugly ATMO and their own B.B. sucks but there are other options for SRAM compatible B.B.s and conversions.
Old 05-12-20, 08:54 PM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pick your crank first. That will determine your bottom bracket.
If I had to choose from your list I would probably go with Miche cranks as I already have a B.B. as it is a 24mm spindle so uses an easy to find bottom bracket in high quality. Though I have used the Sugino Messenger and have had zero issues. The SRAM crank is ugly ATMO and their own B.B. sucks but there are other options for SRAM compatible B.B.s and conversions.
My top pick is the Miche pistard air. Which BB do I get?
Second pick would be the pistard 2.0. Which BB do I get?
Third pick is the Sugino messenger. Which BB do I get?

Just so I have options. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate.
Old 05-12-20, 09:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

My top pick is the Miche pistard air. Which BB do I get?
Second pick would be the pistard 2.0. Which BB do I get?
Third pick is the Sugino messenger. Which BB do I get?

Just so I have options. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate.
For the Miche cranks you need a 24mm bottom bracket that is BSA threaded. Shimano, Chris King, Wheels MFG (my general choice for BBs), Race Face, Hope, Phil Wood, Promax, Enduro, CeramicSpeed, Kogel...So many options.

For Sugino Messenger you need a 68x103mm JIS Sqaure Taper which are also easy to find (though a touch tougher in 103mm length) but my choice would be the IRD QB-95 which is super smooth and great quality. Sugino also makes one for the messenger cranks and I have seen others.
Old 05-13-20, 08:43 AM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the Miche cranks you need a 24mm bottom bracket that is BSA threaded. Shimano, Chris King, Wheels MFG (my general choice for BBs), Race Face, Hope, Phil Wood, Promax, Enduro, CeramicSpeed, Kogel...So many options.

For Sugino Messenger you need a 68x103mm JIS Sqaure Taper which are also easy to find (though a touch tougher in 103mm length) but my choice would be the IRD QB-95 which is super smooth and great quality. Sugino also makes one for the messenger cranks and I have seen others.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!!!
Old 05-13-20, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!!!
No worries, good luck on the build and show photos when you are done!
Old 05-14-20, 07:54 PM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm deciding on the MICHE PISTARD AIR.
Will these work ?

MICHE EVO MAX (BBEMAB)-Bottom bracket cups MICHE Evo Max 1.37 "x 24tpi - BSA thread, pin 24mm

-Bottom bracket bearing cups MICHE Evo Max 1.37 "x 24tpi - BSA thread, 24mm axle

Will this BB fit on my frame?

Yea for sure I'm gonna post pics here for this thread. Once I get through the crank and BB challenge lol...
Old 05-14-20, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I'm deciding on the MICHE PISTARD AIR.
Will these work ?

MICHE EVO MAX (BBEMAB)-Bottom bracket cups MICHE Evo Max 1.37 "x 24tpi - BSA thread, pin 24mm

-Bottom bracket bearing cups MICHE Evo Max 1.37 "x 24tpi - BSA thread, 24mm axle

Will this BB fit on my frame?

Yea for sure I'm gonna post pics here for this thread. Once I get through the crank and BB challenge lol...
Yes as stated several times earlier any BSA 24mm bottom bracket should work fine. this is a Miche product designed with that crank in mind.
Old 05-14-20, 08:23 PM
KENT623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes as stated several times earlier any BSA 24mm bottom bracket should work fine. this is a Miche product designed with that crank in mind.
Sorry if I'm repeating myself. Just don't want to order the wrong parts. Thanks!
Old 05-14-20, 09:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Sorry if I'm repeating myself. Just don't want to order the wrong parts. Thanks!
You are going to be fine. Take a deep breath and relax.