Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I don’t want to shred! Older guy here.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-28-19, 06:51 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Bikes: Trek FX 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts

Just want to take it easy and have some fun. Will be doing most of my rides on mostly flat roads like in these pics.
I have a Trek FX2 Disk with 700x38mm tires, it does ok on these roads but I am thinking about getting a second bike dedicated to off road. Do you think Trek Marlin 6 or 7 would work out ok for this type of riding ?

Likes For willbuyone:
Old 09-29-19, 08:44 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
A Marlin 6 or 7 should handle that easily, and a lot more.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-29-19, 08:55 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Ugh that washboard will not be fun on any hard tail. From the other pictures your FX should handle those roads, let alone something with front suspension and tires over two inches wide.

Get ready to get a knee workout standing on the pedals over that washboard
Old 09-29-19, 09:43 AM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

[QUOTE=GrainBrain;21142860]Ugh that washboard will not be fun on any hard tail. From the other pictures your FX should handle those roads, let alone something with front suspension and tires over two inches wide.

Get ready to get a knee workout standing on the pedals over that washboard [/QUOTE

1 did this ride early this morning on my FX I think I may have raddled my brain lose. This time I took some trails that were closer to the ocean and got into some sand that was to deep for my 700x38mm and had to walk the bike for a short while. I think I could have made with a MTB but I am not sure.
Old 09-29-19, 10:10 AM
ckolacny

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like it could be Kansas....looks like good riding!
Old 09-29-19, 02:35 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by willbuyone
I did this ride early this morning on my FX I think I may have raddled my brain lose. This time I took some trails that were closer to the ocean and got into some sand that was to deep for my 700x38mm and had to walk the bike for a short while. I think I could have made with a MTB but I am not sure.
Oh yeah the Marlin will be a good improvement for this, sorry if I sounded snotty! I was thinking that this would be close to the comfortable limit of your FX so the Marlin would work even better.

I have a Giant Talon from 2011 that was pretty much specced exactly like a 2020 Marlin 7. Over the years I upgraded the drivetrain to 1x11 and swapped the old suntour coil shock for an air shock. By far the best upgrade was a set of Continental cross-king tires with the black chili compound.

I ride stuff pretty similar to you, probably 85% not technical. A combination of gravel and Urban pavement, snow in the winter. Our single track here is fast, flat flowy stuff along river greenbelts so you'll hit sand patches and such. I run 2.2" wide at around 32 psi.

If your looking at an $800 new Marlin I would highly encourage you to shop used. I picked up my Giant used, it was a year and a half old and I got it for half the price of new! I picked it up around 2013 for $580.
Old 09-29-19, 02:56 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Oh yeah the Marlin will be a good improvement for this, sorry if I sounded snotty! I was thinking that this would be close to the comfortable limit of your FX so the Marlin would work even better.

I have a Giant Talon from 2011 that was pretty much specced exactly like a 2020 Marlin 7. Over the years I upgraded the drivetrain to 1x11 and swapped the old suntour coil shock for an air shock. By far the best upgrade was a set of Continental cross-king tires with the black chili compound.

I ride stuff pretty similar to you, probably 85% not technical. A combination of gravel and Urban pavement, snow in the winter. Our single track here is fast, flat flowy stuff along river greenbelts so you'll hit sand patches and such. I run 2.2" wide at around 32 psi.

If your looking at an $800 new Marlin I would highly encourage you to shop used. I picked up my Giant used, it was a year and a half old and I got it for half the price of new! I picked it up around 2013 for $580.

I knew what you meant and thank you for your advice I am not in a hurry to buy another bike. I may look for a used bike. I have fun riding my FX on these type of roads and I have hundreds of them to choose from most of them do not have washboards or deep sand, think I am just trying to find an excuse to buy another bike !
Old 09-29-19, 03:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
You can play w tires maybe squeeze on some 40mm tires & adjust pressure to suit terrain. If you get hooked & start pushing the envelope & want to ride worse surfaces then get another bike. This sport us full of ppl upgrading then going n+1. Don’t ask me how I know
Old 09-29-19, 03:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Make surethat your dentures are firmly glued in before attempting that washboard.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 09-29-19, 03:56 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Make surethat your dentures are firmly glued in before attempting that washboard.
I am planning on upgrading my dentures as well as my bike !
Likes For willbuyone:
Old 09-29-19, 04:03 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
You can play w tires maybe squeeze on some 40mm tires & adjust pressure to suit terrain. If you get hooked & start pushing the envelope & want to ride worse surfaces then get another bike. This sport us full of ppl upgrading then going n+1. Don’t ask me how I know
I am running 700x33mm Bontrager LT3 60psi front and back in the dirt
. Do you think 40mm would help any ?
Old 09-29-19, 04:20 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Using those tires you shouldn't have any problems on those roads.

Old 09-29-19, 07:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
get used to it, make some tweaks, or swap bikes . personal choice, good luck w yours. but yeah, if you're really uncomfortable, I would try a wider tire, w/ a little more volume, hopefully 40mm tires would fit, (my Trek FX Alpha 7.0 can fit 40s but not 45s), smoother tread & higher TPI, run the front 5-10 psi lower than the rear, your 60psi is 20psi under the max pressure so not much more you can do w the rear pressure but maybe you can ride the front at 50psi or even 40 psi?

you've got 38mm tires. were they stock OEM on the bike? 40mm isn't much bigger, but diff tires might still help. fwiw I love having a 29er style MTB even for easy roads like this. my cheap front suspension doesn't hurt either. can you borrow a bike before you spend money? that would be ideal, to try a diff. bike on the exact roads you like

found this pic from Sat of my front tire (29 x 2.25) at maybe 25psi? finding the right pressure for the terrain you're riding. is trial & error

I know I pumped my rear to 30 psi before heading out. I think both front & rear were good for what I was riding

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-30-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 09:27 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
That's a fantastic road to ride. A Marlin 6 or 7 is surely geared for that surface. And about the washboard.... The only way that washboard surface would be "uncomfortable" to the rider is by riding it fast. The OP's title to this thread mentions that "He Doesn't Want To Shred." That's how I ride. And it's extremely enjoyable. To me.

Compare the Trek Marlin range to the Giant Talon range. My Talon is a 29er and I'll never go back to anything smaller.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 09-30-19, 02:14 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Thanks for all useful help, knowledge, advice. I have decided to go ahead and buy a MTB with 29” tires not sure what model yet maybe a Trek Marlin 6 or an X-Caliber 7 but most likely Trek because they have a card that is same as cash for 6 months or 1 year depending on purchase price.
Old 09-30-19, 03:58 PM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I have a 2020 Trek Marlin 6 and ride roads similar to those. It is fun. I ride about 10 miles.
Old 09-30-19, 04:11 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
I ride my 2019 Trek Marlin 7 on similar surfaces but I go fairly slow. The bike is very capable.
Old 09-30-19, 04:55 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Originally Posted by rodgeman
I have a 2020 Trek Marlin 6 and ride roads similar to those. It is fun. I ride about 10 miles.
Thanks for your feedback I am leaning towards the Marlin 6 I will be 70 in November of this year and don’t plan on any hard riding or jumping ! I am pleased that 2020 has 2 chain rings in the front instead of 3. This bike should be a good fit for what I want do and that is ride along side of the Pacific Ocean. Not this bike but the Marlin 6 or 7 !

Last edited by willbuyone; 09-30-19 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For willbuyone:
Old 09-30-19, 04:58 PM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

Originally Posted by spinconn
I ride my 2019 Trek Marlin 7 on similar surfaces but I go fairly slow. The bike is very capable.
Thanks for the info I will be taking it easy and just enjoying the view.
Old 09-30-19, 09:40 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Consider getting a thudbuster post and suspension stem. Takes a little edge off for not a lot of money. Also high volume tires at a lower pressure would also do the same.
Old 09-30-19, 10:25 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
I went with a fat bike and am having much more fun than I ever did with my MTB. No shredding involved
Old 09-30-19, 11:27 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Where is that? Looks pretty amazing!! When I was younger I used to ride in Santa Cruz and there was a ride overlooking the ocean.
Old 10-01-19, 08:40 AM
willbuyone
Old Newbie

I am going borrow my brothers Marlin with 29s and give it a try on these roads before I decide to buy new MTB
Old 10-01-19, 09:19 AM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ckolacny
Looks like it could be Kansas....looks like good riding!
You have an ocean in Kansas?
Old 10-01-19, 11:56 AM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by willbuyone
I am going borrow my brothers Marlin with 29s and give it a try on these roads before I decide to buy new MTB
Also check with your bike shop. They might rent one to you to try out. Mine does and they would put the rental cost towards a new bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.