Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi ID of the day!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi ID of the day!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 06:29 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Bianchi ID of the day!

Ran across a Bianchi listed not too far away but don’t know enough details. Not really that interested in buying but you never know! Thought it might be a nice Saturday isolation escape and maybe something someone else wants to chase.

What is obvious (depending how the picture quality comes over):
  • Chromed rear triangle
  • Vertical dropouts
  • No chrome on fork

What I don’t know/speculate:
  • Decals look like early/mid 90s? Not a lot of great catalog scans I could find to really confirm
  • Appears to maybe be a Veloce rear derailleur? Could be a replacement...
  • Asked about size... will add if I get it
  • Asked about tubing decal (someone may know from the color?)... will add if I get it

Anyone else discern any details? If anyone can’t live without this steel steed here’s the posting link, but note the posting may be old and it’s in a CoronaVirus hotspot in Eagle County, CO: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1714275590729/
Old 03-21-20, 07:16 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I think it is a ‘93ish SBX frame but the fork doesn’t match it is older.

These frames came both built and frame only. Will the seller confirm tubing type?

Update, My assessment of an SBX is based on the color of the Columbus decal coupled with the vertical droputs and chrome stays. The SBX and TSX were the only frames with chrome and a red Columbus decal available, most of the other were NivaChrome frames. Since the SBX was already pushing $800 for a frame I suspect there is a greater suply of them on the streets and this is very likely one. SBX was offered from '92 until '94 and shown in the Bianchi USA catalogs as well as the '93 Reparto Corse catalog as F/F only or with an Ultegra group. As a noted the fork certainly appears to be from an early '80s model.

In the event the seller says it is TSX it might very well be worth the $300 but I think the frame looks a bit ragged or is it just the pic?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 03-21-20 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-21-20, 08:28 AM
AJI125 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I think it is a ‘93ish SBX frame but the fork doesn’t match it is older.

These frames came both built and frame only. Will the seller confirm tubing type?

Update, My assessment of an SBX is based on the color of the Columbus decal coupled with the vertical droputs and chrome stays. The SBX and TSX were the only frames with chrome and a red Columbus decal available, most of the other were NivaChrome frames. Since the SBX was already pushing $800 for a frame I suspect there is a greater suply of them on the streets and this is very likely one. SBX was offered from '92 until '94 and shown in the Bianchi USA catalogs as well as the '93 Reparto Corse catalog as F/F only or with an Ultegra group. As a noted the fork certainly appears to be from an early '80s model.

In the event the seller says it is TSX it might very well be worth the $300 but I think the frame looks a bit ragged or is it just the pic?
Always a wealth of knowledge, thanks! I still have a 1990 Giro to work on when done with the current bike in the stand, I better pass. But if I get more info on size and tubing from the seller I’ll post it here and in the eBay/Craigslist thread if anyone is interested. As far as the photo, it’s only one on the posting, but it does look a little rough especially the top tube.
Old 03-21-20, 09:00 AM
AJI125 

Seller thinks it’s a 53, said it fit his 5’3” ex. TSX tubing. Have fun if it works for anyone! Will cross post on eBay/Craigslist thread.

Old 03-21-20, 09:18 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by AJI125
Seller thinks it’s a 53, said it fit his 5’3” ex. TSX tubing. Have fun if it works for anyone! Will cross post on eBay/Craigslist thread.

Now I wish it was my size!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-21-20, 10:54 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
53cm C-C maybe, but it looks like the same geometry and proportions as my 55cm C-T Bianchi.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069