Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Indoor Trainers under $500

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 03-21-20, 10:57 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I know absolutely nothing of indoor trainers, and until now, have never been remotely interested (I live in SoCal where it's year-round riding). But now I'm starting to think it could be good to have one for obvious reasons....

Any suggestions for a decent trainer under $500? or even, around the $300 range? I see there's quite a lot out there, like something like this: https://www.jensonusa.com/Saris-1028...Smart-Equipped

If anyone has a budget trainer they're happy with I'd love to hear about it. The bike I'd be using is my Kona Rove ST.

Thanks.

EDIT: just read this review--sounds good, price is right: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...mart-2-review/

Last edited by pbass; 03-21-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-21-20, 12:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I can't speak to all the brands but if you get a name brand or highly regarded type you will have no issues. I have the Kurt kinetic smart trainer and after 3 years am still very pleased with it.

They are a good product. A buddy has a wahoo something or other and its a nice unit too. Watch your local cragslist adds, they are always there. Only suggestion I will say is stay away from a magneto version if you can. Get a fluid at the very least for certain. You will like it much more.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-21-20, 02:46 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I can't speak to all the brands but if you get a name brand or highly regarded type you will have no issues. I have the Kurt kinetic smart trainer and after 3 years am still very pleased with it.

They are a good product. A buddy has a wahoo something or other and its a nice unit too. Watch your local cragslist adds, they are always there. Only suggestion I will say is stay away from a magneto version if you can. Get a fluid at the very least for certain. You will like it much more.
Thanks! Magneto vs. fluid--I will research that!
Old 03-21-20, 02:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by pbass
Thanks! Magneto vs. fluid--I will research that!
the levels of base to highend are kind of this order...

1. wind, cheapest little resistance.
2. Magneto, usually has a little shifter cabled to the trainer that lets you control the resistance.
3. Fluid, as you ride the fluid create more resistance and you can puta heavier flywheel to create more weight.
4. Smart trainer (wheel on the bike) has controls to add/lesson resistance. A must for Zwifting or like programs really IMO
5. Direct drive, wheel off the bike and you connect your drive train right to the trainer. Great trainers but very spendy.

prices vary but they start at $100ish for wind/magneto. Fluid start around $250+. Smart trainers are usually $500+ and direct driver are around $1000+. These numbers are exact but it gives you an idea of the ranges. I might be bit off, been a few years since I have priced them.

good luck.
Old 03-21-20, 05:42 PM
pbass

Thanks everybody. The Kurt Kinetic 2 is looking like it ticks the boxes pretty well: https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...achine-smart-2
Likes For pbass:
Old 03-21-20, 08:08 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
It's not clear to me from the description of that kurt trainer if it allows the software (e.g., zwift) to control the resistance. That's a feature that I think is essential if you're bothering to get a smart trainer. I've got a tacx vortex that was pretty cheap ($300 shipped from the uk to the usa in December) that is controlled by the software. I'm enjoying it a lot and even bought one for one of my daughters.
Old 03-22-20, 08:53 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by pbass
Thanks everybody. The Kurt Kinetic 2 is looking like it ticks the boxes pretty well: https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...achine-smart-2
that is a great trainer. You can zwift with that all day long! No need to do anything else to get going. Kurt is my brand and they are great IMO. Made in Minnesota too.

One thing, put a mat of some sort under your bike. cheap yoga mat is fine or just a towel. Don't forget to raise the front wheel of your bike with a phone book or something. You can get a riser block but a book works just as well. I use the Kurt swivel block and really like that but very much a luxury.
Old 03-22-20, 08:56 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Marylander
It's not clear to me from the description of that kurt trainer if it allows the software (e.g., zwift) to control the resistance. That's a feature that I think is essential if you're bothering to get a smart trainer. I've got a tacx vortex that was pretty cheap ($300 shipped from the uk to the usa in December) that is controlled by the software. I'm enjoying it a lot and even bought one for one of my daughters.
your correct, when I got mine it was $600 I think. It was a spendy deal. That is a lot of money to spend on a trainer, was for me. Probably on sale right now with the state of the world but yeah. I would love to upgrade to a direct drive someday with the amount of time I spend on it but simply can't afford it.
Old 03-23-20, 06:57 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm on my 4th season of using a Wahoo Kickr SNAP wheel-on trainer, no problems. Sneaks in right at the $500 mark, works great with Zwift and everything else I've tried.

Wheel off trainers have high end advantages, wheel off working find for me.