Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 03:43 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
maybe a different stem for a few more grams ?
I actually spent over an hour weighing my entire stem collection before selecting this BF stem, so no, I'm afraid not.

I did change the bottom bracket this afternoon. My cheap digital kitchen scales were not cooperating and kept giving me different weights, but I think I must have saved at least 20 grams there.

I am in two minds about the pedals. The Miche Competitions I have on there now are already pretty light at 342 grams, really smooth and look great. I have a pair of Mikashima AR-2's that may be a few grams lighter, but don't look as nice as the Miches.

Another thing I am going to have a look at tomorrow are the chainrings. I may be able to cobble together a set of TA rings that will at least look lighter.

Old 05-20-20, 03:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by scarlson
What seatpost do you have on there? American Classic posts can be had from Ebay for short money in many different sizes, and weigh under 175g. None of mine have broken ...yet.
A 71g Birmalux.

The 134g steel saddle clamp almost ruins the effect, though, but the combination is still lighter than everything else I have available in the correct 27.2mm size. Next best in my box is a Triplex aero at 245g.

And for now I am limiting my options to what I have available in my bins. I want a free weight weenie cycling vacation special.

Old 05-20-20, 04:55 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
At this/these price point(s), probably easier to just heavy-up the other touring participants.

"Toulouse, those 4 panniers are so well designed they can each fit a bottle of wine so nicely."
"Henri, we could easily fit everyone's lunch in that elegant saddle TRUNK."
"Margaret, the luncheon tent is lightweight and just fits that lovely rear rack"
I will tidy up here, and follow Quickly from behind with a spare tube or two.
Old 05-20-20, 05:08 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I enjoy a good lithe-looking tall frame, especially if it rides as such. Such a purity of experience. 10 kg, to me, is a nice weight to attain on larger frames because it's light enough where you can feel it without the extreme measures and potential compromise of full steel at 20 lbs or less (if you can do it).

Somehow I took my 63cm (should be a 64cm due to the 1cm top tube drop from front to rear) Battaglin frameset with it's crummy welded rear dropout, heavy and chromed unicrown fork, not-weight-weenie stem, and boat anchor Shimano 600/Campy Atlanta '96 wheelset (2200g+!) and came out with a 21.5 lb bike as pictured. That had me laughing a bit. Yeah, it's got a ton of Dura-Ace (10-speed) on it, but there are big heavy pieces on it that serve to undermine any obtained weight savings of the components.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-20-20, 05:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
A 71g Birmalux.

The 134g steel saddle clamp almost ruins the effect, though, but the combination is still lighter than everything else I have available in the correct 27.2mm size. Next best in my box is a Triplex aero at 245g.

And for now I am limiting my options to what I have available in my bins. I want a free weight weenie cycling vacation special.
you could always be open to donations....but I don't think i have anything that will help

Old 05-20-20, 06:06 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Another beauty. Congrats!

It wouldn't be free, but if you swap out the original Bluemel fender stays for some 6061 rod, it would save quite a few grams. If polished up the appearance would be nearly identical.
Old 05-20-20, 06:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
2.2 lbs/kilo = 22 lbs
Under two English stones would be OK for 25" lugged steel frame, vintage components, clinchers, fenders - but to beat it by over 3 pounds including a kilo in pedals is internationally baffling.
Old 05-21-20, 04:02 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Under two English stones would be OK for 25" lugged steel frame, vintage components, clinchers, fenders - but to beat it by over 3 pounds including a kilo in pedals is internationally baffling.
Stones, eh?

Had to look that up. Can now safely say that all of my bikes weigh exactly 2 stone.

Old 05-21-20, 04:09 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Another beauty. Congrats!

It wouldn't be free, but if you swap out the original Bluemel fender stays for some 6061 rod, it would save quite a few grams. If polished up the appearance would be nearly identical.
Thanks! And an interesting suggestion, that I will look into. I think I actually may have some aluminum stays. I'll see if I can locate them and if they would somehow fit. They wrap around the fender, IIRC.

Old 05-21-20, 04:21 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

you could always be open to donations....but I don't think i have anything that will help
Thank you for the suggestion. "Free" is a relative term here, and only applies if I choose to not take sunk costs into account. (And I have certainly sunk some costs into that parts bin over the years. )

No, this is not so much about money as it is about the fun of seeing what I can do with regular vintage parts that were readily available BITD, and have somehow found their way into my home.

Old 05-21-20, 02:34 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Right. This is where I am now. Different (and somewhat lighter) bottom bracket and saddle. And I switched the damaged white Bluemels for a better-looking set of black ones. I liked the white, but not the haphazard fender line they provided, not to mention the cracks.

My digital scales went on the blink, so I had to revert to my original mechanical scales, which say it now weighs just under 9.5 kgs. Given its optimism, which I calculated at about 450 grams, I would say 9.9 real kgs would be a safe estimate.

The saddle is a "Super Coureur", suggested by devinfan a few years ago. I have a 65k ride planned for tomorrow, so after that I'll know if his reviews are worth anything.

So I have about 100 grams left for a bottle cage (TA, 44g), bar tape and plugs.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-21-20, 02:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Right. This is where I am now. Different (and somewhat lighter) bottom bracket and saddle. And I switched the damaged white Bluemels for a better-looking set of black ones. I liked the white, but not the haphazard fender line they provided, not to mention the cracks.

My digital scales went on the blink, so I had to revert to my original mechanical scales, which say it now weighs just under 9.5 kgs. Given its optimism, which I calculated at about 450 grams, I would say 9.9 real kgs would be a safe estimate.

The saddle is a "Super Coureur", suggested by devinfan a few years ago. I have a 65k ride planned for tomorrow, so after that I'll know if his reviews are worth anything.

So I have about 100 grams left for a bottle cage (TA, 44g), bar tape and plugs.
super nice

and like i like the clean lines....good reason for Mrs. non fixie to have the racks and carry the gear

Old 05-21-20, 04:13 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

super nice

and like i like the clean lines....good reason for Mrs. non fixie to have the racks and carry the gear
Thanks!

I just added the bottle cage and about 25 grams of Velox tape and bar end plugs. And a saddle bag, as this saddle actually has bag loops. So I'll be carrying my own lunch tomorrow.

Old 05-21-20, 08:19 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Looks much better with those black Bluemels, that makes quite a nice looking bike there. Perhaps a new Cover-19, Phase II challenge build is upcoming , based on this pattern and weight goal.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 05-22-20, 09:59 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Took the Jonkers out for a 55km shakedown ride today. The weather was nice when we left, but soon the temperature dropped, the wind increased and it started to rain. The fenders came in handy, the shorts and polo shirts less so.

The trip involved a couple of ferry trips, which always adds to the sense of occasion for me.

The Jonkers behaved beautifully. I'd almost forgotten how nice a light skinny-tired bike can be. Together with the thin bar tape and hard saddle those tires really make you feel connected to the bike and to the road. A slightly less comfortable perhaps, but definitely more involving experience, compared to my other "touring" bikes.

I need to think about next steps. Part of me (head, eyes and hands) wants to keep it as it is now, but another part would very much like its well-worn Brooks back. The Super Coureur saddle is better than I feared it would be, but it is hard. Fine for a day trip or a single event, but a two week cycling vacation on that saddle is a somewhat daunting prospect.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-22-20, 03:31 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
10kg - that's about 9 pounds - right?
​​​​​​
...no....

kg * 2.2 = lbs

22 lbs
Old 05-22-20, 04:11 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
2.2 lbs/kilo = 22 lbs

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
​​​​​​
...no....

kg * 2.2 = lbs

22 lbs

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 05-22-20, 04:50 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I like the build! Are you using alumin(i)um toe clips? MKS GR-9 (mini-platform) pedals weigh about 300 g. I have a NOS set, if you'd care to trade something. Also, they're a great deal to buy outright, about $27 here in the US. Work perfectly with clips and straps.
Old 05-23-20, 04:26 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I like the build! Are you using alumin(i)um toe clips? MKS GR-9 (mini-platform) pedals weigh about 300 g. I have a NOS set, if you'd care to trade something. Also, they're a great deal to buy outright, about $27 here in the US. Work perfectly with clips and straps.
Thanks! The Miche Competition pedals I've currently mounted weigh 342g, including (steel) clips and straps. Not much to gain there, methinks. But thank you for the offer, much appreciated!

Your post did make me look into current MKS offerings, and I noticed they still make beautiful pedals. I need to think of an excuse to buy a pair of those RX-1's ...

Old 05-23-20, 04:32 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Got me some new scales today, hoping these will be reliable and accurate.

Even with a 20g allowance for the strap, the result was a bit disappointing:

Old 05-24-20, 03:34 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Out went the SunTour Cyclone derailleurs, and in came a Huret Jubilee set I'd been keeping in the top drawer for a special project. Decided this was it.

Which meant I could also use the Ofmega Mistral shifters, which weigh just half as much as the Simplex Rétrofriction items.

From the bottom drawer - where I keep the ugly stuff that isn't bad or broken enough to throw out without feeling guilty - came another plastic saddle. Not pretty, but at 217g it is a whopping 28g lighter than the Super Coureur.

Now at 10.13kg ....

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-24-20, 04:09 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
WARNING!!! Your on a slippery slope here. So let me help you on your trip to weight weenie land. You can build a really light Stronglight 105 if you look for the early 70's BIS version with the flutes on the bask of the crank arms. these had additional machine work beyond the additional flutes. Stronglight also made a sealed bearing titanium bottom bracket which is installed on the 105 in the photo.

: Mike
Old 05-25-20, 04:38 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
WARNING!!! Your on a slippery slope here. So let me help you on your trip to weight weenie land. You can build a really light Stronglight 105 if you look for the early 70's BIS version with the flutes on the bask of the crank arms. these had additional machine work beyond the additional flutes. Stronglight also made a sealed bearing titanium bottom bracket which is installed on the 105 in the photo.

Ow! That is really nice! If I hadn't promised myself that I wouldn't buy anything especially for this build, this would be very high on my list.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-25-20, 05:08 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Hurrah!

I was about to give up on trying to reach the 10kg mark, as I suddenly realized today that the one thing I hadn't looked at yet was the freewheel. It already had a close ratio cog set, but with seven cogs (tsk, tsk), so I weighed all the freewheels I could find, and mounted the lightest.

Weighed it again. 10.01 kg!

For the remaining 10 grams I snipped off all remaining cable ends, and yes, bingo! A 10kg 25" fendered 10-speed touring bike:

I managed to take it out just before dark for a short celebration ride. Its current gearing means its use will be limited to the local flat country, and I'd forgotten to properly adjust the saddle, but other than that I like it a lot. Definitely a keeper.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-25-20, 06:00 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Ow! That is really nice! If I hadn't promised myself that I wouldn't buy anything especially for this build, this would be very high on my list.
Congratulation on making 10 Kg, Your bike looks so good with the Stronglight 49 and the Jubilee mechs, I must confess I am very partial to those components. GREAT BUILD!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.