Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seriously, why is the crown race so hard to install?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 10:36 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

Like, there's no reason for the diameter to increase that muchamuch the bottom of the tube. Putting the crown race over the 1 1/8 steerer it already is fairly snug. Knocking it fairly hard doesn't get it down enough and what little I can get down the paint is rubbing off. It would make more sense to just trim some material off.

I'm afraid that in the process of installing the crown race I'm going to crack the fork.
Old 05-24-20, 10:41 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You think that’s hard. Wait till you try to take it off.​​​​​​
Old 05-24-20, 10:47 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
If it's painted is it metal? If so take it to a good shop and have them cut the crown race to size, you might be screwing up the race. If carbon you can try sanding down the clear coat.
Old 05-24-20, 11:07 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
There shouldn't be paint on the crown at the race. I don't know carbon fiber but a steel fork should be bare metal. I trust that you know there are several IDs for fork crown races. If this is a 1" fork (traditional steel) there are the European ISO and the Japanese JIS standards. Not very different but enough. Also everything is built to tolerances. A fork that is pushing the max and a crown that is pushing the min will be a very tight fit. A bikeshop with the proper cutter can bring your fork to correct. Easy job, expensive tool. While there, the shop can also face the headset so the top and bottom are exactly parallel. This can make a big different in hol long the next will last.

Even if all is proper, crown races are a tight fit. Not a place you ever want play. And races go 5-20,000 miles with very little attention. Good tools make installation far easier. Search other threads for homemade tools from pipe and threaded rod from Home Depot or the like. I bought the Park headtube race remover for !$60 as I recall and spent maybe $25 for everything else at Home Depot and used hacksaw ans file to make the tools.

Ben

Edit: posted accidentally before finishing

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-24-20 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-24-20, 11:57 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
If you had the proper tool it'd take 10-15 seconds to hammer it into place on the fork. The old Nashbar used to sell one for $10 that worked great. Sometimes you can do it with a piece of galvanized pipe of the right size, but that can screw-up the bearing surface on the crown race.

Bigger 'grunt' for me was always the headset. I use the all-thread with washers and bolts method (easy to find on the internet). Buy the parts at Home Depot, Lowes, or similar. It's a 10 minute job in a bike shop, about 45-60 min at home using the all-thread method. MTB headtubes are thicker, takes more 'grunt' and force to get the headset seated correctly.
Old 05-24-20, 12:41 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Should be fine, just get a lot of lube, some pvc pipe with a similar diameter and a rubber mallet and give it a couple of love taps. Lube is mainly to stop it welding itself to the fork if water gets in.

I got my old race off by using a screwdriver and rubber mallet with a piece of bubble wrap over the end of the screwdriver and didn't damage the race or the fork.

Some of them are the split ring type of which I much prefer.
Old 05-24-20, 01:30 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Verify the diameter of crown race seat (on the fork) and the diameter of the crown race. There should be no paint on crown race seat. There should be no obvious clear coat on a carbon fork. Frame should have been prepped with a cutting tool and that would have removed any paint. Get this right. Whenever I work on old bikes it is wrong almost as often as right. Give people multiple “standard” sizes and they will make endless errors.

If you do not own a vernier caliper or do not know how to use one have the job done at a shop.
Old 05-24-20, 02:11 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
If you had the proper tool it'd take 10-15 seconds to hammer it into place on the fork. The old Nashbar used to sell one for $10 that worked great. Sometimes you can do it with a piece of galvanized pipe of the right size, but that can screw-up the bearing surface on the crown race.

Bigger 'grunt' for me was always the headset. I use the all-thread with washers and bolts method (easy to find on the internet). Buy the parts at Home Depot, Lowes, or similar. It's a 10 minute job in a bike shop, about 45-60 min at home using the all-thread method. MTB headtubes are thicker, takes more 'grunt' and force to get the headset seated correctly.
When I install a crown race without using the "proper" tool, I use an old crown race turned upside down resting on the new crownrace, to protect the new crown race bearing surface.

I also lube the area the new crown race is going on and also the inside of the head tube on the bicycle where the headset cups are going.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-24-20, 02:29 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
When I install a crown race without using the "proper" tool, I use an old crown race turned upside down resting on the new crownrace, to protect the new crown race bearing surface.

I also lube the area the new crown race is going on and also the inside of the head tube on the bicycle where the headset cups are going.

Cheers
That right there ^ and get some engine assembly lube.
Old 05-24-20, 03:05 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
That right there ^ and get some engine assembly lube.
I just use the same marine grease that I use on my bearings and on my pedal threads.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-24-20, 08:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I took my fork to the LBS to pull the crown race before I send the headset to Chris King to be overhauled. The LBS has the pricey but excellent Park tool for pulling the crown race safely. Took them a minute and they charged only $5, but I gave them $10. Great shop. I'll take the fork and frame back to the LBS after the overhauled headset arrives to let their mechanic use their proper press to install it.

However I did buy one of those inexpensive split-end metal tube doodads for $20 to remove the press fit headset. That's easy and safe. Doing the reverse without the proper tool? Not so easy.
Old 05-24-20, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
So hard? You just tap it on with the right tool it is generally quite easy. Unless you have the wrong crown race or you have excessive paint or something odd like that it should be fairly easy.