Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folder Spotting

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folder Spotting

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 12:27 AM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folder Spotting

I normally don't see folders out and about in use, with maybe 2-3 on a good day, but today was a new record at 5!
- first an all-black fold-in-half style electric bike with 26 inch wheels during my morning commute.
- then at lunch at Dahon Hammerhead (first I'd seen one in person, good looking bike) locked up
- then a red bike friday, NWT?, red with two yellow panniers on the front rack.
- then I saw a what appeared to be a brand new Montague. It rode by me quickly during my walk, but the double top tube caught my eye first before I saw the montague name.
- Now a bit of a stretch on my 5th "folding" spotting, but then I saw a co-motion with S&S couplers. It was an interesting bike. Drop bars, disc brakes, IGH, belt drive.

So nothing too exotic. Bike Friday and Brompton are common here and I also Normally I just see Dahon/tern. Did see a birdy once that threw me off. I think the only type of folder I have not seen in person that I'd like to is a Strida, but when I do I may stop the person and ask if I can test ride.
I didn't see any more on the way home sadly.
Anyway, it made my day.
Old 11-22-16, 04:33 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
On a good day I might see two Bromptons on my way to work. I wonder if some cities are conducive to folding bikes than others? Toronto with its plethora of small condos is a perfect environment for folding bikes but so far I don't see a huge increase. To me, this is an untapped market.
Old 11-22-16, 09:10 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have owned a bike shop and been in bike shops all over the western US. Almost never see folders.

Most bike shop mechanics and salesmen are into really fast and light---roadies, or really big suspension---

When I first brought folders into my shop (20 years ago) I was thinking my brothers friends who are all pilots would be a great market---nope they could not believe someone would spend $800 on a Bike. These guys had hundreds of thousands in their airplanes.

I had brought into the shop a couple of Montagues and a half dozen Dahons. It took a couple of years for them to sell so I never re ordered.

The pitch I would use now would be ---No car rack needed--or Ride when you get there---always ready for the ride--. The shop I sold to my son sells $800 to $1500 bikes like popcorn. In the last 15 years we had one Dahon in the shop---total--and that one got traded in on a mountain bike.

Fourknees, I am amazed I don't think I have seen 5 folding bikes being ridden in a ten year period.

I can see how a Folding only shop like Nyce can do well in a city.

I have seen the fold... I mean the Light.

Last edited by Rick Imby; 11-22-16 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Portland has a Brompton dealership, Burns and Grants Pass probably dont, Oregon is a big state ..

Eugene has a few Bike Manufacturers .. so does Portland.
Old 11-22-16, 11:53 AM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here in the north of England folders are not that common. I have never seen another Xootr Swift on the road and only the occasional Brompton. Local bike shops tend not to stock them even if they are supposed to be agents for a brand. I have only ever seen one Birdy in the flesh and that was over a year ago at the Tour of Britain near Alston - it wasn't in the race.

I bought my Swift via the internet with only a picture and forums like this to go on. In the UK cycling is seen as a sport or fitness activity, rather than a normal form of transport, so the dealers only stock what they know will sell.
Old 11-22-16, 12:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I'm starting to see more folders lately. Just a few bromptons, with people clearly out for fun rides and almost always older (maybe that's who can afford them). Dahons and Citizens for commuters going to work. Bike Fridays are often tandems with the family, although I saw my first haul-a-day yesterday, loaded to the brim with what looked like holiday grocery shopping. I've seen one Birdy, one Moulton, period. And one downtube. But definitely about twice as many as last year at this time =)
Old 11-22-16, 04:22 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Portland has a Brompton dealership, Burns and Grants Pass probably dont, Oregon is a big state ..

Eugene has a few Bike Manufacturers .. so does Portland.
I saw all the bikes in Astoria - just kidding, downtown Portland, mostly specifically near or on the paths on each side of the waterfront/east bank esplanade.

Once I got into folders, I figured I'd see more here given the Brompton dealerships, (there are two, but I don't think the one sells any although they talk highly of them and the same models are always in the shop), proximity to Bike Friday's HQ, the area's high use of bikes in general and public transit use - especially the light rail.

I know they are out there, because I have seen well more than five at events like Portland Sunday Parkways, but I don't count that as being "everyday" use.
Old 11-22-16, 05:06 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bikes for a lot of people are like diets. I have one and I am going to start riding it.... But they don't get a-round to it.
Old 11-22-16, 07:48 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
I spotted an Origami Crane on the LIRR today. The young lady was interested in another Origami bike, so I let her know about the upcoming Wasp 16" folder.
Old 11-23-16, 08:10 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
I spotted an Origami Crane on the LIRR today. The young lady was interested in another Origami bike, so I let her know about the upcoming Wasp 16" folder.
Thank you for spreading the news! We have the Wasp in the warehouse, but it is not on our website yet because we are in the middle of a website update. We have been riding them around the warehouse and their small size and responsive handling have been very fun for zipping around the wooden columns in our old tobacco warehouse (there are columns about every 20 feet).
Old 11-23-16, 08:45 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
Bikes for a lot of people are like diets. I have one and I am going to start riding it.... But they don't get a-round to it.
Ah, a bit like gym memberships then.
Old 11-23-16, 09:00 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Pinigis
Thank you for spreading the news! We have the Wasp in the warehouse, but it is not on our website yet because we are in the middle of a website update. We have been riding them around the warehouse and their small size and responsive handling have been very fun for zipping around the wooden columns in our old tobacco warehouse (there are columns about every 20 feet).
Please let me know when it's on the site,...and when you have a YouTube video up.
Old 11-23-16, 03:00 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Its very rare to see a any type of folder here, I have seen 1 folding bike in use (besides my own) it was a twenty year old Brompton
I see more retired folks on trikes, golf carts, DUIs riding two stroke powered bikes, on the sidewalks, than I do folding bikes.

Except by own, I commute everyday.
Old 11-23-16, 03:09 PM
Pinigis 

Please let me know when it's on the site,...and when you have a YouTube video up.
We should have this updated by Monday.
Old 11-23-16, 03:15 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a folder, but a small wheeler, a Moulton MkIII, bowling along the Kings Road and turning right by the town hall, looked like it was an everyday rider in well looked after condition, a rare sight.
Old 11-23-16, 03:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I never see them where I live, but saw a couple riding folders just a few minutes ago. I've seen a couple over the years around the university, but that was the first time I'd seen one in the more rural area near my house.
Old 11-23-16, 09:08 PM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In NYC we have a bunch of stores selling folding bikes. I've only seen a few Dahons during the last two years. I suspect when people see me riding my Hooligan they will never see another one ever again.
Old 11-24-16, 06:47 PM
Pinigis 

What is the LIRR?
Old 11-24-16, 06:51 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Pinigis
What is the LIRR?
The 'Long Island Rail Road' = LIRR,...
Old 11-26-16, 05:51 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
The 'Long Island Rail Road' = LIRR,...
So how did you vote, village or hamlet? My mother's in a village near the Bellerose station.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 11-26-16 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 01:22 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
So how did you vote, village or hamlet? My mother's in a village near the Bellerose station.
We decided to unincorporate. Taxes would be way too much, and services are very limited as it is. We should be back to being part of Brookhaven Township in 2 months or so.

And Bellerose station is close to where I had been living. Queens Village is the stop,...

When you come back to visit give me a heads up,... We'll see about a meet up.