Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 03:34 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I was wondering that same thing.
Old 11-22-16, 05:29 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
Jur, do you still have an extra TI frame for sale?
No I sold that one.

There is currently a group buy under way; it's beena few weeks since I heard anything. It is led by an acquaintance of Peter Reich, with Peter also bring a few buyers to the group. Not sure what the current status is. Anybody interested, and I will forward the details.
Old 11-22-16, 06:56 PM
12boy

Originally Posted by jur
No I sold that one.

There is currently a group buy under way; it's beena few weeks since I heard anything. It is led by an acquaintance of Peter Reich, with Peter also bring a few buyers to the group. Not sure what the current status is. Anybody interested, and I will forward the details.
I am interested. Since you did the first one I have acquired a Xootr Swift and have a much greater appreciation for Swifts than I had before I rode one.
Old 11-24-16, 01:36 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a steel framed Swift on U.K. eBay, a very rare occurrence, I might have a go myself :-

Swift Folder the Original Xootr Folding Bike | eBay
Old 11-24-16, 04:25 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
There is a steel framed Swift on U.K. eBay, a very rare occurrence, I might have a go myself :-

WooHoo!!! I'd go for it if I were across the pond.
Old 11-24-16, 06:03 PM
12boy

I would also. Looks very nice.
Old 11-24-16, 07:18 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100

Be aware that is not the steel one, it is aluminium.
Old 11-24-16, 07:52 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xootr Bikes Discontinued?

https://www.xootr.com/swift-folding-bicycles.html

Happened to look at the xootr site and it looks like the bikes are going to be discontinued.

It took me a second to even find the bike page, (under service). Looks like the current focus is on scooters.
Old 11-24-16, 08:03 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Here's a steel one in the SF Bay Area, CA.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/5882464073.html
Old 11-24-16, 08:53 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Here's a steel one in the SF Bay Area, CA.

collectible Swift Folder (original)
That's one of those special ones of which only 4 were ever made. Rarer than the Ti version!
Old 11-25-16, 02:03 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
Be aware that is not the steel one, it is aluminium.
It says it came direct from Peter Reich, so I assumed it was steel - did he make any aluminium framed Swifts ?

Had a response from the seller, yes it is aluminium.

So a Xootr rather than an original Swift it would seem.

Last edited by Diode100; 11-25-16 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-25-16, 05:51 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, Peter Reich worked with Xootr in sourcing custom Swifts using Xootr frames, usually painted black, and having the words "Swift Folder" rather than the Xootr logo. I also got one of those to replace my cracked frame. The steel version has slimmer tubing and a curved fork.
Old 11-27-16, 09:01 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Discontinued...

I just bought the single speed version maybe a day or two before they apparently discontinued the bike. I received my bike the day after Thanksgiving...

I've emailed Xootr about what it means for the frame warranty as well as replacement parts going forward... The warranty and impressive record of customer support I've read about on forums was a huge part of why I chose to get the Swift so this is a bit of a disappointment.

Will post about what their official response is when I get it.
Old 11-27-16, 09:30 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike
I just bought the single speed version maybe a day or two before they apparently discontinued the bike. I received my bike the day after Thanksgiving...

I've emailed Xootr about what it means for the frame warranty as well as replacement parts going forward... The warranty and impressive record of customer support I've read about on forums was a huge part of why I chose to get the Swift so this is a bit of a disappointment.

Will post about what their official response is when I get it.
I can't imagine them abandoning the warranty just because they stopped production of that particular product. Xootr is still in business and presumably still has access to the Swift tooling. In fact, considering slow sales, they probably still have a good stash of frames around. I think you'll be ok for the next few years, at least.
Old 11-28-16, 07:10 AM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I can't imagine them abandoning the warranty just because they stopped production of that particular product. Xootr is still in business and presumably still has access to the Swift tooling. In fact, considering slow sales, they probably still have a good stash of frames around. I think you'll be ok for the next few years, at least.
I've been in touch with Xootr who have confirmed that they have a good supply of frames in stock.
Old 11-28-16, 07:10 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait
I've been in touch with Xootr who have confirmed that they have a good supply of frames in stock.
Yeah, I received a short email in reply saying they have "plenty" of frames in stock. I was hoping for a little more assurance but I guess that'll have to do... Hopefully I'll never have any need to find out.

Last edited by iamdougsbike; 11-28-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-28-16, 07:34 PM
iamdougsbike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's the best gearing for the Swift?

I purchased a single speed so that I could install the drivetrain I wanted instead of paying extra for bits I'd replace anyway.

I'm wondering what cassettes people have used on their Swifts to get an idea of what I should get.

I was thinking of making it 1x10 but not sure if I should get a wide range 10s cassette like 11-40/42 or a narrower road cassette like an 11-36. Will the highest (easiest) gears on the wide range cassette be wasted due to the small 20" tires?
Old 11-28-16, 09:21 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
1x10 with 11-36t is plenty unless you want to include very steep MTB type riding. I have a 60t ring up front and rarely use the 42t front ring unless I go steep MTB climbing.
Old 12-01-16, 02:37 PM
Vanrex

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike
I purchased a single speed so that I could install the drivetrain I wanted instead of paying extra for bits I'd replace anyway.

I'm wondering what cassettes people have used on their Swifts to get an idea of what I should get.

I was thinking of making it 1x10 but not sure if I should get a wide range 10s cassette like 11-40/42 or a narrower road cassette like an 11-36. Will the highest (easiest) gears on the wide range cassette be wasted due to the small 20" tires?
I started out with an 11-28, but found it wasn't quite tall or low enough, so I switched to an 11-36, which I like. On my bike, it gives me a range of 30-97 gear-inches.

With the stock tires and chainring, an 11-36 cassette would give you a bottom end of about 28 gear-inches, which is decently low.

An issue with a 10-speed 11-42 cassette might be the wide gaps between some gears.

I'm curious if anyone's installed one, though. I think they require a long cage derailleur, and I'd like to know how much ground clearance there is. With the medium cage I've got, I measured about 3.5" (with 451 wheels and 28 mm tires) with the derailleur at its lowest.
Old 12-01-16, 05:13 PM
Daffyd

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I've had my Swift for about a week now, and have taken it out a few times and done about 5 miles each time just to try it out... Maybe I'm just used to my Trek, but the Swift seems really slow to me.... Riding 5 miles feels like riding 20 on my normal bike...

Is it possible it's the stock tires? On the Trek without trying I can easily do 17 mph... on the Swift I managed to only do 11 mph...

I'm lost on where to start... Maybe I should just inflate the tires more? Or should I look into tires that roll better? I'm pretty much always on bike trails near the ocean which are paved nicely, but a bit hilly...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the ride? I'm stumped...
Old 12-01-16, 05:55 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Daffyd
OK, I've had my Swift for about a week now, and have taken it out a few times and done about 5 miles each time just to try it out... Maybe I'm just used to my Trek, but the Swift seems really slow to me.... Riding 5 miles feels like riding 20 on my normal bike...

Is it possible it's the stock tires? On the Trek without trying I can easily do 17 mph... on the Swift I managed to only do 11 mph...

I'm lost on where to start... Maybe I should just inflate the tires more? Or should I look into tires that roll better? I'm pretty much always on bike trails near the ocean which are paved nicely, but a bit hilly...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the ride? I'm stumped...
Wow that is a huge difference. I would make sure both wheels rotate effortlessly, same with the cranks (chain off) and then rotate cranks backwards to check drivetrain drag with the chain on the middle cog. Then also rotate forwards with back wheel up to check for drag.

What are the tyres, Kenda Kwest? These are actually not bad. Inflate to about 50-60psi.

Then make sure your body setup on both bikes is as identical as you can get. Same saddle height, saddle fore-aft setting WRT bottom bracket spindle, and same handlebar reach and height.
Old 12-01-16, 05:55 PM
12boy

One of the first things I did was repack the wheels and headset and also removed the BB and greased those threads as well.the grease that came with it was skimpy and very light. So, make sure your wheels are spinning freely. I kept the 65 lb Kwests that came on the bike at 65 lbs. I also put bar ends on it to achieve a little less wind drag, give me additional hand positions, and give me something to pull on going up hills. I also put some SPDs on there so I could ride with SPD bike shoes.
I would try to make the bike fit as much like the Trek as I could, so if you were bent over more on the Trek, and upright on the Swift, that would slow you down, some. Likewise the wide soft saddle that came with the bike may not be as efficient as a narrow hard saddle. Having done those things my Swift is pretty close to one of my 700 C bikes and much faster than an unsuspended Cannondale mtn bike with knobby 2" tires.
Old 12-01-16, 06:06 PM
Daffyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Wow that is a huge difference. I would make sure both wheels rotate effortlessly, same with the cranks (chain off) and then rotate cranks backwards to check drivetrain drag with the chain on the middle cog. Then also rotate forwards with back wheel up to check for drag.

What are the tyres, Kenda Kwest? These are actually not bad. Inflate to about 50-60psi.

Then make sure your body setup on both bikes is as identical as you can get. Same saddle height, saddle fore-aft setting WRT bottom bracket spindle, and same handlebar reach and height.
Yeah, they're Kena Kwests... I'll check the inflation... I'll also have to check the chain, etc... First time I folded the bike, it fell off... I put it back on, but I'm not too good at bike assembly, etc... Guess I'll be learning now!
Old 12-01-16, 06:08 PM
Daffyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
One of the first things I did was repack the wheels and headset and also removed the BB and greased those threads as well.the grease that came with it was skimpy and very light. So, make sure your wheels are spinning freely. I kept the 65 lb Kwests that came on the bike at 65 lbs. I also put bar ends on it to achieve a little less wind drag, give me additional hand positions, and give me something to pull on going up hills. I also put some SPDs on there so I could ride with SPD bike shoes.
I would try to make the bike fit as much like the Trek as I could, so if you were bent over more on the Trek, and upright on the Swift, that would slow you down, some. Likewise the wide soft saddle that came with the bike may not be as efficient as a narrow hard saddle. Having done those things my Swift is pretty close to one of my 700 C bikes and much faster than an unsuspended Cannondale mtn bike with knobby 2" tires.
The only thing I've done so far is put on a Rido saddle... I put on foldable pedals, but maybe I need some SPD's... I have them on the Trek.... That could be part of it...

But might be time to learn how to repack wheels, etc...
Old 12-01-16, 10:59 PM
iamdougsbike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does anyone have any photos of the "Carry Bag" that Xootr sells for the Swift?

The photos on the site are small and low resolution without any scale of reference like the bag being carried by a human being...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.