Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone with Hokkaido touring experience?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 02:17 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

My stoker and I are planning to ride the tandem around Japan's Hokkaido island this summer, self-supported. We hope to camp, stay at rider houses and the occasional minshuku or ryokan, dip in as many hot springs as possible, eat lots.
I grew up in Hokkaido and speak Japanese, but we haven't been back to the island for decades.
-Have any of you toured Hokkaido recently?
-Anyone here who lives and bikes in Hokkaido?
-What websites/forums are good for cycling in Japan? (I've already found Hokkaidowilds.)
I have a bunch of questions that I'll follow up with if anyone would like to help. We've bought the latest Hokkaido Mapple and are poring over it and could use some guidance.
Thanks!
Old 02-19-23, 08:22 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
My wife and I did the West coast and central part of the island but that was in 2013. PM me or look for densamoz on CrazyGuyonabike.com.

Sam
Old 02-20-23, 07:12 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
there is a guy on here named Waddo, he lives and tours in Japan and has put up good videos of him and his partner biking around various parts of Japan for years here.
Look up waddo on youtube and you'll easily find his vids, so you may find one on this area.
Old 02-20-23, 12:20 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Originally Posted by sam21fire
My wife and I did the West coast and central part of the island but that was in 2013. PM me or look for densamoz on CrazyGuyonabike.com.

Sam
thanks! Sent DM.
Old 02-20-23, 12:21 PM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by djb
there is a guy on here named Waddo, he lives and tours in Japan and has put up good videos of him and his partner biking around various parts of Japan for years here.
Look up waddo on youtube and you'll easily find his vids, so you may find one on this area.
indeed, we have seen some of his and will go back and look again.
Old 02-20-23, 12:29 PM
djb

Perfect.
Old 02-20-23, 10:28 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I'm the Waddo guy. I would just mention a couple of things: 1. buy bear spray and keep it in your water bottle cage when riding and take it with you when you hike. You can buy it at most Montbell shops. 2. The distances are LONG. It's not like the rest of Japan. You can ride for hours and never see a town or any kind of shop for food. Watch my video and you will see to stay away from a certain stretch of coast where you must go through a dozen tunnels and some several km long. 3. Plan it as a sightseeing holiday or you may spend too much time just riding through empty countryside.
Likes For waddo:
Old 02-21-23, 09:28 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Hi Waddo,

I am trying to do some comparative understanding of the recommendation for bringing a bear spray with you when touring Hokkaido. Do You have any personal or studied knowledge of the presence of bears in the Appalachians and also in the Continental Divide or the Sierra's? How would the threat of a negative encounter compare?
Old 02-21-23, 11:11 AM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by waddo
I'm the Waddo guy.
Nice to meet you here, Waddo! And thanks for the tips. We’re rewatching your lovely Hokkaido videos now and getting lots of ideas as we plot out our route on the map.
How did you locate your campgrounds and sites, especially the closed or abandoned ones? I know there’s an app showing campgrounds and onsen, so perhaps that or Google maps?
Old 02-21-23, 06:01 PM
waddo

All I know is in Honshu we have come across bears on the mount roads we take. Once, literally face to face. The bear was as surprised as we were. I don't see the point of taking any chances especially as a bear spray fits in a bottle cage.
Likes For waddo:
Old 02-21-23, 06:07 PM
waddo

To Sapporoguy. I use google earth and google maps. Street view is available even for empty mountain roads. So I check for traffic and steepness and sometimes for camping places. I also us general internet searches. It is my hobby for a month or two before a trip and I probably spend about 50 hours researching a multi week tour. People take photos from hilltops, shrines, just about everywhere I would want to camp, so luckily they upload them onto google maps, earth and the net.
Old 02-21-23, 08:59 PM
sapporoguy

Thanks, Waddo. Your videos show some really lovely-looking rural roads, paved and narrow and remote without visible traffic. It’s a little hard to see how steep they are sometimes, but they seem ideal for cycling. Your images of abandoned schools make me almost teary-eyed. I went to a school like that in the 60’s in eastern Hokkaido, and those schools in towns around the island were full of life at the time.
Old 02-22-23, 06:26 AM
waddo

Sapporoguy, It's hard to see the gradient of the roads on the vids, so let's just say reality is 10x worse than the video suggests! Of all the abandoned buildings we explore (all part of the trip research) I must say schools are the most impactful. Some of our trips also include closed schools that have opened as kind of museums. Generally I enjoy them more than the ruins. Tazawako has a really great one.
Old 02-22-23, 06:26 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

I like the campsites you find. Good job on that.
Old 02-22-23, 07:32 AM
waddo

There are three elements to a bike tour, route, sightseeing and wild camp site. They are all equal and I think none should be left to random chance; but really, a heavenly and safe campsite at the end of the day and for the slow morning just cannot be bettered. And I think a great video shot/photo of a tent in a fantastic setting is the most powerful statement of what great touring is all about.

Though I could be wrong!
Likes For waddo:
Old 02-22-23, 08:18 AM
djb

Originally Posted by waddo
There are three elements to a bike tour, route, sightseeing and wild camp site. They are all equal and I think none should be left to random chance; but really, a heavenly and safe campsite at the end of the day and for the slow morning just cannot be bettered. And I think a great video shot/photo of a tent in a fantastic setting is the most powerful statement of what great touring is all about.

Though I could be wrong!
your videos over the years have shown that you really are good at scouting out great camping spots.
I think it is fair to say that you have way more patience doing this than I ever have--but then you have really great camping spots to show for it!

and yes, the scenes of the two of you in lovely, peaceful spots have always been a highlight of your vids, and I agree, these very much show this wonderful aspect of touring.
I've mentioned this to you before, but even though your videos are of a couple of people plonking along through a part of the world that I have never been to, or probably ever will go to, the balance of blah blah and the visuals, and the generally laid back take on the whole thing, have always made them fun to watch.
thanks again for doing them, even though they clearly are wonderful memories for the two of you, they are inspiring to watch.
They capture the wonder of exploring somewhere by bike and being out in nature.
cheers
Old 02-22-23, 10:57 AM
PedalingWalrus

I was just today checking out tsushima island as I am about 3 weeks from going on a tour of South Korea and this island is only a couple of hours by ferry from Busan. :-)
Old 02-23-23, 01:14 AM
waddo

Tsushima Island is fine, though nothing to write home about. Iki island is a bit nicer though so small I think 3 days would be the maximum time you could spend there with t bike.
Likes For waddo:
Old 02-26-23, 02:33 PM
gquirk77

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had been planning a long tour through Japan starting in Sapporo, then I saw some of those "walking tour of (any city)" videos on youtube, even as late as January everyone I see walking (outdoors too) is wearing masks, everyone. I can't handle wearing a mask again like that all the time, I'm fully vaxxed and have had Covid, definitely not an anti vaxxer, but masks outdoors still in 2023 is ridiculous.

I saw the same thing on videos from Korea and Taiwan.
Old 03-01-23, 05:17 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Which area do you prefer cycling , Daisetsuzan or Shiretoko ?
Old 03-01-23, 09:22 AM
waddo

Mask wearing: you do not need to wear a mask any more. so just come to Japan and enjoy yourself.
Old 03-01-23, 11:38 AM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by pakeboi
Which area do you prefer cycling , Daisetsuzan or Shiretoko ?
OP here. We plan to start in Hakodate and around the coast and up to Wakkanai, down the east coat to Shiretoko. Then to Sapporo, perhaps via Taisetzuzan.
Old 03-09-23, 05:14 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
This is from the tour company Adventure Hokkaido :
https://www.adventure-hokkaido.com/b...eid=ead4c0410f
Old 03-11-23, 12:42 AM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by pakeboi
This is from the tour company Adventure Hokkaido :
https://www.adventure-hokkaido.com/b...eid=ead4c0410f
Thanks! I was prepared to be skeptical—we tour independently. But I was drawn immediately by the photo of her favorite inn, in Nakashibetsu, a town where I went to kindergarten and 1st grade in the early ‘60s. This site looks really useful and makes us all the more convinced that Hokkaido is the place to tour this summer!
Old 03-12-23, 01:15 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
I dont know why Japan isnt considered one of the great bike touring destinations, like France. Maybe the language is more of a challenge. Or the weather. I dunno. I found it very interesting and fun, and the riding itself was great.