Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Replacement brakes suggestion

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 07:17 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

My wife has Tektro RL 520 brakes on her LHT. The right one became stiff on tour and we squirted copious amounts of lube inside which semi solved the problem. It is becoming stiff again and I want to replace it before our next tour. I know nothing about bike parts but I think I should replace them with something of higher quality so that they don't fail again. Can someone recommend a good replacement?
Old 06-15-23, 08:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
That particular model of brake lever is designed to work with V brakes which have more cable pull (more cable movement) than other drop bar brake levers, thus that lever works with long arm V brakes. If someone else makes a brake lever that will do the same thing, I am unaware of it.

On two of my bikes, I am using regular drop bar levers and long arm V brakes, but I am using a Travel Agent that allows a regular short cable pull lever to work with the V brakes. Two photos below.
https://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel-agent
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...and-adjustment

Travel Agents are getting harder to find, as rim brakes are disappearing so the hardware associated with rim brakes is finding less room on store shelves. Last time I wanted to buy one, I could not find one for sale, but I found a clone from Asia that was basically a copy of it.

But before you go shopping, take a close look to make sure that your cable outer housing where it is inserted into the brake handle is not the problem. I have had some high friction problems in the past from a cable run that is not quite as friction free as it should be.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-15-23 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-15-23, 09:25 PM
waddo

Thanks for the reply. As these are not expensiveI and I know they fit, will just buy the same kind again!
Old 06-15-23, 09:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
I would go SRAM S500 levers you will need a travel agent as shown above but they are the best levers out there, really comfortable and ergonomic.
Old 06-16-23, 04:25 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 413 Posts
I like TRP brakes and levers, they are well made, light, responsive, and comfortable.
Old 06-16-23, 07:35 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Don't replace brake levers just because something's "stiff". Although there are certainly exceptions, brake levers don't go bad and generally last pretty close to forever. In addition, Tektro RL520s are on a gazillion bikes and are pretty well thought of. Of all the reasons your brake may be stiff, the lever has the least chance of being the culprit. I'm willing to bet if you remove it from the bike you'll find that it moves freely.

When was the last time you changed cables and housing? Or is there something maybe going on with the brakes themselves? (My money would be on cables and housing.)
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 06-17-23, 06:29 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
When you write that the arm is "stiff" It could be a cantilever stud that is either not sufficiently lubed. When you say stiff do you mean not returning from the rim? Could be a simple spring tension adjustment issue. You need to release the spring and unbolt the arm from the stud and grease the sud/ see if that makes it less "stiff".
Old 06-17-23, 11:59 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
My wife has Tektro RL 520 brakes on her LHT. The right one became stiff on tour and we squirted copious amounts of lube inside which semi solved the problem. It is becoming stiff again and I want to replace it before our next tour. I know nothing about bike parts but I think I should replace them with something of higher quality so that they don't fail again. Can someone recommend a good replacement?
most likely was dirt or dried out lube in the housing at the tight turn near the lever.
you sprayed some lube in which softened the blockage, for a while, but then that fresh lube got gloopy as well.

remove the cable from the brake to see if it's the lever that's sticking.
when you replace the cables, use a spray lube with teflon.
Old 06-17-23, 12:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Now there are three of us telling you the same thing. You might want to consider that.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But before you go shopping, take a close look to make sure that your cable outer housing where it is inserted into the brake handle is not the problem. I have had some high friction problems in the past from a cable run that is not quite as friction free as it should be.
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
When was the last time you changed cables and housing? Or is there something maybe going on with the brakes themselves? (My money would be on cables and housing.)
Originally Posted by saddlesores
most likely was dirt or dried out lube in the housing at the tight turn near the lever.
you sprayed some lube in which softened the blockage, for a while, but then that fresh lube got gloopy as well.

remove the cable from the brake to see if it's the lever that's sticking.
when you replace the cables, use a spray lube with teflon.
But you might need new bar tape if you have to access the cables.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-18-23, 06:55 PM
waddo

Thanks for all the comments. I will look into the details.
Old 06-22-23, 05:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
hi waddo, I also would suspect the issue is a cable and housing thing going on, but no matter--just wanted to mention that putting softer brake pads on will make a real difference in braking power. I have used those salmon coloured pads by Kool-Stop for a long time and they really made a difference in braking power on one of my canti braked bikes. Being softer they also have the added benefit of being easier on the rims over time. The cantis I have on my bike have a pad holder that you can slide out the old pads and slide new ones in, after removing a tiny cotter bin to hold them in place. Makes it cheaper to change pads, although I can go years on a set--but I dont ride this bike that much in rain and gritty conditions and Im not riding it down long downhills so this is a huge factor in pad life.
What I can say is that way back when after getting this bike in question, I wasnt happy with the braking performance compared to my much much older canti bike from the 90s, so changing to these pads made a very, very noticeable difference in stronger braking, and I've been sold on them ever since. This bike also has those second set of interrupter brake levers on the bars, and the softer pads made these brake levers much much more useable with the increased braking performance.
I know you aren't into bike mechanics, but I hope that you find that the brake issue is just the housings and cables and some sort of friction point going on somewhere--its pretty common over time and with some water getting in there and some slight unseen rusting going on that adds friction. Usually happens gradually over time so we dont notice it.
cheers
Old 06-22-23, 12:24 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I have a travel agent on my front v-brake but had to keep the rear canti as the rack got in the way of a travel agent there.