Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 05:44 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
Bouncing back and forth between the 730 Multitrack and 800 Sport. Cleaned up a set of shifter/brake setups from an organ donor and installed them on the 800Sport. I also swapped the Conti smoothies for the Specialized Crossroads and the new freewheel and chain are on the way.

Did some more work on this one including installing new brake cables & truing the wheels. Installed the freewheel and chain too. Trying to decide what to do with the handgrips and shifter cables and then it is ready for a new home.

Last edited by Trav1s; 02-08-24 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 02-08-24, 01:55 PM
GullyFoylesbike
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
Bought this Serotta here a few months back and am at this point basically one bolt away from being ready to finish it. Converting the R600s to nutted with a jtek extra-long replacement bolt (thus the awkward placeholder setup for cable housing purposes only) and found a user here who had a spare knocking around. Beyond that just need to decide how much I'm going to shell out on a 7 speed freewheel. Extremely pleased with how well the swanky ultradynamicos fit with the 700c conversion too.

Tires are marked 38, come in right around ~34 on the 17mm internal archetypes.
Likes For GullyFoylesbike:
Old 02-08-24, 06:12 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I recently acquired a Cannondale CAAD2 T700 frameset. The eBay seller told me he discovered the converter stem was seized while packing the bike . It arrived a few days ago, and I was finally back in the shop today to deal with the stem. But as I was unpacking it, I also discovered one of the bolts for the replaceable derailleur hanger was headless! So today, I threw the bike in a stand, flipped it upside down, shot in a bunch of PB Blaster, and then let it sit while I worked. After work, I installed a threadless stem and a set of flat bars, then put a wheel in the front. With all that leverage and bracing, I got the converter stem to pop loose pretty easily. The wedge was still in the steerer tube, but all I had to do was thread in the quill bolt, and it came out with no real hassle. For the broken hanger bolt, I decided to sacrifice the replaceable hanger to get to the bolt. After the hanger was snapped off, some vise grips on the exposed screw was plenty to get it out.

More work than I would've liked, but not the end of the world. Luckily, everything came apart without much nuisance.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 02-09-24, 06:15 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
And we finally have a working wheel again!

I still need to double check if it is entirely centered but so far it looks good. As usual I added the brass spoke washers and just for the fun of it I added some gold striping. The silver version of this hub has black striping but the black one doesn't, so why not.
I'm contemplating ordering a pair of Soma Shikoro tyres, which are essentially the Soma Supple Vitesse EX with a puncture protection layer, by the end of the month but maybe I will just transfer the current tyre to this one. We'll see.

Parts used are:

Old 02-09-24, 09:31 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Yesterday's project was to get the lathe from the back of my pick up and up on my workbench by myself.
I took off the motor and tail stock, which knocked off close to forty pounds, then slid it down my ramps to my hated creeper.

I didn't take any pics of sliding it up the ramps because it was too much like work and I didn't have a free hand to do it anyway. But I got it up there with little drama.

However, because I am 68 going on 20, I crashed and burned in a roller skating race last night and broke my ankle.

So, no working on any projects for a while.
Old 02-09-24, 09:44 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
58 Schwinn World Traveler

I have been so busy lately I didn't even take pictures of my latest project, a 1987 Nishiki Mountain bike. It's already back at the Bike Exchange in the sale rack.

I did take a few pics of this 1958 Schwinn World traveler.

It was strippped and deep cleaned then given a clear coat to lock in the patina.

Mechanically, the bottom bracket, head set and front wheel bearings were re greased.

The S/A three speed hub was flushed out and filled with 20 wt oil.

New tires, cables and covers, and all bright work cleaned and polished completed the build.

Surprising, given the year, the bike came apart easily. Both the seat post and stem were well greased.

the only thing left to do is replace the shift cable, which was too long??? for some reason.

For all you Schwinn collectors out there, this is not the original saddle. It was in poor condition and I had this Messinger saddle in my stash that matched the bike perfectly.

I believe the next years model had one like this minus the chrome rail at the rear.

Last edited by capnjonny; 02-09-24 at 09:49 AM.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 02-09-24, 09:58 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW

What's that wheel building stand - it's looks quite nice and it's smallish ?
Old 02-09-24, 10:36 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
What's that wheel building stand - it's looks quite nice and it's smallish ?
https://road.cc/content/review/11509...l-truing-stand

That does look quite ok. Personally I would have to get some different indicator / gauge system, I can't get used to ones being placed at the bottom of the rim.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 02-09-24, 03:29 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
My rusty Carabela is less rusty. I had to remove all the paint to get to bare metal because there was enough rust coming through that I wanted to see what was under the paint. The chrome head tube lugs are going to be fine and the rear stay socks will be ok. I spent more yesterday on a can of spray primer and a can of spray paint than I did initially on the bike. Today I applied the primer to get the bare metal covered. There are a couple of little blemishes below the seat post clamp and a run on the top tube just in front of the seat tube that I will sand smooth and touch up. Overall I'm not too unhappy with how it turned out. The front fork chrome is pretty bad but I'll see what some vinegar and crumpled aluminum foil will do.

Old 02-09-24, 07:15 PM
VintageSteelEU

Another wheelset of the week built. This time the weight wasn't a concern so it's around 1350g rear and 1250g front with inner tubes, tape and tyres.
I have to say that I like Ambrosio rims. They are very easy to build on. No problems with getting tyres on them either. I do prefer Excellight than Excellence though. And I don't think there would be that much of a difference in their durability.
The latter have a nice touch in the shape of the valve plate, but I have a feeling that at speed I will get the noise of the valve hitting the edges of the valve hole and probably will have to find some solution for that. Another problem was that double eyelets on the Excellence seem to be extremely sensitive to spoke tension. They just won't sit flush with the rim. Which, I guess, is a good thing and shows they are doing their job. And no, the spokes were not and are not over-tensioned. No such thing with Excellight, where the eyelets are probably exactly the same and spoke tension is the same as well.
This wheelset is a bit of an overkill because it's meant for "fast commuting". But since I was ordering two sets of Excellight rims anyway, to lower the shipping cost per rim I decided to throw in Excellence ones as well.
Since this time I wasn't bothered by weight, the rim tape is my go-to Continental EasyTape, inner tubes are Michelin AirComp and the tyres are humble LifeLine Prime Race. I might look for some tan-walled tyres with kevlar bead and perhaps some improved puncture resistance, but for now I just used what I had in my stash. And, in all fairness, there's nothing wrong with LifeLine ones.

Old 02-10-24, 03:02 AM
eldercycling

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Schwinn Traveller that has nothing but ball bearings loose in the bottom bracket. No pics because I'm a newbie.
Likes For eldercycling:
Old 02-10-24, 11:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
A shimano tricolor group has been acquired from a bianchi of Tange prestige tubing.
Unfortunately the bianchi will not pound the pavement again, eventually will be worm food.
The fork and rest appears ok.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-10-24, 11:46 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
https://road.cc/content/review/11509...l-truing-stand

That does look quite ok. Personally I would have to get some different indicator / gauge system, I can't get used to ones being placed at the bottom of the rim.
That's the one. I believe I got it for cheap at €25 second-hand so I am not complaining. Maybe I will spring for something better one day but it's pretty nice to just set it up in the living room and work on it that way.
Old 02-10-24, 08:24 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
Swapped out the fork on the golden Raleigh while the original undergoes realignment therapy. Depending on the angle you barely notice the color change. Also overhauled the dynohub that is original to the bike.

Last edited by cjefferds; 02-10-24 at 08:40 PM.
Likes For cjefferds:
Old 02-10-24, 08:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
@JaccoW, I had those tires on my bike until August. They rode like rocks. I recommend you try something else.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-10-24, 10:22 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by eldercycling
Schwinn Traveller that has nothing but ball bearings loose in the bottom bracket. No pics because I'm a newbie.
Pic assist:
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 02-10-24, 11:42 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Pic assist:
Different bike, however.
Old 02-10-24, 11:59 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
.....However, because I am 68 going on 20, I crashed and burned in a roller skating race last night and broke my ankle.
So, no working on any projects for a while.
Ouch! No biking for a while either. I hope the doc spared you the usual lecture.
Old 02-11-24, 05:14 AM
VintageSteelEU

Almost got another Motobecane last week, Grand Record this time. It took a lot of self discipline and self convincing not to get it. And then I thought I should allow other people to have a nice bicycle instead of hogging them all.
Got back to the Superator as a distraction and to ameliorate Motobecane withdrawal symptoms. I think I've got all the parts, except the final set of pedals I'm still hunting for (but I have some Lyotard to use before I get the final set, whatever they might be).
The plan for the next few weeks will be:
1. Working on converting top-mounted LD-4850 to clamped ones. That's still ongoing. Tried two other sets of Suntour clamps for the shifter levers. First ones, LD-1900 Road Vx, would not work with LD-4850 as the innner-most washer / lever stops are non-removable. The second set, what looks like some version of LD-3700, might just work with some modifications, so will be a backup option. Now I'm waiting for DLW LD-1000. For now it looks like I might end up with quite a few sets of downtube shifters and still be forced to braze on shifter bosses on the downtube...
2. Deciding on the seat post. The options are: cutting 400mm 26.6mm seatpost to the required length or modifying 26.8mm one to fit.
3. Preparing all the parts, polishing them where necessary and putting aside in a separate box.
4. Working on the frame: fixing the BB shifter cable guide on the drive side, checking alignment of the forks, dropouts and the frame itself.
5. Building up the bicycle.

I started with taking a closer look at the frame and I'm currently working on making sure everything is aligned properly. Might end up taking it to my LBS or a frame builder for that, though need to check if they have the tools I need. For now, it seems to be roughly fine, but let's face it: I don't have very precise tools to ascertain that for sure.
Interestingly, I found out that the frame has a built in anti-theft "mechanism" for the rear wheel. By which I mean there's barely any clearance to put a rim with 700x25c tyre on. I tried a wheel with 700x28c yesterday and that is absolutely no go. The chainstays bridge won't allow you to put it on. I guess, if it was deflated, the frame might still have sufficient clearance to ride the bicycle, but you can forget about taking the rear wheel off or putting it back on. I'm going to use 700x25c with it anyway, so that's not a big deal. Though even 700x25c when inflated isn't going to be easy and quick to take off / put back on. Very narrow tubulars were probably what the frame was built for.

The fork seems mostly OK, some further investigation will be needed

Time to take a closer look at the frame before it's built up
Old 02-11-24, 07:01 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by noglider
@JaccoW, I had those tires on my bike until August. They rode like rocks. I recommend you try something else.
Thanks for the warning Tom. I thought they were like the Soma Supple Vitesse that I have on the bike in 42mm right now but I just wanted something similar with less flats. Looks like those are out of stock but I have some time before deciding what to do next.
Old 02-11-24, 08:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
@JaccoW I wasn't sure, but when I replaced them, I noticed the difference. Then someone here corroborated with my finding.

I replaced them with Continental GP5000 tires which are very supple and not very puncture resistant. They're not even very durable. So I'm not recommending them to you, but I sure am enjoying them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-11-24, 08:08 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Different bike, however.
Whoops!
Old 02-11-24, 08:16 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
Todays big project clean out Lilith

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 02-11-24, 08:18 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Ouch! No biking for a while either. I hope the doc spared you the usual lecture.
You got that right. And of course, I just re-joined a bicycle club I had belonged to in the 80s. No motorcycles or vehicles with a clutch, either. I have two of each.

There was no lecture from the ER doc. A couple of the nurses did say that at least I did it while I was having fun. I meet with the bone doc Tuesday to get my hard cast. Maybe I'll get a lecture then.
Old 02-11-24, 08:18 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Panaracer still makes the Pasela with flat protection in both 700 and 27 inch. I've ordered both in the last month. The ride like a cloud and very nice handling. The big blue logo is kind of ugly on some bikes, though. They should do away with the label color, but overall very durable, and I have ridden them straight through piles of broken car glass on multiple occasions without a single flat, ever.

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-11-24 at 08:25 AM.
Likes For Bikedued:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.