Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Collection Reduction Support/Encouragement/Accountability thread!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Collection Reduction Support/Encouragement/Accountability thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 10:52 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
About time you started a support group! I think I need to undo a good chunk of my 'opportunistic acquisition' if I want to move forward, 'thoughtfully intentional(ly)'. I need to clear up physical space, mental space, and sunk costs, so I am in a better place to focus on the "keeper's". Hitting the same wall you did with my 'opportunistic acquisition(s)' Tried selling at reasonable prices, trading, selling for a song and giving away, not a lot of luck. Have resorted to dis-assembling a few. Hard to justify putting any time or money into them to make them more "sale-able" no return on that investment.
I will need to dig-in a bit to come up with numbers, but I have definitely made some dent in getting bikes out, less successful in not bringing in 'opportunistic acquisitions'.
I think the prices we've seen on vintage steel in the last year has made it extremely easy and tempting to 'pack 'em deep while they're cheap', but now I'm feeling the consequences of those actions. And yeah, there is no money making here. Tons of barriers. And really, experience has been a great teacher, so while I may lose $$, I'm gaining perspective. And if we are being honest, whats $50 here, $100 there? Really, nothing in the long run.

Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Have you set goals? I’ve long had a rule of a bakers dozen or less, frames count. Think a vague “I gotta clear out some”, or “get intentional” isn’t specific enough. Intention has changed over time as tastes and riding has changed. Have a few parts groups for when the right frame opportunistically presents.
I'm more of a 'systems' guy than a 'goal setting' guy, so what I'm attempting to do is change the system so the habits change. But if I had to make a goal, it would be: forward progress, and bikes that I can actually ride. I have maybe 15-20% of the bikes I have ride now that are actually ridable - almost all need something that is keeping them from being functional. It's sad! In short - I'm living beyond my means, bicycle-speaking.

Originally Posted by RustyJames
If I counted, which is only slightly daunting, I think I’m around 22. 4 are sitting by the front door and will be listed for sale when the weather improves here in Oregon. 3 or 4 more will need some fettling before I feel comfortable selling them. A few others (frame sets, for example) need significant rehab before they go away.

That will whittle me down to some unique/rare/once-in-a-lifetime things that I need to decide if I want to keep them. The Circuit and the Allez are birds of a feather so one will likely go.

I don’t have an exact number in mind but it seems like 8 remaining is about accurate.
If I had to place a number (which is proving impossible so far), I would think 4-8 would be ideal. But then I start listing them out, and I fail at that right away. Then again, putting bikes I don't even have yet on the list is probably a recipe for disaster

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I too have been a practitioner of "opportunistic acquisition" as evidenced by my purchase yesterday. I was just trying to come up with a list of what I need to let go after my big N-1 stumble yesterday when I saw this post.

Total frames and bikes on the premises as of 02 March, 2024 at 7:18 AM = 59.

Believe it or not that's down signiificantly from what it was a couple years ago but I didn't break it down between complete bikes and frames because I have MORE than enough parts to put almost all the frames on the road in some form or another. I worked on my shop all last year from Memorial Day on and have picked away at it through the past Winter and it has come a LONG, LONG way but still has a bit to go. I'm headed back out as soon as I finish this post to work on organizing parts, I'm down to small boxes of odds and ends now, my tools are finally done.

If I had a co-op closer than 100 miles away I'd load up a couple (that's all my vehicle will hold) and some boxes of parts and donate them but I don't. I may put some of them on Marketplace dirt cheap or even free but even then with the current market I'm not optimistic of finding any takers. That leaves the better stuff most of which I really hate to part with and even when I do make that hard choice I have the added handicap of riding tall frames. Those, as we all know, take a long time to sell. More than enough time for me to change my mind which as you may have noticed I do frequently.

It's good to know I'm not alone in my obsession.
First of all, great job - sounds like you've been doing a lot of work. Second, regarding your number... there is no judgement. Sounds like you've got some great plans, despite the challenge of living away from a co-op. That statement alone makes me feel gratitude at the fact that I have several within a 20mi distance.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
You just need more space! I was messaging this guy about a Mixte and this is part of his current collection and a suprising number have C-Rec kit. IIRC the room is 12-18

The rug is sweet too!
I'm hoping to master the art of frivilous, vicarious indulgement. I'm at the point now where redundancy makes no sense. But even variety makes little sense, either. Like, my reason for wanting to keep the Trek 750 Multitrack is that it would make for an awesome backpacking/adventure bike, or if I ever wanted to take it across Indonesia or something. Like when am I ever going to do any of that? I still love that bike, tho.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-03-24, 10:54 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Does not compute. Where’s the N+1 angle here?
'Babe, look... I got rid of 20 bikes, so the 5 new ones I just got don't matter at all since I'm still way under where I was'

Slippery slope.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 03-03-24 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-03-24, 11:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

I appreciate everyone's support so far - thank you! And I hope to give it back in spades to anyone else who could use some.

Here is the plan for this upcoming week:

stoneageyosh should be happy to know I finally re-cut the bike boxes to be correctly dimensioned for more efficient shipping costs, so the Super Course and PXN-10 will be getting packed up soon. I have 3 junker frames in the work truck that I will be dropping off, likely to the scrapper (and *gasp* one is a Huffy!). I'm going to put the Specialized FSR in the back of the truck tomorrow so I can take it to the co-op on Tuesday (they are closed Mon).

Not sure yet what I'm going to do w/ some of the frames I've got. I had a Schwinn Homegrown mtb built up, but used some of the parts for other builds. A Homegrown was my very first real 'adult' bike so I have an affinity to them, but this one, while awesome, is just slightly too big for me, and no sense in really having it around, but not sure what to do with it either. Maybe a wallhanger? That just sounds dumb. Anyway, I'll deal with that one later. There are some others that I should be able to get rid of more quickly, like the John Deere (lol), the Fuji Cambridge, and the Trek 930. Right now they are just taking up room, but dang...not scrap! Not the Trek!

I have a feeling that before this is all done, I'm gonna be losing the PX-10, the Trek 600, maybe the PXN-10 (blue). More to come.

Old 03-03-24, 11:11 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by RustyJames
The Allez rides sooo nice and kinda ticks the box for “spritely 80s steel” but I also have my Strawberry that was made the same year and is almost finished. The Circuit also rides very nice and the indexing is nice. Arrggghhhh…

A motivator is I am biased to less “serious” bikes. I just wanna hop on and ride. No special clothing required.
I am biased to serious garbage bikes, which makes things even harder, since they are all over the place, for free, all the time. But maybe this will work in my favor, because I am done acquiring anything Huffy related (more on that to come), so really, this should be my super power. All those nicer bikes I have? Pfff! Who wants those! Get rid of 'em!

It probably didn't help that I struggled for hours and hours this weekend on the stupid sti/brifter setup for my Ironman. That bike is completely ace, but the STIs are just garbage! I must have messed around with the front shifter for like 3 hours alone...it would never catch, never catch, never catch...just dragging along the large chainring, and then all of the sudden, boom! It would shift and throw the chain off the other side! And yes, I took that thing apart and used degreaser and brake cleaner and everything else to get it working. It made me want to saw the bike in half and throw every other bike I own in a fire. It was actually a great motivator to downsize.

Old 03-03-24, 11:13 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
You let me know I'm not alone.
You are not alone!

Old 03-03-24, 11:22 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by albrt
I've been making a pretty consistent effort to reduce the number of bikes over the past several months. I sold two for disappointing prices, and gave away a third. The giveaway was much more satisfying.

I never expected to make money on any of these, but I expected to be able to mitigate the damages a little bit if a bike did not turn out to be among my favorites. If vintage mid-range bikes in good working order are truly worth $0 on the open market that puts a little bit different perspective on things.

YES! That is what I have found as well. I have been inspired by Mad Honk , jdawginsc , DD and others in their generosity. I mean, if it were classic vintage Indian motorcycles, okay, or early rare American coins, sure, but this stuff? Pennies on the dollar compared to a lot of hobbies out there, and I'm finding it just isn't worth the bandwidth to try and eek out dollars.

Old 03-03-24, 11:23 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Not including the 20+ bikes in the storage trailer that WILL go to nonprofits by the end of the calendar year, I have:

My core "first string" bikes, seen at Richard C. Moeur - Bike Stuff
The wife's & son's bikes
Then there are the "second string" bikes, which might make first team except the ones ahead of them on the depth chart I've owned so long they're like family. These include:
1. The Great Pumpkin, an astonishingly orange Specialized
2. Uglybike 2, a Nishiki Pueblo that is both homely and capable
3. A gorgeous green Kulana cruiser that I'm just waiting to go to just the right person. Soon. Maybe.

Plus there's a beat-up green bike at the co-op that is pleading to me "Fix me up! I have potential AND character!"

I did deal off the red white and blue Trek Multitrack from the second team roster when a friend needed a bike for a teen relative and forwarded the funds to a nonprofit. So there is modest attrition.

It's hard enough as I get to each of the stored bikes and rehabilitate them for reuse without feeling the pull of "maybe I should hang onto this one...". Sometimes it's easy to say goodbye, such as when the frame is the completely wrong size or the bike is perfect for the intended recipient. And sometimes it ain't.

Plus there's the related issue of hoarding curating collections of components. I know I probably don't need 4 sets of Suntour XCE cranks, but I like the design, and... (you get the idea).
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-03-24, 11:25 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
Yeah, the amount of time I spent on those two bikes I did manage to sell, it was totally not worth it. Added up to less than two hours of billing at my regular job.
Likes For albrt:
Old 03-03-24, 11:43 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Yeah, the amount of time I spent on those two bikes I did manage to sell, it was totally not worth it. Added up to less than two hours of billing at my regular job.
It ain't really a way to make a decent living, but I value my bike-fixing time as recovery from the hours of cat-herding of paying clients. Plus it's more productive and orders of magnitude more satisfying than watching TV or typing away on Bi... um, well, we'll leave it at that.
Old 03-04-24, 02:24 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
And I will put some effort into it as well as have a heart to heart with my son to figure out better what to do and how to proceed.

For the time being I will continue to beat my head on the pile and see what comes of it, plenty there to work with so.....
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-04-24, 02:49 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Well well well, if it isn't a fellow traveler on the same road, @AdventureManCO ? I may technically have a spare hook or two in the garage, but let's say I am looking at a financial headwind far down the road and believe it would be better to make my profile small by jettisoning unneeded bicycles and components. To that end I have recently made great effort in putting all but one planned bike up for sale and most all of my accidental mini-empire of components up for grabs as well. The riding weather here in Oregon has absolutely suuuuuuucked, which has been its own death for me. Regardless, I look forward to better days, and I truly sense an eager market judging by the interest in the belly of winter here. This would be in heavy contrast to 2023, which was tough sledding, sales-wise.

Current count: 8 bikes, 0 frames, lots 'o parts
Goal: 3 bikes, 0 frames, only a few parts (3 pairs of replacement tires, bought used; an 11-28t 11-speed cassette; a B-17 saddle for sentimentality, and I think that's it)
Goal Pt. II: No purchasing of any bicycle components unless absolutely necessary to make a sale (like, how do I not have extra flat pedals for that one last bike to be put on the market?).

My three keeper bikes are 'frozen' as far as components go. I feel great about them, but am facing a multi-faceted 'squeeze' of sorts, primarily between Wanting to Work On Bikes, All Bikes Are Done, and Weather Blows Chunks For Riding Right Now. I have three truly wonderful bikes I am overly-blessed to own and just want to ride them!

The bikes I am selling all have brifters on them. It's 2024 and period-correct vintage is a hard sell made even harder with an XL-sized frame. Selling at cost-ish or a slight loss to get them out the door. I'll make up the money elsewhere, hopefully. Primary goal is to get bikes to people who will use them--I've done my part in getting them truly road-worthy.

Here's to hoping the reduction goes quickly for all of us!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-04-24, 05:26 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 611 Posts
I've been making a pretty consistent effort to reduce the number of bikes over the past several months. I sold two for disappointing prices, and gave away a third. The giveaway was much more satisfying.

I never expected to make money on any of these, but I expected to be able to mitigate the damages a little bit if a bike did not turn out to be among my favorites. If vintage mid-range bikes in good working order are truly worth $0 on the open market that puts a little bit different perspective on things.
I'm in the same situation, anything I sell now will be for considerably less than I have in it but I'm taking the mindset that I was never in to make a profit. I do it because I like working on them and get a lot of satisfaction out of bringing them back to life. I'll take that and the freed up shop space as wins. If I can recoup some of my investment better yet but whether or not I do it's time to let many of them go. Many of mine will probably get parted out either by me or the buyer due to the tall frames and that is too bad but one way or another they gotta go.
Old 03-04-24, 05:59 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Newbie here yet this thread resonates with my situation. My day job has me pushing paper and bikes are a way to see tangible progress in my life. I have fixed and sold several but don't do it to make money either. I can also see how it can easily get out of hand and take over space quite easily.

As for my personal bikes, I have 4 keepers:
- '18 Cannondale Quick 1 - OTET ready but will likely be replaced with a 700c drop bar gravel or endurance bike after my daughter can ride it
- '98 Trek 730 Multitrek project - the Dadillac and future around town runner
- '94 Cannondale MTB mystery frame WIP - because I love the color and because I can and might end uo with 27.5s
- '94 Specialized S-Works M2 - weapon of choice for the local MTB trails but a bit big for me

Two currently for sale:
- Trek Precaliber 24 (daughter likes her Quick 24 better and was cheap)
- Trek 800 Sport Mixte (purchased cheap with intent to resell)

Two other projects:
- 90's 800 Sport 13" being built for my daughter's next bike
- 90's 820 Sport 15" (Kermit) that's another around town runner that needs work (likely the future home for the parts on the 13" when she outgrows it)

One frame, one fork, and a 5 gallon bucket of stuff to send to the co-op.
Old 03-04-24, 06:12 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
I'm definitely going to participate here.
First, I'm a bike fiend. I love shiny, and I love rusty which can become shiny.
Second, I have a personality of addiction and a bit of obsession; I also come from an extended family of folks with addictive tendencies.
Finally, I'm a mental health therapist and approaching this head-on for myself will be a good thing.
Phil
​​​
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 03-04-24, 06:15 AM
Murray Missile 

Since my previous post about an hour ago I made a "cut" list. 1st round I came up with 18 definites and 4 in the " build and ride 1st" then decide category. There's also a short "should go" mental list I'm still wrestling with. I'm keeping most of my Reynolds 531 and Tange Champion No. 2 bikes though.
Old 03-04-24, 09:38 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Since my previous post about an hour ago I made a "cut" list. 1st round I came up with 18 definites and 4 in the " build and ride 1st" then decide category. There's also a short "should go" mental list I'm still wrestling with. I'm keeping most of my Reynolds 531 and Tange Champion No. 2 bikes though.
I've got a couple that are in the 'build then ride and evaluate' category - mainly, the Gitane TdF and the Sears Ted Williams Sport Racer. I'm not attached to either one, but I've heard enough great things about the fantastic ride qualities of the TdF that I'd like to do it justice. And the Sears is just a bit of a pet project. You don't see them very often - its quirky, and beautiful, and sort of blue collar. I really dig it, and would like to see it built up. Those are the two that are on the 'project' hooks, the 'surplus' holding area, all things being ideal. I'm not there yet. This week will see more progress.

Old 03-04-24, 09:42 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Well well well, if it isn't a fellow traveler on the same road, @AdventureManCO To that end I have recently made great effort in putting all but one planned bike up for sale

Current count: 8 bikes, 0 frames, lots 'o parts
Goal: 3 bikes, 0 frames, only a few parts
This is a great plan! But I'd also first like to ask how you plan to make your selection of bikes - is it based on year, size, tubing, ride quality, rarity, favorites, etc? How do you see yourself getting down to the 3, or even that final 1?

There is really no rhyme or reason to the selection process in my own mind, other that if a bike rides amazing. But even then, like the PX-10, which is really dialed in and a fun, tactile ride, I'm considering letting it go.

I wonder if anyone has ever just put every single one up for sale, and just kept the last one standing. What a way that would be!

Old 03-04-24, 10:58 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
It is easier for me now as I got older, and realized that a sport bike with skinny tires is not really doable for me. Out went the Ironman. I spent some recent time fixing up an 84 Torpado that will be up for sale soon. I do have to admit that I won’t really use a full touring bike either. So, it is easier since I’m mostly just on sport tourers now with 32mm and up tires.
Old 03-04-24, 10:59 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I'm at not too different a point from Adventureman. Several years ago I ceased chasing anything other than what I had worked out to be my focus. I've had a couple lapses since then and have a few projects still on my hands, but I'm committed to scaling back on the rate of expansion, and also to finding homes for some of the frames and bicycles that are sitting here which I do not consider to be "keepers" or "potential keepers".

I did an inventory this morning. Excluding the unicycle and tandem, there are 32 bicycles and 8 frames. Four of the frames and seven of the bicycles I have no intention of keeping - however, the frames that remain likely need to be built before I can move them along. I am fortunate to have sufficient space for what will eventually be 29 bicycles. I may decide to let some of those go at some point in the future, but one thing at a time.

Recent "successes" include finding homes for two of the frames which, while nice, just were outside of my parameters.
Old 03-04-24, 12:01 PM
Murray Missile 

Forgot a couple so I'm up to 61. They're both keepers too.
Old 03-04-24, 01:19 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Interesting that you mention the Cimarron, and more than a few have mentioned a Circuit. Both of those bikes have been on my short list after hearing such glowing things about each. But really, what I'd like is to get to a place where if I happen to find either one in my size, that I could 'opportunistically yet intentionally' purchase either and have enough room in the shop where I'm far the limits. Sort of an 'overflow/surplus' bike spot if you will.
So, umm, what size fits you? I have a Circuit in parts in my shed that needs to move along.
Old 03-04-24, 01:21 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,972 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
So, umm, what size fits you? I have a Circuit in parts in my shed that needs to move along.
😄 Haha!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-04-24, 01:23 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
😄 Haha!
One man's acquisition is another's collection reduction. Just saying . . .
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 03-04-24, 01:25 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,972 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
One man's acquisition is another's collection reduction. Just saying . . .
Exactly!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-04-24, 01:41 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by sd5782
It is easier for me now as I got older, and realized that a sport bike with skinny tires is not really doable for me. Out went the Ironman. I spent some recent time fixing up an 84 Torpado that will be up for sale soon. I do have to admit that I won’t really use a full touring bike either. So, it is easier since I’m mostly just on sport tourers now with 32mm and up tires.
You make a good point that helps me understand why I may really like the Trek 750 - it seems like such a great bike to grow with, including growing old with. It's got a semi sloping top tube, so its friendly to HSS (Human Shrinking Syndrome) as Mad Honk so eloquently puts it, it's got just massive tire clearance. Really a great bike.

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I'm at not too different a point from Adventureman. Several years ago I ceased chasing anything other than what I had worked out to be my focus. I've had a couple lapses since then and have a few projects still on my hands, but I'm committed to scaling back on the rate of expansion, and also to finding homes for some of the frames and bicycles that are sitting here which I do not consider to be "keepers" or "potential keepers".

I did an inventory this morning. Excluding the unicycle and tandem, there are 32 bicycles and 8 frames. Four of the frames and seven of the bicycles I have no intention of keeping - however, the frames that remain likely need to be built before I can move them along. I am fortunate to have sufficient space for what will eventually be 29 bicycles. I may decide to let some of those go at some point in the future, but one thing at a time.

Recent "successes" include finding homes for two of the frames which, while nice, just were outside of my parameters.
Yep, things are changing. Sure would be nice to have a 'fast bike', but also, I probably don't need 10 fast bikes.

See, I think it depends on application and resources. Someone that displays museum-quality bicycles, they may easily have 30-50 or more, but it fits with what they are trying to do. I've got less than that, but almost every one is in some hodgepodge state. Less than ideal. I need to get below my means. How I admire the person who can make one bike work for them!

Forgot a couple so I'm up to 61. They're both keepers too.
What has typically been your acquisition ethos? All I really needed in the past was a high enough quality, with a low enough pricepoint. Well, now there are so many 'low enough' pricepoints on some great bikes that I need to seriously adjust. I've already passed up several <$50 Peugeots, 80s Treks and Ironmans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.