Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway Review

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 05:27 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Second time doing this ride but this one was a bit more of a trek. Reviewed last year as well.

The Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway officially starts at Champoeg State Park outside of Newberg but I always begin at my house in Beaverton.

Day 1: Elmonica/SW 170th, Beaverton to Champoeg State Park, Newberg - 34.33 miles
The ride from my house to the official start of the WVSB is a nice ride that takes you through Beaverton and out on busy Highway 99. A few hills along Murrary Blvd are the biggest obstacle of the day. The Safeway in Newberg is the last store you'll see until Salem, about 40 miles into day 2. Champoeg State Park has a hiker/biker camp for $5/per person/per night fee. Away from the main campground, the hiker/biker sites include two covered areas with 4 lockers. The lockers have outlets in them with USB ports. Locks aren't provided but I never lock them. Other outlets also available. Bike rack and bike fixing station available. Fire rings and picnic tables. Firewood for sale. The main campground, which you have access to, has flush toilets and free hot showers. The bike path in the park will take you along the Willamette River through beautiful old growth to Butteville, home of the oldest operating store in Oregon. Open seasonably.

Day 2: Champoeg State Park, Newberk to Pioneer Park, Independence - 69.88 miles
The first 40 miles of this day takes you through the remote countryside and away from civilization. You'll see no stores until you hit the outskirts of Salem. Be careful early here as you'll cross several busy highways without traffic lights. In Salem, you'll pass through State Capital State Park. Stop and take a look at the Oregon State Capital Building off to your left as your pass the Walk of Flags. The Hub Bicycle Shop and Santiam Bicycle are less than a mile off of your route. From Salem you'll head back into the country and make the final push towards Independence. At the Willamette River Bridge, ignore the WVSB sign and head over the bridge, turn right at the 'T' intersection to Pioneer Park on the shores of the Willamette River. This is a hiker/biker site as well. The park will be the water fountain on your right about a mile into town. $10/night per site. Bike fixing station available. Flush toilets 7am-9pm and vault toilets available after hours. Cold shower for free next to the host RV. If you ask the host nicely, they'll let you use the outlet next to the RV. No others available. Community fire pit. No firewood for sale. Picnic tables. A short 3 mile ride will take you into Monmouth, a little bigger town home of Western Oregon University. Warning: The Willamette River often floods here and the park may be closed during the off season from November to March. Be sure to check the water level here. Willamette Mission State Park has camping and is located several miles south of this area. I've never stayed though so I cannot say how the facilities are.

Day 3: Pioneer Park, Independence to Brownsville City Park, Brownsville - 89.99 miles
After backtracking a mile, head under the overpass and back out into the middle of nowhere. The ride will take you along a national wildlife refuge and, 20 miles in, to the town of Jefferson. There's a store here next to the Willamette River. After crossing the river you'll have your first steep climb. A one mile climb up Scravel Hill Road ending in a spectacular view of the valley below. Be sure to check out the cemetery at the summit. After making the downhill run, you'll come into Albany and ride along a busy corridor full of your every day big town stores. At the intersection with the main highway (Highway 34), a 3 mile detour will take you into Corvallis, home of Oregon State University, Two Towns Ciderhouse and Nectar Creek, a meadery. From here the route takes you back into the middle of nowhere as your wind your way through remote countryside. I suggest getting food in Albany as Brownsville has little to offer. In Brownsville, take a right at the city park sign, up the hill and down the hill into the park. I hear it's $15/night per person but I've never paid. No one has ever asked me to pay when I've been there so I haven't bothered. The city park is a hiker/biker camp. Flush toilets available. No showers. Picnic tables. No fire rings. No firewood for sale. Outlets on the outside of the restroom and inside as well. Stores and restaurants available a mile across the river into town. Very limited selection.

Day 4: Brownsville City Park, Brownsville to Armitage County Park, Eugene - 39.67 miles
After leaving Brownsville, you'll head back into the country side and face the toughest climb of the entire trip up Gap Road. This stretch of the ride is the most remote you'll see. After reaching Coburg, a right on Willamette Drive will take you to Armitage County Park. Very limited hiker/biker sites available. $20/night per site. Free hot showers. Flush toilets. Fire rings and picnic tables (except for site #5). Firewood for sale. Avoid the guy host at the entrance, he's always pissed off at the world and will make your trip miserable. Go find the sweet old lady host next to the hiker/biker sites in the back of the park. Outlets available in the bathrooms/showers. A short 5 mile trip past here on Coburg Road, aka Willamette Blvd, will take you into Eugene. Home of the University of Overrated (Oregon) and any services you'll need.

Amtrak available in: Portland, Salem, Albany, Eugene

Feel free to ask any questions etc! Wrote this up in a hurry.
Old 09-06-16, 12:55 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Nice writeup It's been EONS since I've done the WVSB.
Out of curiosity, do you have a map of your route from Beaverton to Champoeg? I'm always interested in checking out new routes there, as the route from Oregon City is tolerable but not great.
Old 09-12-16, 06:13 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Out of curiosity, do you have a map of your route from Beaverton to Champoeg? I'm always interested in checking out new routes there, as the route from Oregon City is tolerable but not great.
Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town all week. Again.

I sure do! I'll post it this evening when I get home. On the road currently!

Thank you
Old 09-12-16, 08:44 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Here you go! I started this from Nike since I work there and it's close (a mile away) from where I live and where I start my ride. I would be heading down Baseline Rd which turns into Jenkins Rd and then turn right onto Murray.

Nike World Headquarters
1 One Bowerman Drive

1. Head southwest on One Bowerman Dr toward SW Murray Blvd
0.1 mile

2. Turn right onto SW Murray Blvd
5.2 miles

Stores along here - Nice bike lane

3. Turn right onto SW Barrows Rd
1.2 miles

Stores along here and my favorite coffee shop (Ava's Roasteria)

4. Turn left onto OR-210 W/SW Scholls Ferry Rd
0.4 miles

5. Turn left onto SW Roy Rogers Rd
4.1 miles

6. Turn right onto SW Lynnly Way
0.2 miles

7. Turn right onto SW Houston Dr
0.1 miles

8. Turn right onto SW Edy Rd
0.6 miles

9. Turn left onto SW Copper Terrace
0.5 miles

10. Turn right onto SW Handley St
0.1 miles

11. Turn left onto SW Elwert Rd
0.5 miles

11A. Turn left to stay on SW Elwert Rd
161 ft

12. Turn right onto OR-99W S/Pacific Hwy W
5.4 miles

Wide shoulder (5-7 feet) - Watch out for the on/off ramps. High speed traffic. Never been an issue though!
Newberg - All your stores are here - Last chance until Mile 40 (Salem) on day 2 for any type of store

13. Turn left onto N Springbrook Rd
1.0 miles

14. Turn left onto OR-219 S/S St Paul Hwy
Continue to follow S St Paul Hwy
1.8 miles

14A. Continue onto OR-219 S
0.7 miles

15. Turn left onto Champoeg Rd NE
2.4 miles

15A. Turn left to stay on Champoeg Rd NE
0.2 miles

15B. Continue to follow Champoeg Rd NE to Champoeg State Park
0.6 miles

Destination will be on the right

If you need more clarification feel free to ask!

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/BIKE/docs/WVMapsandCues.pdf <---- Maps and cues for the the bikeway. Updated January 2016
Old 09-16-16, 11:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Thank you for the write-up. It will be useful soon. I'll be starting from King City (Tualatin), and not riding the full distance.
Old 09-16-16, 01:38 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Thank you for the write-up. It will be useful soon. I'll be starting from King City (Tualatin), and not riding the full distance.
You're welcome. Where will your ending point be?

This is a annual ride for me. I rode solo last year and had a friend ride with me this year. I'd love to have company again next year. I think I'll post on here and see if any of y'all want to join.
Old 09-16-16, 02:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Ty0604
You're welcome. Where will your ending point be?

I will be visiting the Tualatin area periodically and will drive to places where a ride can start.
Statements like:
".... through beautiful old growth to Butteville."
"...remote countryside away from civilization."
should guide me well.
Old 09-16-16, 03:02 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I will be visiting the Tualatin area periodically and will drive to places where a ride can start.
Statements like:
".... through beautiful old growth to Butteville."
"...remote countryside away from civilization."
should guide me well.
Enjoy your ride.

Check out the Banks-Vernonia Trail outside of Portland. 22 miles on way. You'd probably enjoy it. It's a RTR path I believe.
Old 09-16-16, 03:35 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Ty0604
Enjoy your ride. Check out the Banks-Vernonia Trail outside of Portland. 22 miles on way. You'd probably enjoy it. It's a RTR path I believe.

I have ridden a few rides outside Portland.
Sandy to Mt Hood
Seaside to Astoria (& bits of Hwy30)
Scappoose to Longview
Oregon City and south
Hillsboro/Forest Grove area

But never south from Newburg/Champoeg
Old 10-04-16, 01:38 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice write up. This is on my list to do.
Did you ride on weekdays or weekend? Curious how traffic was along the route.

I've ridden from Beaverton to Woodburn via Champoeg. The roads from Champoeg to Woodburn were great, was on the WVSB for part, but I recall some of the roads being narrow with blind curves I wouldn't want to ride later in the day, at least on a Saturday.
Old 10-29-16, 01:02 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fourknees
Nice write up. This is on my list to do.
Did you ride on weekdays or weekend? Curious how traffic was along the route.

I've ridden from Beaverton to Woodburn via Champoeg. The roads from Champoeg to Woodburn were great, was on the WVSB for part, but I recall some of the roads being narrow with blind curves I wouldn't want to ride later in the day, at least on a Saturday.
@fourknees

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on much lately.

It was Labor Day weekend when we did it so traffic was fairly heavy. With the exception of Highway 99 between Beaverton and Newberg you stick to side roads the follow Interstate 5. The route is great and never felt like I was in danger ever. You have to be careful on 99 as the speed limit is 60-70 so naturally cars speed by at 70-80+.
Old 10-30-16, 06:24 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Interesting, I did this ride from Beaverton to Springfield last month, but my route was only 133 miles total. You seem to have added a bunch of extra miles

It was nice other than being bit by a dog at the base of the Scravel Hill climb. It wasn't a severe bite, just barely enough to break the skin. I wasn't going fast enough to escape them so I yelled for their owner, and he eventually emerged from the house and called his dogs back from me, but seemed very unconcerned that I'd been injured by them.

I was also buzzed by an SUV south of Champoeg Park. He would have hit me if I hadn't seen how close he was coming in my rear-view and swerved at the last minute.
Old 10-31-16, 08:45 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
Interesting, I did this ride from Beaverton to Springfield last month, but my route was only 133 miles total. You seem to have added a bunch of extra miles
The route from Newberg to Eugene is 134.1 miles.... Beaverton is about 25 miles north of that and Springfield several miles south of where it ends, which is north of Eugene.