Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lights, Flags or Sign on your trailer

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 10:21 PM
Waterdawg

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure Three

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that I'm using a trailer, I am wanting to add something to make me more visible since the trailer blocks my light.

What do you put on your trailers?

Lights

Flag

Slow Moving Vehicle sign

I'm leaning toward the sign, but if I do, it would be a reflective cloth or plastic version. The metal is a bit heavy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Safety Flag .jpg (31.4 KB, 244 views)
slow vehicle .jpg (9.0 KB, 241 views)
decorated-bike.jpg (103.2 KB, 242 views)
Old 10-19-16, 07:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
American Youth Hostels had a Slow Moving Vehicle Triangle with a waist cord You could tie On Yourself..
2 stiffeners, none across the Bottom, so It Rolled Up.

You a DIY Maker or just a Shopper?
Old 10-20-16, 06:47 AM
Waterdawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
American Youth Hostels had a Slow Moving Vehicle Triangle with a waist cord You could tie On Yourself..
2 stiffeners, none across the Bottom, so It Rolled Up.

You a DIY Maker or just a Shopper?
DIY most of the time
Old 10-20-16, 09:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I expect others will like to see the finished product when you have made it
Old 10-24-16, 09:42 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Big reflector strip, blinkie, flag.
Old 10-25-16, 10:00 AM
burnfatburn

Bikes: Doppleganger M6 series 20 inch steel foldingbike and a Custom Minivelo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I saw a video about a guy using something called swimming pool bar,(I cant recall the name) it is the foam bar used to divide line in swimming pool. He put the bar in on the rear rack, about 50 cm to the side to let drivers know how close they can be to him, 'marking the safe area'.

I wonder if I can get similar foam but fluorescent for my cargo bike

Last edited by burnfatburn; 10-25-16 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-28-16, 09:10 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pool Noodle

Originally Posted by burnfatburn
I saw a video about a guy using something called swimming pool bar,(I cant recall the name) it is the foam bar used to divide line in swimming pool. He put the bar in on the rear rack, about 50 cm to the side to let drivers know how close they can be to him, 'marking the safe area'.

I wonder if I can get similar foam but fluorescent for my cargo bike
Is this what you saw: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/10/18/cyclist-says-his-pool-noodle-makes-toronto-streets-safer-for-him.html?campaign_id=A100

They come in many colors and can be obtained in the summer at least at the dollar store. I've thought about this too.
Old 10-29-16, 02:40 AM
burnfatburn

Bikes: Doppleganger M6 series 20 inch steel foldingbike and a Custom Minivelo Tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fourknees
Is this what you saw: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...mpaign_id=A100

They come in many colors and can be obtained in the summer at least at the dollar store. I've thought about this too.

yes thats it, thanks

euh... I have no summer here, because its already 360 days of summer well I think I have to find some pool equipment store here, might be later
Old 10-31-16, 06:48 AM
Waterdawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, that is a great idea. I don't know if any states have a distance rule here, but that sure would help. Of course this won't help them see you, just judge distance.
Old 11-05-16, 03:53 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

i find them on the street on Saturdays. Must be flying out of the boats going to the marina. I have a bunch of them now for ... the pool. Cool idea though.
Old 11-09-16, 03:56 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
My BOB has the original flag, plus I mounted a tail light. I commute at 4am and I need all the attention I can muster!

I used a piece of EMT conduit and some hangers to make a "light pole" of sorts:

Last edited by steve-in-kville; 11-13-16 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 04:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Mobile billboard Extrawheel It?s an creative advertising! the purpose of the trailer is carrying the sign.
Old 11-21-16, 09:35 AM
Waterdawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
My BOB has the original flag, plus I mounted a tail light. I commute at 4am and I need all the attention I can muster!

I used a piece of EMT conduit and some hangers to make a "light pole" of sorts:

Love the Bob and how you set up the light.
Old 11-21-16, 09:45 AM
Waterdawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remembered I had this flag I used on my kayak when in transport. I tried it on the trailer. It's light weight and I'd say - stands out. I also got a second mount for my tail light and added it to the trailer so I can switch it back and forth between the bike and trailer.

This is me on the D&H Rail Trail Saturday biking 25 miles (round trip) to drop off my garbage at the town transfer station and then head to the grocery store. It was 57 degrees. The following day this would be covered in 10" of snow.
Attached Images
bike trailer.jpg (95.5 KB, 167 views)
Snow .jpg (65.1 KB, 164 views)
Old 11-21-16, 05:29 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
I found these very bright 1" diameter LED lights on Ebay They are currently GBP£1.29, which at today's exchange rate is US$1.62

So far I have fitted them to my utility hybrid and my personal trailer, and three of them will be going onto the rear of the tadpole trike I am presently building, and I will probably be fitting them on to any other complete bikes & trikes I may build in the future.

They have 3 modes; steady light, fast flash and slow flash. They can easily been seen out to 85 metres in all modes and they are waterproof .... I can vouch for that because here in the UK it is almost always very wet.

They have an anodized aluminium body of about 1" diameter and are available in 4 colours, with "O"ring seals between the sections and fix in place with a single M5 X 0.8 Set screw or with the supplied rubber band. I have used an M5X 0.8 A4 stainless steel button head hex set screw for permanent fixing onto my bike and trailer, and I will also use the same on the trike.
Attached Images
IMG_7129.jpg (97.7 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by Gareth; 11-22-16 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 07:17 AM
Waterdawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gareth
I found these very bright 1" diameter LED lights on Ebay. They are currently GBP£1.29, which at today's exchange rate is US$1.62

So far I have fitted them to my utility hybrid and my personal trailer, and they will be going onto the tadpole trike I am currently building, and then on to any other complete bikes & trikes I may build in the future

They have 3 modes; solid light, fast flash and slow flash. They can easily been seen out to 85 metres in all modes and they are water proof.... I can vouch for that because here in the UK it is very wet.

They have an anodized aluminium body of about 1" diameter and are available in 4 colours, with "o"ring seals between the sections and fix in place with a single M5 X 0.8 Set screw or with the supplied rubber band. I have use an M5X 0.8 stainless steel button hex set screw for permanent fixing onto my bike and trailer, and will on the trike.
Nice, what's the story behind the blue circle with the light? In the US, that makes me think Handicapped Access. I guess because our permits for Handicap Parking are Blue and White.
Old 11-22-16, 08:08 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

https://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/Im...ndmarkings.jpg
Originally Posted by Waterdawg
Nice, what's the story behind the blue circle with the light? In the US, that makes me think Handicapped Access. I guess because our permits for Handicap Parking are Blue and White.
Most UK advisory road signs have a blue background; compulsory road signs have a red border.

2 of those small Blue reflective bicycle signs were "liberated" from the scrapped wooden posts of the cycle stands at a local beauty spot and view point when they were changed out for Stainless Steel Sheffield style stands ... ... ... well, I just couldn't allow them to go on to the rubbish pile and into landfill now, could I.

https://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/Im...ndmarkings.jpg
Attached Images
Cyclingsignsandmarkings.jpg (77.5 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by Gareth; 11-22-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-24-16, 07:02 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm tempted to mount one of these on my trailer... that'll keep the cars away from me! (bet the state police would have something to say about it, though!)

Old 11-24-16, 09:45 AM
Gareth

Many tadpole trike riders here in the UK have a small windsock on 2 metre long fibreglass poles.

I have even seen several very colourful birds, fish and Dragon style windsocks flown from tadpole trikes.

But I am tempted to fly a 1.2m/4 ft wing span Hawk style bird scarer kite behind my next tadpole trike
Attached Images
carp-kites.jpg (103.3 KB, 140 views)
kite.jpg (24.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 11-27-16, 06:50 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flags induce a MASSIVE amount of drag.

I think that a good blinky light and reflective tape will be the most effective. Mount the light at the farthest point outside the centerline (maybe a fender), and it will make people notice the trailer and its extra width.
Old 12-01-16, 10:15 AM
jung

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ Gareth, how long do the batteries last in those little 1" LEDs? Thanks!
Old 12-01-16, 10:49 AM
keg61
short WIDE Clyde

Bikes: 2014 Nashbar flatbar roadbike

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I'm tempted to mount one of these on my trailer... that'll keep the cars away from me! (bet the state police would have something to say about it, though!)

don't do the explosive placard, i was a truck driver for 22 years you CAN and i would guess will be fined for that
Old 12-01-16, 11:00 AM
Gareth

Over 30 hours of operation in slow flashing mode, and in all weathers from -0.6*C frost to pouring rain so far and I've only had them for 3 weeks. The light is still flashing brightly and I expect it to go to at least 100 hours on a set of batteries.

I have got some more of the same blinkys on order as I would like to put a white one on the front of my hybrid bike, my crossover and red ones on the rear of my trike and its trailer.

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.n...16&oe=58F957D7

I had one of these arrive today and I intend to have it fitted to my hybrid for the weekend so that I can see if it is suitable to have a pair of them fixed on my trike as the front lights. I only use my trike from the spring until the autumn but I have two long trips planned for it next June which will include riding about 95 miles through the night from the International Cargo Bike Festival in Nijmegen to Rotterdam to catch the morning ferry, and then when the ferry docks ride 60 miles through the night again from Harwich back home to Norwich before resting for two days and then setting out on the 190 mile ride over 2 nights to the International Pedal Powered Convention in York. Then a month later I just may ride the trike in the 100 mile over night Dunwich Dynamo.

This light is also about 1" diameter, has 6 LEDS with a steady and quick flashing mode and is powered by 2 X CR2032 batteries I have tried out in the dark already this evening, albeit not fitted to the bike yet and it throws out enough illumination to ride on unlit roads OK.
Attached Images
blinky Blue.jpg (44.5 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Gareth; 12-01-16 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 11:27 AM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Bell fluorescence flag and fiberglass pole that I purchased at Fred Meyer and a blinky light on my BOB yak trailer. I've also added a small pirate flag below the fluorescence because ARRRRRGGHH!
Old 12-01-16, 07:07 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Hey @Waterdawg I'm in the same boat. I have a BOB Ibex and I really worry about being seen, especially when riding in the woods & mountains at night on roads that are poorly lit with lots of curves & hills. If the trailer is fully loaded with camping gear the gear often blocks the light on the rear of the bike. So I've taken to putting a light as high as possible on whatever I have piled on the trailer.

But my latest quest is to find a decent flag as I'm not such a huge fan of the plain yellow BOB branded one. Most pennants I've found are either too large, too small, or unappealing to my aesthetic.

I also clip a fairly bright light to either the back of my helmet or my stoker's helmet if I'm on the tandem at night.

I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to get one of those reflective 'Slow Vehicle' triangles as well... but I end up passing a lot of cars when going downhill on mountain roads (on the tandem sans trailer) so that might not be entirely appropriate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.