Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Eye Problems in Cold Weather

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 11:53 AM
skyclad69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello....
I'm new to this forum, and didn't really see an appropriate category for this specific question, so I'm posting here.. Please let me know if this should go elsewhere..
This is a bit off the wall, but for years I've noticed that when the temps get below like 45 or so, my eyes "tear up" in a big way when riding and make it difficult to see.. Ordinary bike glasses do not work, so I'm wondering if there is anything you guys might know of that could help this issue.. Due to this malady, I've had to omit cold weather biking completely.. Would like to bike year around again!
Thanks in advance for any help on this....
Old 09-09-18, 12:40 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.giro.com/us_en/vanquish-mips.html
Old 09-09-18, 12:41 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
You might try goggles that seal out the weather, such as might be sold to skiers or motorcyclists. I have the same problem, but it isn't the cold; it's the cold plus the wind.
Old 09-09-18, 12:54 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 to ski goggles. They are a must when commuting during the upper midwest winters.
Old 09-09-18, 01:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I think there are cycling specific sunglasses that might be worth trying, even if you don't need prescription glasses.
Old 09-09-18, 01:14 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I bought one of these and it really keeps the wind off of my eyes and is a lot less expensive than some similar style helmets:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DZQX5DP...d_i=B07DZQX5DP
Old 09-09-18, 01:15 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Maybe some tight fitting wrap-around sport glasses. ????
Old 09-09-18, 04:47 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
toughen up and get out there. your eyes will adjust
Old 09-09-18, 05:27 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I wear prescription glasses, so in many respects, goggles don't work well for me. That said, except in the coldest weather (under 15-20F, or so) my eyes will adjust after about 5 minutes, once I've warmed up. When it is super cold, my balaclavas help with my eyes, I find.

If you aren't a prescription glasses wearer, get a set of wrap around safety glasses from UVEX (these are sold in many hardware stores). They have an eye seal all the way around. You can drill a few holes in the lenses if they fog up.
Old 09-09-18, 07:14 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by skyclad69
Hello....
I'm new to this forum, and didn't really see an appropriate category for this specific question, so I'm posting here.. Please let me know if this should go elsewhere..
This is a bit off the wall, but for years I've noticed that when the temps get below like 45 or so, my eyes "tear up" in a big way when riding and make it difficult to see.. Ordinary bike glasses do not work, so I'm wondering if there is anything you guys might know of that could help this issue.. Due to this malady, I've had to omit cold weather biking completely.. Would like to bike year around again!
MOD NOTE: This is a fine forum for your question.

I changed the thread title to better reflect the topic.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-09-18, 07:51 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
About 10 years ago I temporarily went blind at 20k' in Peru. Even though my vision came back within a couple days, I did some sort of permanent damage. Now I get terrible irritation in the wind. The day after a really long ride is rough.

I would like to switch to legit goggles but the fog issue would be unacceptable.

For now, good glasses with good coverage and eye drops seems to help. I'll probably get one of those helmets with an eye shield eventually but damn are they ugly.
Old 09-09-18, 08:17 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
All joking aside, it's threads like these that make me realize even more benefits that come with wearing contact lenses; not only am I afforded UV protection, but they also shield my eyes incredibly well against colder winds while riding. I feel my eyes still water the same amount however, my eyes remain far more comfortable when riding with contact lenses in, than without, especially on the slopes. Obviously you wouldn't buy/wear them for this purpose alone, I just thought I'd share my insight (or rather lack thereof).
Old 09-09-18, 10:07 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by skyclad69
Hello....
Ah, the ol' teary eyes while barrelling down a hill with your hair on ice! I use Wiley-X SG1 sunglasses for sunny days and change the lenses to clear as the situation dictate. Instead of the regular temples I use the replaceable head straps and use them like goggles. It keeps the wind out of my eyes and not as cumbersome as ski goggles. Saved my eyes a few times out in the Middle East.
Old 09-09-18, 11:31 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
No they won't, its genetic.

I suffer from a similar malady and its just something I try to avoid. But its not the cold (<55 degrees), as much as its the wind -- a dry wind. Riding, running, or even walking into a cold wind and not only do my eyes start to tear, but my noise starts running like a faucet. It makes riding so unenjoyable I just avoid going out altogether.
Originally Posted by dylandewandel
All joking aside, it's threads like these that make me realize even more benefits that come with wearing contact lenses; not only am I afforded UV protection, but they also shield my eyes incredibly well against colder winds while riding. I feel my eyes still water the same amount however, my eyes remain far more comfortable when riding with contact lenses in, than without, especially on the slopes. Obviously you wouldn't buy/wear them for this purpose alone, I just thought I'd share my insight (or rather lack thereof).
Infection much? I could fill half a database from issue with contacts.
Old 09-10-18, 06:13 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Well if it's genetic then live with it. Good thing your ancestors from many years ago didn't suffer this genetic condition
Old 09-10-18, 06:38 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these for all kinds of things and very affordable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Profe...0025/205137846
Old 09-10-18, 08:10 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Ah, the ol' teary eyes while barrelling down a hill with your hair on ice! I use Wiley-X SG1 sunglasses for sunny days and change the lenses to clear as the situation dictate. Instead of the regular temples I use the replaceable head straps and use them like goggles. It keeps the wind out of my eyes and not as cumbersome as ski goggles. Saved my eyes a few times out in the Middle East.
How are they with fog? Could you ride up a mountain pass as hard as you can on an 80 degree day? How about on a 50 degree day?

I find mountain passes to be the biggest challenge to eyewear, my heart rate will be 150+ up to 180 for the climb and I'm sometimes only going 4mph, probably never more than 10. It's not fast enough to dry the fog and it's a time when the most moisture is pouring from me.
Old 09-10-18, 08:27 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Not to be indelicate, but what do you need the glasses for when slogging up a hill at 4mph? Take 'em off. My sunglasses are prescription, and when heading up a humid hillclimb, the glasses go in the helmet vents-- that is if the helmet hasn't come off already. I've little need for eye and crash protection when moving slightly faster than walking speed.

I will also recommend Wiley-X. They have a whole line of motorcycling sunglasses with removable gaskets so they seal around the eyes, and pretty much all of them are available with prescription lenses.
Old 09-10-18, 08:34 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Well, I looked them up and they all had straps. Agree if they have regular arms.
Old 09-10-18, 08:39 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Well, I looked them up and they all had straps. Agree if they have regular arms.
They have regular arms.
Old 09-10-18, 08:40 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
WIley X with "Facial Cavity Seal" and regular arms:

Airrage
Brick
Enzo
Gravity
Rebel
Sleek
Tide
Titan
Wave

...and those are just the ones I found in the first minute or two.
Old 09-10-18, 08:48 AM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by rosefarts
How are they with fog? Could you ride up a mountain pass as hard as you can on an 80 degree day? How about on a 50 degree day?

I find mountain passes to be the biggest challenge to eyewear, my heart rate will be 150+ up to 180 for the climb and I'm sometimes only going 4mph, probably never more than 10. It's not fast enough to dry the fog and it's a time when the most moisture is pouring from me.
I haven't had an issue with fogging during cold dry days. Humid days in heat...ugh, forget about it. I use the regular temples during those days so it vents a little and prevents fogging.
Old 09-10-18, 10:40 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I ride year round down to near freezing temps and have the same issue but it only last for about a mile and then my eyes seem to get used to it as long as I'm not going really fast, like a steep descent, when they tend to tear up no matter what the temperature.

If you haven't already, you might try just starting out at a very leisurely pace till your eyes adjust to the cold and then transition to your normal speed.

If it's a sustained issue about all you can do is get better wind protection, i.e. enclosed goggles or large shield.
Old 09-10-18, 02:26 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Infection much? I could fill half a database from issue with contacts.
Hygiene is a personal problem; your database would primarily contain cases of user error; don't blame the equipment! I've been wearing contact lenses daily for almost 10 years without issue, they make me feel superhuman.
Old 09-10-18, 05:04 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Well if it's genetic then live with it. Good thing your ancestors from many years ago didn't suffer this genetic condition
On the contrary, they did. Some adapted, but adaptation takes thousands of years. Others, just migrated and got out of Dodge to someplace warmer where this malady didn't matter or was even a benefit. But that's just my perspective on the issue I experience.
Originally Posted by dylandewandel
Hygiene is a personal problem; your database would primarily contain cases of user error; don't blame the equipment! I've been wearing contact lenses daily for almost 10 years without issue, they make me feel superhuman.
Be that as it may, even the most anal individual has issues with contacts from time to time. To suggest otherwise is being disingenuous. Anybody that's ever worn contacts knows that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.